• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

When was the closest you've felt we have been to a title?

HawkItus

I don't think we have been. I guess the Nique team the year he got traded or the Game 7 in Boston. But, those teams never game me that "you know what, title of bust" feeling. We've always seemingly been $.15 short of a dollar. Am I wrong? If that is the case what moves from what era do you think cost us that "Champioship" caliber team?

Personally I think the "We love our core" attitude cost us in post Al Horford draft era. Had we been willing to move Marvin or Josh with a 1st rd. pick I think we could have gotten that 3rd player to really take us over. What we needed was a second option that could handle the ball and defend wings/PGs. Of course our drafting played a big part in that, but most of the mistakes were rectifiable if we just hadn't of held our cards for so long.

• Premium Member

I agree. Also, the year we beat the Magic to get to the second round (with Jamal Crawford). I honestly thought we had a chance.

Wasn't that the same year we beat Chicago in game 1?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yup, same year. That was a fun run at the very least. The series against Chicago was Teague's coming out party.

• Premium Member

Yep. That was the same year that Teague broke out too. Obviously we were closest with our only real piece of NBA notoriety in ATL. I have to say though, that Chicago series had be glowing with all kinds of hope. I might have enjoyed that more than the '88 series. For the moment, that hope was a really beautiful thing to have... I thought we were going to beat Chicago. I knew it...

Our first year in the playoffs (2008) was special too... Seems like the whole NBA was pulling for us and I just KNEW we were on our way regardless of what happened game 7. Really crappy how we let the energy from that series fizzle out and squandered our opportunity by refusing to make any changes.

1988-89People forget Kevin Willis missed that season with a knee injury. Had he been healthy that team wins it all. Forcing Levingston and Carr in as starters was not the same. They would have made for a deep bench though.RiversTheusWilkinsWillisMoses at 33 still had game.BenchWebbBattleLevingstonCarrKoncack

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't feel that any of our teams during the BK/Sund era were close to winning a title. I do think we had a good shot to make the ECF in 11/12 if Horford and Zaza remained healthy. If we have those two guys at full strength we probably beat Boston and then face 8th seed Philly in the second round. We should have been able to take them and would have faced the Heat in the ECF. This was the before the Heat had won a title too, so they had a lot of pressure on them.Not saying we would have won anything, I just feel like that could have been our best playoff showing if we were healthy.

Edited by cam1218

The Nique team that was up 3-2 against Boston then lost the last two games including the epic Nique/Bird showdown. That team is the only Hawks team I truly felt could and should have won a title.

That is as close as we have been in Atlanta.Larry Bird and crew were too much to over come. Edited by coachx

Either 87-88 or the 93-94 flame out.

I agree! It's hard to tell...

Back in 1988 Detroit was also established contender, but I guess that we had a slight edge... then, there were Lakers.

In 1994 we were screwed by Lenny and Stan, period! I believe that we would have gone to the Finals if Nique was still around, and then who knows...

• Like 1

I thought the team that got lucky enough to face the 8th seed Knicks in the 2nd round with Smitty Mookie and Deke. I was like man the east is so weak we'll finally make the nba finals. Hahaha then we got swept in embarrising fashion vs that 8th seed and blew up the team. Before that 94 and 88 of corse come to mind.