• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Piling on Marvin

benhillboy

• Premium Member

Poor Marvin, he seems like a nice guy. His spotlight show on SportSouth was probably the worst 30 minutes of television EVER, despite it being played 10 times a day. Hopefully the guy can find his way to a couple appearances on Duck Dynasty and revive his career.

• Like 4

Marvin really hurt my charcoal heart this season. I was telling everyone who'd listen Utah was the perfect place for him to spread his wings and -- well, yeah, you know. ~lw3

It was just a wierd move for them to make personnel-wise. Devin is arguably better than all 4 PGs (or at least equal to Mo if you're a fan of his) that they have on their roster, while Marvin is their fourth-best forward, fifth if you count Haywood who can easily play 3. Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Honestly, I thought Marvin would show something this year for the Jazz. I guess they thought that Devin's fast-pace style didn't fit with Al Jefferson and they went for surrounding him with jumpshooters? Really silly. It was silly for me to expect anything of Marvin after, what, 7 years?

• Premium Member

Have you watched Korver at all this season??

It's true Korver has been shooting lights out as ever, but his defense is obviously weak. Come playoff time, better defenders (like Marvin) are very necessary. Not saying I miss Marvin, but, Korver isn't starting material either.

• Admin

It's true Korver has been shooting lights out as ever, but his defense is obviously weak. Come playoff time, better defenders (like Marvin) are very necessary. Not saying I miss Marvin, but, Korver isn't starting material either.

Korver was all out hustle on defense. He may not be a great one on one defender but he doesn't slack off for one play.
  • Like 1

Korver's defensive rating was 105 this season (107 for his career). Marvin's was 109 this season (108 for his career). And just in case you don't know, lower D rating is better.Korver's better than Duck in every way. Sorry.

Korver was all out hustle on defense. He may not be a great one on one defender but he doesn't slack off for one play.

We all see things differently, but it puzzles me so many can't see this. Even with his limited athleticism, he's always trying to pressure the dribble, shot, or pass with quick, strong arms and hands. He had about 2 or 3 game-saving blocks this year (one on Kobe Bean for goodness sake) and always commits good, hard fouls when he gets beat off he dribble. Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Korver is a coach on the floor. His one on one defense is poor, sure. But he talks and tells his teammates where to be and go. That can't be dismissed. All around, he's just a better player than Marvin.

Marvin really hurt my charcoal heart this season. I was telling everyone who'd listen Utah was the perfect place for him to spread his wings and -- well, yeah, you know.

~lw3

Marvin was (is) a true oddity when it comes to the professional sport of basketball. A conondrum.

Let's be fair - Marvin DID look like a true up-and-comer from UNC. Sure - they went overboard - but it's not surprising since it was UNC and Marvin seemed to have all the tools. IMO Marvin (not him personally) was the primary cause of the Shelden mistake (you can't trust those UNC guys - a solid Duke player is safe)...and, of course, Shelden sucked too.

Marvin is a riddle - wrapped up in an enigma...or maybe...just maybe...he is lazy and got all he needs.

Edited by DJlaysitup