• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks hire Darvin Ham

ryandauwalker

Edited by Dolfan23

http://www.nba.com/hawks/#/story/news/darvin-ham-returns-hawks-organization-assistant- DARVIN HAM RETURNS TO HAWKS ORGANIZATION AS ASSISTANT COACH ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Hawks have named Darvin Ham as an assistant coach, Hawks Head Coach Mike Budenholzer announced today. Ham spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Lakers.Darvin has a great feel for the game and knows what it takes for a team to be successful and compete at a high level," Budenholzer said. He was a smart player who played with intensity and toughness every night and he has gone about coaching the same way.Prior to his stint with the Lakers, Ham was the head coach of the New Mexico Thunderbirds of the NBA Development League in 2010-11 and an assistant coach with the Thunderbirds from 2008-10. As a player, the eight-year veteran appeared in 417 career games (45 starts) with Denver, Indiana, Washington, Milwaukee, Atlanta and Detroit, averaging 2.7 points and 2.3 rebounds in 12.4 minutes (.518 FG%). He also played in 55 postseason games (with the Bucks and Pistons; 11 starts), putting up 1.3 points and 1.2 rebounds in 7.4 minutes (.569 FG%), starting 11 times.

I like the hire but honestly I didn't think Ham was a "smart" player on the court. I think he was an athletic dunker for sure but not necessarily the smartest cookie

Did you really think his family wanted to live in Charlotte over Atlanta? :-)

Clearly you've never lived in Charlotte. That's one of the nicest cities in America to raise a family. It's expensive but it's really nice and growing quickly. If you're in your 20's maybe it's not the spot for you but as a family guy in your 30's-40's and up I'd take Charlotte every day of the week over living in a major city like Atlanta or Houston.

I like the hire but honestly I didn't think Ham was a "smart" player on the court. I think he was an athletic dunker for sure but not necessarily the smartest cookie

We hired him to make Dwight feel smart :)

• Premium Member

Sounds like a great hire for the Hawks! Does Ham's hiring help with the Dwight Howard situation (Probably not but I was hoping!)?

I think so. Not from the perspective that he's Dwight's best friend or something.. I don't expect that after a year he would be that, But I do believe that he will be a better mouthpiece to D12 than Smoove was.

I give Ferry an A+ so far this offseason.

He let the leak happen.

He got Darvin Ham.

And now CP3 and D12 are talking and we're in the best position to sign them!!!

• Moderators

Another tidbit, our coaching staff now has 5 (possibly 6) NBA championship rings between the three of them:

Coach Bud: Spurs - '99, '03, '05, and '07 (possibly '13).

Darvin Ham: Pistons - '04

Quin Snyder: None

Don't let Darvin's player history be the judge on whether or not he'll be a good/great coach. I remember Darvin from his days as a Piston. Great hustle guy that played defense first.

• Premium Member

Honestly, I rarely forget anyone who once played for us, but I was surprised to read that the neurons responsible for holding on to Ham evidently bit the dust at some point.

But the bigger curiosity is... where is the connection to either our GM or to our new HC?... and if there is none, what other theory makes sense for pursuing him, ie, beyond the one that says DH appears to have some relationship to him?

Honestly, I rarely forget anyone who once played for us, but I was surprised to read that the neurons responsible for holding on to Ham evidently bit the dust at some point. But the bigger curiosity is... where is the connection to either our GM or to our new HC?... and if there is none, what other theory makes sense for pursuing him, ie, beyond the one that says DH appears to have some relationship to him?

He could just be a good young coach who gets through to players and puts in work as a coach like he did as a player.

Clearly you've never lived in Charlotte. That's one of the nicest cities in America to raise a family. It's expensive but it's really nice and growing quickly. If you're in your 20's maybe it's not the spot for you but as a family guy in your 30's-40's and up I'd take Charlotte every day of the week over living in a major city like Atlanta or Houston.

We hired him to make Dwight feel smart Posted Image

I have been to Charlotte many times. I used to go to Carowinds many times as a kid and teen being I stayed only 90 mins away in Spartanburg, SC. My very good friend lived their. I have another female friend who stills lives there. She owns a Gym. I was just there last year.

Nope, I still don't care for it. Not live enough for me. :-)

Oh and I'm 41 years old. :-)

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite