• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Speculation: DeMarcus Cousins?

• Premium Member

Do you trade Horf?

Don't laugh.

Looking at the numbers first... this, for the resident capologist(s)... does the additional cap room make it any more/less likely that CP3 and Dwight would each be able to get the fullest max we could give?

Looking at the on-court situation, certainly you'd think those two would be big enough locker room presences to provide the aforementioned guardrails.

But to those who are most acquainted with Cousins' game... I mostly saw him in college, and in the pros most of what I've seen is the occasional spectacular highlight--too often a spectacular highlight of an implosion followed by a T... would his game complement Howard's, or are they too similar to be on the court at the same time?

Do you trade Horf?

Don't laugh.

Looking at the numbers first... this, for the resident capologist(s)... does the additional cap room make it any more/less likely that CP3 and Dwight would each be able to get the fullest max we could give?

Looking at the on-court situation, certainly you'd think those two would be big enough locker room presences to provide the aforementioned guardrails.

But to those who are most acquainted with Cousins' game... I mostly saw him in college, and in the pros most of what I've seen is the occasional spectacular highlight--too often a spectacular highlight of an implosion followed by a T... would his game complement Howard's, or are they too similar to be on the court at the same time?

Well obviously if you are trading 12 million for 5 million you are creating alot more cap space but no, I do not believe that Cousins and Dwight could coexist because you'll have a similar problem as you had with Pau but at least Pau can work out the high post and somewhat respectably stretch the floor better for Dwight than Cousins could.

hell, none of the F/A out side of Dwight block at an exceptional rate.

And none of them are going to get 20 million starting except Dwight either. I agree, blocks are not the end all be all, but they usually indicate a few things. He has a defensive post presence, does not shy away from contact, and has very good timing.

Judging from the last game we played them, hell yeah I'd give him a go. He was trashing us effortlessly from multiple areas on the floor. He had something like 27 and 10 but we won of course. With the right tutelage, all the skills are there. He reminds me of a taller Barkley the way he's built, runs, shoots, and bangs.

• Moderators

Well obviously if you are trading 12 million for 5 million you are creating alot more cap space but no, I do not believe that Cousins and Dwight could coexist because you'll have a similar problem as you had with Pau but at least Pau can work out the high post and somewhat respectably stretch the floor better for Dwight than Cousins could.

I agree with this. They do too many of the same things and playing together would encourage some of Cousins' bad tendancies as far as mid-range jumpers to spread the floor. Ideally, you want two bigs who can compliment eachother and I'm not sure that would be the case for Cousins.

Cousins is already an incredible post player who shoots 64% out of that area with the least amount of assisted baskets out of nearly every bigman (at the rim and overall, only 49% of his shots are assisted as compared to the 51% and 55% overall that a solo artist like Al Jefferson's shots are assisted).

This is the one thing that gives me great hope about him, he clearly has had absolutely dreadful guard support (hello, Tyreke) or any passing/spacing from the rest of his teammates yet still converts on an insane rate. What mostly kills his production is Smooveitis, you can too often see him isolating and dribbling from 18 feet out to set up a pullup jumper...... It's incredible that a man his size has that kind of agility and ability but we can agree that no one want's to see their 6'11" C putting on his best Joe Johnson impression. Get him the better passing guards, some shooters and a stable ownership/coaching staff requisite of most competent franchises and hopefully you can tap into that great post ability while limiting him feeling the need to launch 20 footers.

And Smoove never got that.... but I'd imagine it would be far easier to correct a guy only 3 years in as opposed to one that is 9 years in.

He might shoot 64% around the rim, but here are his numbers via his top 3 shot types, according to SynergySports

Post-Up . . ( 24.9% of shots ) . . 0.81 ppp . . ranked 90th . . 41.8% FG . . 9 "and 1's" . . 15.9% turnover rate

Isolation . . ( 15% of shots ) . . . . 0.77 ppp . . ranked 114th . . 40.3% FG . . 5 "and 1's" . . 11.6% turnover rate

P&R Man . . ( 14.5% of shots ) . . 0.92 ppp . . ranked 100th . . 45.5% FG . . 11 "and 1's" . . 12.5% turnover rate

Spot Up . . . ( 11.2% of shots ) . . 0.71 ppp . . ranked 329th . . 36.2% FG . . 1 "and 1" . . . . 6.2% turnover rate

Honestly, when you compare him to Al Jefferson or even Al Horford, its no comparison offensively. He's not a better post up player. He's not better in the Pick and Roll. And he's not a better Spot-Up shooter.

He's a slightly better ISO player, and he gets more "and 1's" in the pick and roll. But he turns the ball over so much in Isolation, compared to Jefferson, that Jefferson actually scores a little more per play than Cousins does in ISO situations.

And Demarcus is a TURNOVER MACHINE that plays even less defense than Jefferson.

Saying that Demarcus has Smooveitis is a little kind. Demarcus is like Smith, Antoine Walker, and Rasheed Wallace combined, when it comes to attitude and belief in his ability.

He might shoot 64% around the rim, but here are his numbers via his top 3 shot types, according to SynergySports Post-Up . . ( 24.9% of shots ) . . 0.81 ppp . . ranked 90th . . 41.8% FG . . 9 "and 1's" . . 15.9% turnover rateIsolation . . ( 15% of shots ) . . . . 0.77 ppp . . ranked 114th . . 40.3% FG . . 5 "and 1's" . . 11.6% turnover rateP&R Man . . ( 14.5% of shots ) . . 0.92 ppp . . ranked 100th . . 45.5% FG . . 11 "and 1's" . . 12.5% turnover rateSpot Up . . . ( 11.2% of shots ) . . 0.71 ppp . . ranked 329th . . 36.2% FG . . 1 "and 1" . . . . 6.2% turnover rate Honestly, when you compare him to Al Jefferson or even Al Horford, its no comparison offensively. He's not a better post up player. He's not better in the Pick and Roll. And he's not a better Spot-Up shooter. He's a slightly better ISO player, and he gets more "and 1's" in the pick and roll. But he turns the ball over so much in Isolation, compared to Jefferson, that Jefferson actually scores a little more per play than Cousins does in ISO situations. And Demarcus is a TURNOVER MACHINE that plays even less defense than Jefferson. Saying that Demarcus has Smooveitis is a little kind. Demarcus is like Smith, Antoine Walker, and Rasheed Wallace combined, when it comes to attitude and belief in his ability.

Lets he fair and address the fact that the team around him is considerably worse and that he is lacking the experience Horford and Jefferson have.

Lets he fair and address the fact that the team around him is considerably worse and that he is lacking the experience Horford and Jefferson have.

Or let's be fair and say that Cousins has ALWAYS been a loose cannon type of player, even in college. I'll say the backcourt of Isaiah Thomas and Tyreke Evans is better than both Mo WIlliams and Gordon Heyward in Utah, and better than Jeff Teague and Devin Harris last year in Atlanta.

Offense wasn't the problem for Sacramento last year. It was defense.

Or let's be fair and say that Cousins has ALWAYS been a loose cannon type of player, even in college. I'll say the backcourt of Isaiah Thomas and Tyreke Evans is better than both Mo WIlliams and Gordon Heyward in Utah, and better than Jeff Teague and Devin Harris last year in Atlanta. Offense wasn't the problem for Sacramento last year. It was defense.

I'm not saying he wasn't, but he gets no perimeter shooting from his backcourt making it harder for him than it would be for Jefferson or Horford.

Or let's be fair and say that Cousins has ALWAYS been a loose cannon type of player, even in college. I'll say the backcourt of Isaiah Thomas and Tyreke Evans is better than both Mo WIlliams and Gordon Heyward in Utah, and better than Jeff Teague and Devin Harris last year in Atlanta.

Offense wasn't the problem for Sacramento last year. It was defense.

Let's compare assist rates of the top passers on each team.

Jeff Teague 36.1%

Jamal Tinsley 34.1%

Mo Williams 33.2%

Earl Watson 31.8%

Isiah Thomas 24.6%

Devin Harris 21.7%

Josh Smith 20.9%

Louis Williams 20.4%

Tyreke Evans 19%

Aaron Brooks 17.8%

Gordon Hayward 16.7%

Cousins had by far the worst set of passing support from his guards. If you mean that Isiah and Tyreke were better chuckers you would be correct but that doesn't help a bigman much outside of padding his rebound numbers.

I'm not saying he wasn't, but he gets no perimeter shooting from his backcourt making it harder for him than it would be for Jefferson or Horford.

Try again man.

Sacramento was 11th in the league in 3 point percentage, and 11th in total 3s made.

Atlanta was better . . 7th in 3 point percentage and 5th in makes.

Utah was slightly better in percentage ( 9th in makes ), but made 103 less 3s than Sacramento, ranking them 23rd in total 3s made.

That still doesn't excuse the fact that Demarcus is nowhere near as efficient a player as Jefferson and Horford, nor is he as controlled of an offensive player than those two. The problem with Demarcus, is that he thinks he's an All-Star, even a superstar type of player.

Honestly, a guy his size and ability should easily be one of the top 2 offensive centers in the league. But he's not even top 5. Horford and Jefferson are above him. So is Brook Lopez. So is Dwight Howard, even with his limited game. Bosh is above him. Pekovic is above him. Marc Gasol is above him.

He, like Smith, tries to do too much. And it hurts his team when he does it.

Try again man. Sacramento was 11th in the league in 3 point percentage, and 11th in total 3s made. Atlanta was better . . 7th in 3 point percentage and 5th in makes. Utah was slightly better in percentage ( 9th in makes ), but made 103 less 3s than Sacramento, ranking them 23rd in total 3s made

No thanks, you have proven my point. Have a nice day.

Let's compare assist rates of the top passers on each team.

Jeff Teague 36.1%

Jamal Tinsley 34.1%

Mo Williams 33.2%

Earl Watson 31.8%

Isiah Thomas 24.6%

Devin Harris 21.7%

Josh Smith 20.9%

Louis Williams 20.4%

Tyreke Evans 19%

Aaron Brooks 17.8%

Gordon Hayward 16.7%

Cousins had by far the worst set of passing support from his guards. If you mean that Isiah and Tyreke were better chuckers you would be correct but that doesn't help a bigman much outside of padding his rebound numbers.

Could their assist rates be affected by Cousin's inability to finish plays or make shots when they passed him the ball when open?

How many assists did Josh Smith blow, because of his inability to make midrange jumpers or finish in the post?

Demarcus turned the ball over a whopping 12.1% on Spot Up jumpers, either because he's trying to do some sort of pump fake and he travels or loses the ball, or he throws an errant pass into traffic.

Tyreke shot 48% FG last season. Thomas shot 44% FG last season. Both above league averages for the position.

Demarcus shot 47% at center, well below league average.

But we're going to blame the guards for not throwing "good passes" to Demarcus, instead of Demarcus simply trying to do to much when he does get the ball?

That's like blaming Lou Williams because Zaza couldn't finish a pass to him around the rim, or Josh couldn't make a wide open 17 foot jumper.

Demarcus and the way he plays, is the reason for his inefficiency, just like it is for Josh Smith.

No thanks, you have proven my point. Have a nice day.

LOL

Sacramento shot 36.3% from 3

Utah shot 36.6% from 3

Sacramento made 102 more threes than Utah from 3.

So which team had more outside shooting? Or is that .3% of Utah > than the 102 more threes Sacramento made?

LOL @ Cousins himself going 4 - 22 from 3. Why is he shooting 3s?

Could their assist rates be affected by Cousin's inability to finish plays or make shots when they passed him the ball when open?

How many assists did Josh Smith blow, because of his inability to make midrange jumpers or finish in the post?

Demarcus turned the ball over a whopping 12.1% on Spot Up jumpers, either because he's trying to do some sort of pump fake and he travels or loses the ball, or he throws an errant pass into traffic.

Tyreke shot 48% FG last season. Thomas shot 44% FG last season. Both above league averages for the position.

Demarcus shot 47% at center, well below league average.

But we're going to blame the guards for not throwing "good passes" to Demarcus, instead of Demarcus simply trying to do to much when he does get the ball?

That's like blaming Lou Williams because Zaza couldn't finish a pass to him around the rim, or Josh couldn't make a wide open 17 foot jumper.

Demarcus and the way he plays, is the reason for his inefficiency, just like it is for Josh Smith.

North, stop the spin. This is just nonsensical. You've established that the Kings were a middle pack shooting team compared to the Hawks and Jazz and I've established that their passers are piss poor (hint: they are supposedly passing to more than just Cousins and if they are a good shooting team then why is it they had only 1 player crack a pedestrian 20% assist rate?) Cousins was scoring on 64% on only 49% assisted baskets for a greater true shooting % than Jefferson who was assisted more so how is it he's getting blamed for his guards being ass? If he's doing that on less support how can anyone willfully argue that he did worse on baskets actually fed to him???