• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pero Antic will sign a 1+1 deal with the Hawks

DawsonsCreek

Would some of this have to do with personal feelings? He did leave your favorite team for greener pastures.

This from Wikepedia:

"He was voted the MVP of the 2007-08 season in the Bulgarian National Basketball League, a season in which he averaged 23.3 points and 9.3 rebounds per game."

Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pero_Anti%C4%87

Bulgarian National League is a joke.You and me can play there without any preparation.

For bench fodder, even you should be able to admit he has a good resume.

Another tid bit from Wikepedia:

"Antić is a member and captain of the senior men's RoM national team. He was instrumental in his team reaching the semi-finals ofEuroBasket 2011 in Lithuania. Antić proved his reputation as one of the tournament's best rebounders, having an average of 8.8 rebounds per game, third best in the category. He also averaged 11.5 points per game, with his tournament high coming in the semi-finals against Spain, where he scored 17 points in a 92-80 defeat. He was among the overall leaders in several other categories. Besides being fourth in average minutes per game (34.5), he also ranked fourth in double-doubles, collecting three, against Finland (14 points and 19 rebounds), Bosnia and Herzegovina (15 points and 14 rebounds) and Russia (15 points and 10 rebounds). While hardly the revelation of the tournament, he fulfilled his full potential at the EuroBasket, and was the cornerstone of the RoM national team's defensive strategy, that propelled them to the top four."

Link:

Zaza has a history of looking like a superstar in NT play. Carlos Arrlyo was one of the best NT players I've ever seen and he was a bench fodder at best in the NBA. He doesn't look at impressive in highlights. Most of the Euro fans think he is an average player in the Euro league and there is a great chance he might not even translate to the NBA. This is Esteban Batista all over again.

• Moderators

I was a fairly big Pero fan like 6 years ago. If he can be an upgrade to Petro, then fine. At least with the tats (probably not the blocks) he'll give Chris Andersen a run for his money.

I suppose Acie Law IV put in a good word for him?

~lw3

• Premium Member

I had to laugh when I read on several Euro sites that this guy has already said over the course of his career he is a PF not a C and only plays C when forced to play there.

So we get a backup to Al that also does not want to play center and would rather play PF.

At least we know in advance this guy is nothing more than bench fodder.

We could have resigned Johan Petro and I would have understood this more than this Euro. Ferry always is trying to be cutting edge with stupidity. We will see the great tandem of Millsap/Horford and Korver/Carroll and Jeff at PG. This is be like those Big Dog, SAR, JT, and those teams. A lot of bad fits and a weak bench.

Bulgarian National League is a joke.You and me can play there without any preparation.

Could we play here and do this?

"Antić is a member and captain of the senior men's RoM national team. He was instrumental in his team reaching the semi-finals ofEuroBasket 2011 in Lithuania. Antić proved his reputation as one of the tournament's best rebounders, having an average of 8.8 rebounds per game, third best in the category. He also averaged 11.5 points per game, with his tournament high coming in the semi-finals against Spain, where he scored 17 points in a 92-80 defeat. He was among the overall leaders in several other categories. Besides being fourth in average minutes per game (34.5), he also ranked fourth in double-doubles, collecting three, against Finland (14 points and 19 rebounds), Bosnia and Herzegovina (15 points and 14 rebounds) and Russia (15 points and 10 rebounds). While hardly the revelation of the tournament, he fulfilled his full potential at the EuroBasket, and was the cornerstone of the RoM national team's defensive strategy, that propelled them to the top four."

I read that he can board very well. So he starts with AL, right? And Brand backs up Pero (and Paul backs up AL)?

Guess this means no Oden.

We've got to manufacture a wing form somewhere. Stevenson is the fall back plan i guess :/

He's not a rebounding machine, but he can hold his own... I don't see him as a starter, but rather a decent back-up who can allow Bud to extend his rotations and have a couple of extra fouls off the bench.

I hope that he'll be able to contribute, because he's got experience from Euroleague and International basketball... I'd say that his stat line would look like this: 15 - 20 mpg, 7-8 ppg, 5-6 rpg.

He's not a rebounding machine, but he can hold his own... I don't see him as a starter, but rather a decent back-up who can allow Bud to extend his rotations and have a couple of extra fouls off the bench.

I hope that he'll be able to contribute, because he's got experience from Euroleague and International basketball... I'd say that his stat line would look like this: 15 - 20 mpg, 7-8 ppg, 5-6 rpg.

He is likely Ivan's replacement. Most Euros are saying he isn't a center at all.

• Moderators

I'm getting anxious for a wing myself. I'd describe myself as wildly optimistic about this season but I'm also starting to feel a little deja vu like when we were trying to be Detroit south. Hopefully we will establish our own identity.

I'll take it. If hes Zaza 2.0 with range and minus the acne on his shoulders, why not?

Edited by DawsonsCreek

T21, just wanted to give you props for your valuable insights. much appreciated. (unless you're making it all up lol)

I'll take it. If hes Zaza 2.0 with range and minus the acne on his shoulders, why not?

He is far from Zaza. Zaza is a decent NBA center who is tough, rebounds well, has a respectful post game who just happens to be undersized, unathletic and not greatly skilled. Zaza would be a beast in Europe while he is a role player in the NBA. This guy is a role player in Europe and will likely be a bum in the NBA. Most Euros see him as a PF.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

He is far from Zaza. Zaza is a decent NBA center who is tough, rebounds well, has a respectful post game who just happens to be undersized, unathletic and not greatly skilled. Zaza would be a beast in Europe while he is a role player in the NBA. This guy is a role player in Europe and will likely be a bum in the NBA. Most Euros see him as a PF.

Man I hope we never sit next to each other at a game. Sheesh!

He is likely Ivan's replacement. Most Euros are saying he isn't a center at all.

We'll, he's got height and strength surely. I think Bud will use him as a back-up center for up to 15mpg.

The fact that he can knock down mid to long range shots, obviously tells us that our offense will run through Al in the post, or PnR with Al who's our number 1 option right now. Basically, the support staff has been cast to fit that bill... We'll see how it will work...

• Premium Member

True. That's evident from the clip. Which is why it was suggested earlier that the main reaction to this ought to be that Ivan needs a job... and too, likely, that the decision has been made to ask Muscala to play in Europe.

Contrary to the earlier comment, he's not a Petro replacement, let alone a Zaza replacement... and this will have no bearing on whether we continue to have interest in Oden.

Edited by sturt

I'm getting anxious for a wing myself. I'd describe myself as wildly optimistic about this season but I'm also starting to feel a little deja vu like when we were trying to be Detroit south. Hopefully we will establish our own identity.

So long as we have Teague and Schröder; we will never be Detroit South. The guard play in Motown is horrendous.

Edited by Buzzard