• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yet another Hawks article

bird_dirt

• Premium Member

Writers just love writing about the Hawks these days, what with all the open-endedness of this off season. HOOPWORLD ARTICLE If nothing else, it should be interesting.

Not liking what I'm reading in that article as far as the tone is concerned. It seems it's screaming "let's get rid of the old mediocrity so we can rebuild new mediocrity!". Simply letting Josh go, bringing back Teague with Lou and Horford and filling out the team with serviceable players is not going to cut it!

Not liking what I'm reading in that article as far as the tone is concerned. It seems it's screaming "let's get rid of the old mediocrity so we can rebuild new mediocrity!". Simply letting Josh go, bringing back Teague with Lou and Horford and filling out the team with serviceable players is not going to cut it!

You must 1st look at reality. Sure its possible for Paul to leave $25 mill on the table in LA and come to Atlanta but the chance of it happening are slim.

If all the stars don't align then bringing back Teague (on the right contract) is a good move.

Its fine to take a swing at Paul and Howard but if they stay in LA then life goes on.

• Premium Member

You must 1st look at reality. Sure its possible for Paul to leave $25 mill on the table in LA and come to Atlanta but the chance of it happening are slim. If all the stars don't align then bringing back Teague (on the right contract) is a good move. Its fine to take a swing at Paul and Howard but if they stay in LA then life goes on.

There probably will be other viable options the Hawks can pursue other than Paul and Howard, even if it takes a couple of years. I'd rather see the Hawks exhibit patience than to sink contracts into Corey Brewer's, Pekovic's, Mayo's and Jefferson's of this free agency class. Doing that will only lead to new mediocrity.

• Premium Member

Actually the worst thing we can do IMO is if we miss out on the big names is to settle for B list guys and pay them and it kills our cap again. I'd rather keep the cap space for next year.

• Like 1

There probably will be other viable options the Hawks can pursue other than Paul and Howard, even if it takes a couple of years. I'd rather see the Hawks exhibit patience than to sink contracts into Corey Brewer's, Pekovic's, Mayo's and Jefferson's of this free agency class. Doing that will only lead to new mediocrity.

Pekovic wouldn't be a waste of money at all. I think the most he can be offered is $12 million and I'm sure Minnesota will match that but if not I'd offer him 4/48 all day long or whatever the full amount would he with raises and not think twice about it. Getting Mayo for 7 million or so would be a great deal too if we could get him for that.

Having cap space is not only about signing FAs for one season but also about the ability to make trades. We can acquire assets to use in a trade at the deadline or next year. Boston was able to trade for KG and Ray because they had young assets that teams wanted. There is varying ways to build a team if you are unable to get Paul or Howard (which is a long shot).