• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My take on the Hawks

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Warning to all: this is a negative post.Things don't change with the ASG. This is an ownership group much like the Braves. They are not going to spend the money to be big winners. They brought in Ferry to get rid of salary and try to bring in the cheapest salary players in to be competitive enough to make the playoffs. We have ONE player on this team in Horford that is legit 3-4 tier player out of a 5 rating for star players.The Hawks had the salary cap this summer and if they had thrown the money out there, they would have gotten a top tier player. Yea they met with Howard but they were never serious in those talks. Ferry I believe has been told to try and keep this team competitive enough to make the playoffs yet keep the salaries down. This group is ok with a middle of the pack team , and that is the way it will be the next five years.So get used to the same old crap from the past. It pains me to say so, but I believe the Hawks are now the the worst franchise in the NBA

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 2

Lol I guess you read my post. This is exactly what I am starting to think. Besides the draft every move that he has made involved getting a veteran on a short term contract.

a few exceptions. Both we had to give him these contracts after milwuakee gave them offers which was probably part of LD's master plan to screw us after drafting (giannis ) Posted Image

1.Korver was signed to a four year deal. Im guessing cause he is a fan favorite and felt like he had to be retained and we had to outbid milwaukee in number of years. If milwuakee didnt offer him that much money. I promise you we wouldnt have given him that many years.

2. We resigned teague to four years. Im sure we had intentions to signing him but probably to the cheapest contract possible which is why we didnt negotiate a contract and made him fetch his own contract. Which was probably the reason why teague was upset this off season. Also we were in talks of replacing him with guys like mo williams and monta ellis after milwuakee gave teague that offer. We were most likely were going to replace teague with one of them if we signed them to bargain contracts. (Most likely monta ellis since Ferry seems to love him so much).

I know alot of us have no idea what Ferry is doing cause they dont wanna believe this is the direction he is going. But its clear by the pattern of his move that every moves involves winning now and for a bargain price.

Ferry has until the trade deadline to change my way of thinking but until then I am sticking to this.

Edited by yungsta

• Premium Member

Agreed.There is nothing more we want except to see a good team in place and see this team win. We've been around long enough to see when the wool is being pulled over our eyes. It's just really sad. Ferry will have to be an extreme magician to make this work within the framework he has been given. There is a reason why free agents don't want to come here.

So who is this "top tier" player that was available for the Hawks to get that would of turned the franchise around? And please Dwight wasn't even going to come here even when CP3 begged him to team up together. Also I love that people still believe the myth that the Braves have bad ownership that doesn't spend money. They have one of the higher salaries in baseball not to mention all the money that goes into our great scouting department. The Braves are stuck in a bad tv deal though which ends soon and when we sign one of those billion dollar deals the other teams have got we'll have even more money to spend...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So who is this "top tier" player that was available for the Hawks to get that would of turned the franchise around? And please Dwight wasn't even going to come here even when CP3 begged him to team up together. Also I love that people still believe the myth that the Braves have bad ownership that doesn't spend money. They have one of the higher salaries in baseball not to mention all the money that goes into our great scouting department. The Braves are stuck in a bad tv deal though which ends soon and when we sign one of those billion dollar deals the other teams have got we'll have even more money to spend...

Braves payroll 80 million and the Dodgers 220 mil. You figure it out.If the Hawks had been fully committed and would wrote the checks Paul and Dwight would have been in Atlanta. The Hawks have the worst owners in the entire league and that is the truth.

• Premium Member

I agree the A$G are horrible but they gave a real shot to land Dwight and CP3. We were the only team Paul was considering leaving LA for and Dwight did come here and listen to the pitch.

As for the direction of the franchise I've made it pretty well known you don't win rings in the NBA without superstars and we don't have any. Personally I am hoping we dump Korver and Teague and Millsap at the trading deadline for first rounders but we'll see. As someone else said I'm just taking this season as it is: if we win, nice and if we don't then that's fine this draft is the best in a decade or more.

Braves payroll 80 million and the Dodgers 220 mil. You figure it out.If the Hawks had been fully committed and would wrote the checks Paul and Dwight would have been in Atlanta. The Hawks have the worst owners in the entire league and that is the truth.

I disagree. The "living legend" Doc Rivers pretty much foiled our plans before FA started.

Sorry, man, but you're on another planet if you believe that.

• Like 4

Sorry, man, but you're on another planet if you believe that.

Especially considering that this is basketball, not baseball. The Hawks were not in this fictional position where they could offer Dwight and/or Paul some amount of money that no other team could, in fact both were likely to take pay cuts just to fit under this newfangled invention called the salary cap.

• Premium Member

I don't think we went after CP3 and Howard without sincerity. I think what happened is that once we lost CP3, the writing was on the wall. However, I do fault Ferry for being overly cautious with the money. There were other Centers out there that would have helped us. My hope is that Ferry IS NOT trying to prove a proof that Euroteams can win in the NBA. And that Analytics can build a better team on the cheap than old fashion "Common Damn Sense". However, i have to acknowledge that it feels like he is.

• Like 1

The Howard-Paul thing was a pipedream from the start. A cynic might say it was misinformation used to support the idea of getting rid of Joe and Josh to cut costs. While I supported both moves, addition by subtraction only can go so far before you get to zero. Adding Milsap was a good lateral move, but not a huge upgrade. We won't be getting annoyed with Josh's bricks this year, so that's a plus. And we won't be stuck with him for four-five years and a huge salary like we would have with Josh. But then, next year he will be an expiring contract. I like our draft picks, but I wish both were here. I'm happy Korver is back. Most frustrating is not going after a real center for the umpteenth time. Not sold on some of the of the acquisitions, but we will see. One thing that is a little bothersome is this is now the second year in a row where we pretty much have a team loaded with new faces. Last year we were the Atlanta Nets. This year its the Atlanta Jazz. If the Jazz and Nets were so good, why were we getting their players? For whatever reason, I'm least excited about this season as I've been in a while.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I think this year will be struggle for this team. What I fear most is the possibility of finishing in the middle. Finishing in the middle AGAIN accomplishes absolutely nothing. I've applauded many of Ferry's decisions, but some I don't agree with and if he's trying to have this team finish in the middle, I think it's a foolish decision.

• Like 1

I think this year will be struggle for this team. What I fear most is the possibility of finishing in the middle. Finishing in the middle AGAIN accomplishes absolutely nothing. I've applauded many of Ferry's decisions, but some I don't agree with and if he's trying to have this team finish in the middle, I think it's a foolish decision.

We better not finish in the middle smh.

And since we don't have a chance to do anything in the playoffs I hope this team is absolutely horrible becuz the draft is deep. We need to snag a franchise changing player there

Edited by Bonkers
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

diesel, i think the hawks were smart to not overspend last free agency. if you are going to pay max dollars, you need a max player.

Who said anything about overspending?? I think it's pointless to look at the FA class, look at your money and say... I'd rather keep the money and be terrible than to go out and get a FA that can actually help.

IN this CBA, development is a pipedream. Holding on to good Players through FAcy is a pipedream. IF you suck, you will quickly be without good players and your team will be a rotating door. I'm not saying that we should spend on just any old body... but somewhere along the way, the capspace has to become powerful and produce good players.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

We better not finish in the middle smh. And since we don't have a chance to do anything in the playoffs I hope this team is absolutely horrible becuz the draft is deep. We need to snag a franchise changing player there

Agreed. After trying to move up in this past draft to no avail, you would think Ferry realizes that consistently drafting in the middle of the first round has a very low probability of netting a difference maker. They'll be trying yet again in vain to move up in the draft if they finish in the middle this year too. We need star players.

Oh jeez, you people can't be serious after the great summer debates to think that this is a team built to lose. Were people away on vacation or are treadmill enthusiasts just coming around to a bleak conclusion? Or maybe treadmill enthusiasts are on vacation now and all that is left are the tanking enthusiasts?

If this team fails "miserably" as what's being thrown around then it would in fact be an even greater failure than if Ferry had set out to rebuild over the summer. Trying to be good yet being bad is far worse than trying to be bad and being bad. Yea they both lose but one actually sought failure as its measure of success.

• Like 1

I'm not going to get into a pissing match on this and I will drop it. The truth always rears its ugly head, just remember that.

The Hawks have enough problems without you inventing new ones to be extra negative. It was never an issue over money.