• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Speculation: DeMarcus Cousins?

DeMarcus Cousins is eligible for a maximum contract this summer and a trade demand looms if he and the Sacramento Kings are not able to reach a deal.

In the meantime, Cousins has been instructed by his agent, Dan Fegan, not to speak about anything regarding the Kings, their new ownership or their management.

"No comment," Cousins replied when asked about his thoughts on the Kings' new regime, which includes majority owner Vivek Ranadive, GM Pete D'Alessandro and coach Mike Malone.

Cousins will participate on the U.S. Select team this offseason.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228247/DeMarcus-Cousins-Instructed-By-Agent-Not-To-Discuss-Kings

Any chance you guys think we'll be able to land him in a trade? I know he's had plenty of behavioral issues in the past, but maybe a change of scenery could do good things for him... A front court consisting of Horford and Cousins in the post is a pretty good one I think. I'm no financial expert though so I'm not sure how that would work out...

Financially it's easy.....heck anything is easy financially these days but the question is what could we put together to get him? Only Horf, Louis, Jenks and picks are our only assets.

I like Cousins just look at my sig, but he has some things to work on. There is no doubt he gets max money this season and the Kings are crazy if they think otherwise.

I would send them two late picks or Lou and one pick for him. But that is only if Bud thinks he can be worked with. One thing Cousins brings to the table, a lot of centers don't, is he shoots FTs pretty well for a big man. But he could use a little time at Duncan s big man camp to work on becoming a better post player.

Trust there's no way the kings trade him. They may trade him in the future but they will at least try to make him a center piece. His name was mentioned in trade rumors earlier this summer after Cleveland got the #1 pick. If they aren't willing to move him in a deal that includes the #1 draft pick, then I doubt that anything we throw their way will work.

I like Cousins just look at my sig, but he has some things to work on. There is no doubt he gets max money this season and the Kings are crazy if they think otherwise.

I would send them two late picks or Lou and one pick for him. But that is only if Bud thinks he can be worked with. One thing Cousins brings to the table, a lot of centers don't, is he shoots FTs pretty well for a big man. But he could use a little time at Duncan s big man camp to work on becoming a better post player.

Cousins is already an incredible post player who shoots 64% out of that area with the least amount of assisted baskets out of nearly every bigman (at the rim and overall, only 49% of his shots are assisted as compared to the 51% and 55% overall that a solo artist like Al Jefferson's shots are assisted).

This is the one thing that gives me great hope about him, he clearly has had absolutely dreadful guard support (hello, Tyreke) or any passing/spacing from the rest of his teammates yet still converts on an insane rate. What mostly kills his production is Smooveitis, you can too often see him isolating and dribbling from 18 feet out to set up a pullup jumper...... It's incredible that a man his size has that kind of agility and ability but we can agree that no one want's to see their 6'11" C putting on his best Joe Johnson impression. Get him the better passing guards, some shooters and a stable ownership/coaching staff requisite of most competent franchises and hopefully you can tap into that great post ability while limiting him feeling the need to launch 20 footers.

this sounds familiar....

And Smoove never got that.... but I'd imagine it would be far easier to correct a guy only 3 years in as opposed to one that is 9 years in.

Cousins is already an incredible post player who shoots 64% out of that area with the least amount of assisted baskets out of nearly every bigman (at the rim and overall, only 49% of his shots are assisted as compared to the 51% and 55% overall that a solo artist like Al Jefferson's shots are assisted).

This is the one thing that gives me great hope about him, he clearly has had absolutely dreadful guard support (hello, Tyreke) or any passing/spacing from the rest of his teammates yet still converts on an insane rate. What mostly kills his production is Smooveitis, you can too often see him isolating and dribbling from 18 feet out to set up a pullup jumper...... It's incredible that a man his size has that kind of agility and ability but we can agree that no one want's to see their 6'11" C putting on his best Joe Johnson impression. Get him the better passing guards, some shooters and a stable ownership/coaching staff requisite of most competent franchises and hopefully you can tap into that great post ability while limiting him feeling the need to launch 20 footers.

And Smoove never got that.... but I'd imagine it would be far easier to correct a guy only 3 years in as opposed to one that is 9 years in.

I was mainly talking about his defensive post play. He averages almost four fouls per game in only 30 minutes yet only gets .9 blocks per game. If he starts getting 35 or more mpg he has to work on playing better D without getting into foul trouble.

This is the perfect move outside Howard! Trade for cousins and pair him with horford! That's a younger combination than Howard and horford....cousins just need some work and I think coach bud can help out with that no prob

Trust there's no way the kings trade him. They may trade him in the future but they will at least try to make him a center piece. His name was mentioned in trade rumors earlier this summer after Cleveland got the #1 pick. If they aren't willing to move him in a deal that includes the #1 draft pick, then I doubt that anything we throw their way will work.

This is true but you have to remember that the Kings were in the midst of a sale and even now still barely have a front office in place so we can't definitively say what they'd require to move him. I truthfully believe that Cousins would honestly threaten just taking his QO when he hits restricted free agency if the Kings threaten to match any contracts he signs so that would have a great impact on their willingness to move him. I agree that we don't have very enticing assets but at the same time we can also offer to eat a bad contract or two and depending on how free agency goes and if the team is going into a proper rebuild, Horf just might be put on the table.

I was mainly talking about his defensive post play. He averages almost four fouls per game in only 30 minutes yet only gets .9 blocks per game. If he starts getting 35 or more mpg he has to work on playing better D without getting into foul trouble.

Fair enough but to me defense comes down to scheme and effort of which I think everyone can agree that the Kings had neither. Yes, it is a great detraction that DMC was part of the problem but the Kings were one of my least favorite teams to watch on League Pass because despite all the talent their games were still the equivalent of glorified pick up games. Also, he's actually improved in reducing his fouling and you have to consider that not all of them are from the defensive side. You can imagine that a 6'11" 270 pounder isolating and driving from the wing would pick up a fair amount of charges.

'

Fair enough but to me defense comes down to scheme and effort of which I think everyone can agree that the Kings had neither. Yes, it is a great detraction that DMC was part of the problem but the Kings were one of my least favorite teams to watch on League Pass because despite all the talent their games were still the equivalent of glorified pick up games. Also, he's actually improved in reducing his fouling and you have to consider that not all of them are from the defensive side. You can imagine that a 6'11" 270 pounder isolating and driving from the wing would pick up a fair amount of charges.

'

I don't think I watched one Kings game last season; I just know he gets into foul trouble and his blocks are not what I would expect from someone being called the next best NBA big man. I like him and usually foul trouble is easily fixed with maturity.

I don't think I watched one Kings game last season; I just know he gets into foul trouble and his blocks are not what I would expect from someone being called the next best NBA big man. I like him and usually foul trouble is easily fixed with maturity.

There's a lot of different categories to include when you are talking big men. Honestly I would put rebounding above anything else. If you don't go get the ball, then we don't have the ball. Period point blank. Blocks are great and all but not the deal breaker for me.

hell, none of the F/A out side of Dwight block at an exceptional rate.

There's a lot of different categories to include when you are talking big men. Honestly I would put rebounding above anything else. If you don't go get the ball, then we don't have the ball. Period point blank. Blocks are great and all but not the deal breaker for me.

hell, none of the F/A out side of Dwight block at an exceptional rate.

Precisely, it's like comparing and rating Deandre Jordan versus Cousins. Just like finding a 5 tool player in baseball a complete bigman is a rarerity in the NBA. Duncan is the true pinnacle of a bigman that can block shots, defend the pick and roll, is fluid in the low and high post while sporting a midrange game but that Shaq fella wasn't so bad himself despite a far more limited repertoire.

Edited by MaceCase

• Moderators

Cousin's biggest weakness is decision making right now - both on and off the court. He takes bad shots - particularly jumpers - and ends up with needless headaches when he butts heads with others in the organization. Both these issues speak to different kinds of immaturity.

On the plus side, he is strong enough to bang and hold his ground and he has amazing hands and quick feet. He is a talented passer with pretty good court vision. He is the kind of player that can boom (puts it together and is a dominant big man) or bust (puts up significant numbers for losing team after losing team) but I would embrace a move to get him if Coach Bud wants him.

Now what assets we can offer is the biggest question.

• Premium Member

I think getting Cousins would actually be a better fit for this long-term view that Ferry supposedly espouses, even as it is clear that he's gunning for two players who have already arrived at their ceiling in terms of development.

But as someone alluded to, you pretty much have to have someone like Cousins surrounded by bigger personalities/talent who give him some guardrails... that stuff doesn't come as well from a coach unless it's one of the elites. Rodman... arguably the biggest headcase to ever get championship rings... had both going for him, first with a combination of Daly, Isiah, Dumars, Laimbeer and Mahorn, and later with Jackson, Jordan and Pippen. And we don't currently have even one coach or player on the roster who is able to command that.

Find that guy, and Cousins would be a critical piece to the construction of a long-term championship roster.