• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Former Hawk JJ fails to advance . .

Gray Mule

You guys sound so bitter. Sound like some kids. Joe gave us his prime years and started our playoff run, you guys r happy he didn't advance? Seriously? Joe came here when no one wanted to and still don't. Management gave him that contract he didn't ask for it. Is his play worth is contract? No, but don't bash him a great former Hawk.We need to be focused on our current group of bums who just got knocked out the playoffs.

• Like 4

Yeah, I liked JJ when he was a Hawk. He was very good, border line great.

He made the all star team, year after year. Selected, never voted in.

He came here to be a big frog in a small pond. It worked. He lifted us up

to the playoffs with his skills. Fearful of losing him, Hawks paid him a lot

more than he was worth. Super star money for borderline star. We did it.

He just took what we gave him.

The load was too heavy for the Hawks and, when he was unloaded, we gave

a big sigh of relief. We're still glad that huge contract is gone. Not so much

JJ the player but JJ, the huge contract.

JJ did a great Josh imitation in game seven against the Bulls. We are told

that he has a sore foot and that's why things went south. Well, if the three

ball is not falling, AKA Josh, why do you continue to toss it up there? Nine

times you tried and one went in.

One other, with the one three, made two of fourteen. And, since you were

sore footed, you couldn't drive so you only had one free throw, which you

made. You managed to spend 38 minutes on the floor.

Why did you stay out there? Why did your coach leave you out there? Why

did you continue shooting when you and everyone else, including your coach,

know that something was wrong?

I'm not a hater of JJ. I'm glad we had him here. He wanted to come when others

didn't want to have anything to do with us. We overpaid (Our fault) and I'm glad

that he is a Net right now.

+

Eddie . . . most people did not like Joe Johnson. That's why the dude, despite not being asked to be traded from Atlanta, gets BOOED when he comes back . . . like he was the one that left the Hawks or something.

Why would a fan base boo a guy who got traded away, if he didn't force his way out?

When Jamal Crawford came back to ATL in a Clippers uniform, there were no boos for Jamal. If/when Marvin comes back in a Utah ( or some other uniform ), there aren't going to be any boos for Marvin. But that crowd had no problem booing JJ twice, when he came back to ATL . . . because they never liked him, despite what little he may have done here.

My issue with Ferry is that you don't trade a guy like JJ for scraps. Ferry took a deal, got stared in the face by the Nets, and accepted the bare minimum they could give. Thank God that Houston traded for Harden, and made the playoffs. If not for that, we wouldn't have anything to show from that deal, but a bunch of cap space and some slim hope that CP3 and Howard would want to play here . . even though they've NEVER said anything about playing in ATL.

But we'll see if Ferry can pull off a miracle. If he can't, he'll be forced to build the team the hard way. If that's the case, we all may be on the outside looking in, when it comes to the playoffs.

People can celebrate Ferry and call him a genius or brilliant, but I reserve the right to be skeptical that he can build that winner he seeks here, until I see the type of moves he'll make this summer.

Okay so what do you mean when you say people didn't like Joe? You mean his game, him personally, or what? If you are equating criticizing his game or booing him with personal hate then you are asserting your own interpretation of how you feel when you hear him not being praised onto other people's mindset. That is just plain ignorant. Joe was vanilla, plain grits, toast with no jelly boring as a person. Whether he strongarmed his way into his contract doesn't matter. He took the money to be the man and let us down big time. This is a fact. Now you can take this and spin it your way to make you feel better by defending the guy against his own hole he dug with the fanbase in general by choosing to look at his tenure here through rose-colored glasses. But your continued defense of him is the only real evidence any of us have to go on here to fairly assume you just don't look at the guy with any amount of scrutiny whatsoever. That is called cognitive dissonance.

And as for Ferry pulling off miracles, he already did by getting some sucker to take Joe. And you language is very indicative that you are very pessimistic about what hasn't even been done yet. So here you are making yourself out to clearly be a sourpuss still about Joe and about the Hawks future. What a fan!

I was rooting for the Nets, for Joe to hit some shots and I was never a fan of his. However, my judgement is colored by my haterd of the Bulls and their annoying fans (or is it the other way around?) And the other Chicago fans that show up at Braves games. I am glad he's gone, but I imagine more than a few current Hawks players wish he was here to have taken thier place as goat for the playoff exit.

Some of you dudes, sans Northcyde said we weren't going to be ish without Joe. You know who you are, the ole trusty search engine tells all (squawk search engine is better than google, no lie).

The team actually scored a point better than Joe from last season. We would have beaten indy with Zaza I can say without blinking. We really got nothing from the Jersey faction and gave the Pacers a series when we really should have been swept. I wish Joe well except for when he said he will work harder than he ever has for the Nets, paraphrasing.

Some of you dudes, sans Northcyde said we weren't going to be ish without Joe. You know who you are, the ole trusty search engine tells all (squawk search engine is better than google, no lie).

So this season was a success? I don't really understand this comment as I thought our season was far from impressive.

So this season was a success? I don't really understand this comment as I thought our season was far from impressive.

Exceeded expectations even with injuries to players we couldn't afford to lose. For a Hawk fan, that's success. I expected to get swept by Indy but the team fought back for the most part.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Nets went all in and broke the bank on players at their peaks or on the decline. When you make a move like that, 49 regular seasons wins and a miserable first round exit = complete failure. Their room for improvement is extremely limited. They're more likely to fall than rise in the EC standings next season. Ferry could miss on every move for the rest of his career and it wouldn't change the fact that it was a great trade.

Anybody can go check the threads. A lot of saw this coming and called the Nets out for it.

I just didn't know it would happen against a team missing its former MVP, his backup, and the team's 2012-13 All-Star SF.

The deck couldn't have been stacked much more in favor of the Nets on the injury front and they still were a first round exit.

Not remotely surprising and this bodes very poorly for their future over the next 3 years.

• Premium Member

Now everyone here can rest easy.

JJ had a horrible game, although he was definitely hurting. Still no excuse for the type of game he had. He relied way too much on the 3 ball, shooting 9 threes on 14 total shots . . and only made 1 of them.

He's the new John Starks in NYC. We'll see how much venom the NYC media goes after him with, or will they give him a little leeway because he was hurt.

My guess is that Brooklyn will start to turn their back on JJ, until he proves he can be a more consistent player.

Ironically though, it was defense and rebounding that ultimately lost the game for the Nets. JJ's shooting definitely didn't help the cause either.

Everybody likes to focus on game 7. Go back a few games. The triple overtime game. CJ Watson and the refs did a good job of making sure that the nets would not advance. Moreovrer Who the hell was to guard Joakim Noah? He looked like a freakin allstar out there. Just watch.. Bulls lay down for Heat. Sweep.

• Premium Member

The team actually scored a point better than Joe from last season. We would have beaten indy with Zaza I can say without blinking. We really got nothing from the Jersey faction and gave the Pacers a series when we really should have been swept. I wish Joe well except for when he said he will work harder than he ever has for the Nets, paraphrasing.

IF we would have kept Joe. Traded Marvin for HInrich and Harris, we would have not only beaten the Pacers but we would have prolly been in our first ECF ever.

You forget that HOrf missed most of last year. So matching these stats to those stats is useless.

BTW, I would not call this year success. SO we made the playoffs. WHooptidamn do. The make up of our team is not better than some teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Cleveland is made up better than us.

Right now we are mediocre with a side of low BBIQ.

• Moderators

IF we would have kept Joe. Traded Marvin for HInrich and Harris, we would have not only beaten the Pacers but we would have prolly been in our first ECF ever.

You forget that HOrf missed most of last year. So matching these stats to those stats is useless.

BTW, I would not call this year success. SO we made the playoffs. WHooptidamn do. The make up of our team is not better than some teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Cleveland is made up better than us.

Right now we are mediocre with a side of low BBIQ.

What? This is crazy. You do remember that with Joe we were a first round exit last year? So you think with last year's team plus Devin Harris (minus Marvin) we would have been in the ECF? How is that team better than the Nets roster this year?

How could this season not be a success? We were equal to last season's team in terms of record and playoff performance, we had more injuries, we were a much more exciting team, and unlike last year we go into the offseason with the opportunity to rebuild our team into hopefully something that works.

To try to keep up the delusion that the Joe Johnson led Hawks were one player away from the ECF at this point is laughable. Everything points to the opposite. That we were sinking in relevancy. Why? It was't all Joe's fault but a big three of Joe, Josh, and Al didn't work because a good defensive team could stop them more times than not. Hell even Joe knew it was't working. Did he ever say 'damn i wish we could have given it one more go because we were so close'. No. He said 'Finally i'm on a team with a chance to do something' I"m paraphrasing of course.

With Joe and Zaza I think we beat the Pacers and would put up a hell of a fight with the Knicks so yeah I can see us possibly in the ECF this year.But Diesel that is some serious BS you're pouring out about the refs keeping Brooklyn from advancing! You actually think that Stern wanted to see them eliminated that quickly? They're a serious money draw in that market and while sure the Bulls are as well, there's no way in hell Stern had the refs give the series to the Bulls.

• Premium Member

Something tells me JJ would make an awesome Vegas cooler.

I don't understand, I am pretty sure that Northcyde said that JJ was the man and all he needed was to be surrounded by a true #1 and a very good supporting cast? And I'm pretty sure he's got that in Brooklyn with a true 7' center, a legit star PG, a very good defensive SF who plays hard and one of the better defending / rebounding PFs in the league. So how does that team, with the superstar JJ, not advance past the 1st round against a Bulls team missing easily their best player?

Bottom line - 6 points on 2 of 14 shooting is a maybe the most disappointing performance ever provided by someone making $20 million per year.

like i said harris could easily replace that point production