• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Jason Kidd

Ur right nbasoup couldn't complete a sentence with some kind of error. I guess I got thrown off by the Teague hate and Mayo references from prior posts.

Ur right nbasoup couldn't complete a sentence with some kind of error. I guess I got thrown off by the Teague hate and Mayo references from prior posts.

Could be an older and more educated sibling though so who knows.
  • Like 1

Looks like Jason Kidd has risen through the ranks pretty quickly as far as being a head coach candidate. Who knew. Nets are rumored to be down to between Kidd and Shaw for their vacant spot. I still believe that adding Kidd to our list of assistants would be another solid move on the Spirit's part.

What year is this? 1969? How does a player go straight from the court to a head coaching position in less than 3 months? Are the Nets sure that they don't want him to be a back up also just to fulfill the whole nostalgic player coach thing?

I think its too risky of a move for the nets. For a team that is going to be in luxury tax hell for the next couple of years and is expected to win now the 1 thing you can change is the coach. They should of hired an established coach or atleast a big time assistant not someone who has ZERO coaching experience.

I actually love the move and think that as long as he gets some strong assistant coaches he could do a great job. I mean he's been an elite PG for a very long time and was basically a coach on the court anyway. The players love him and will respect him and he'll be able to relate to them very well. Plus he's got an intimate (no homo) relationship with the ref's so that's an advantage as well. Sure it's a big risk but the Warriors took a big risk going for Mark Jackson and that worked out really well and I think Kidd should be able to do as well and maybe better.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Surprising that he made the jump like that. I'm sure he spent all last season in NY thinking if Woodson can do this, surely I can do it too.

Sounds like it is a done deal now according to Berger and multiple other sources.

• Premium Member

I love Jason Kidd. He's the first jersey I bought on my own, his original Dallas rookie jersey. But this is a mistake for both sides. I do think Kidd could be a great coach and maybe he will be right off the bat but I doubt it. He needed at least two or three years as an assistant coach first.

• Premium Member

As a move, I think it's a good one for the Nets. The Nets have a vet team who will likely know what Kidd is talking about and Kidd is likely to bringin strong assistants. Kidd has played everywhere and for everybody so he probably has a very good coaching style.

Emphasis for the Nets will be on passing, defending, and rebounding instead of scoring, which is good considering their best three players are predominantly scorers yet they were in the bottom half of the league in Team PPG. It's a gamble for sure, but he's certainly near the top of the list of players around his age who you'd consider making that drastic a coaching decision. If and when guys like Timmy, Hinrich, Battier, Fish, and Grant decide to transition, I'm sure they'll assist extensively before getting an interview for a Head. They'll most likely be employed by someone less flamboyant than Prokorov, too.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

I'm listening to 92.9 saying that this is a sports accident.

I will say it like this.

This is the effect of Mark Jackson and Doc Rivers. Neither of these guys were assistant coaches. Both went right into coaching... Pat Riley too. I think Kidd will be successful.