• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A couple points about the Knicks game

Bonkers

ccome on people like i said im usually the first one to knock this franchise, we had a bad shooting night behind the arch.we were right there just did not make the shots downnthe stretch we were averaging 105.a little bit off.i wish we had somebody a little bit more atheletic then Antić coming off the bench to replace horford.we did beat a bobcats & orlando team that want be pushovers for anybody anymore.i say give some more of shredders minutes to shelvin mack.at least he would give us 3 more jumpers that might go in.

The Hawks need Hayward. Man that would be great. I would be right back here every day.

Gordon's biggest career weakness has been rebounding. This season he is averaging a full three more rebounds a game. If he keeps this up, he will get paid along with Evan.

but if its only for one year and we get to see how he fits in then is it such a bad contract? because he would be off the books next season and we could then look elsewhere for a sf and not re sign him

You are still not saying who we are giving up in a trade to make the 18 mil dollar salary work. It means multiple players at different positions which in turn makes us thinner at other positions.Chances are Rudy will opt into his 19mil for next season. So in your scenario we trade for him, he opts out, leaves, we've given away some combo of players at other positions and next season we are back in the same position looking for a SF. Uuuuh...NO.I will say it loud "WE NEED A SF , but Rudy is not that SF.

is there any other Small Forward in the NBA not named Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony (because those two are definitely not ever signing in Atlanta) that the Hawks could get?

Danny Granger? He's had health issues so it would be a risk. Don't know that the Hawks have anything they could trade for him though. He should be on the market at seasons end if that helps? Pacers won't be able to re-sign him and Stephenson both, they'll go with Stephenson. Loul Deng might be available in trade as well and if not, could be on the market by seasons end. The Bulls didn't give an extension.

Danny Granger? He's had health issues so it would be a risk. Don't know that the Hawks have anything they could trade for him though. He should be on the market at seasons end if that helps? Pacers won't be able to re-sign him and Stephenson both, they'll go with Stephenson. Loul Deng might be available in trade as well and if not, could be on the market by seasons end. The Bulls didn't give an extension.

Also read that Thadeus Young might be available. Kenneth Farried being on the market was shot down by the Nuggets this morning but who knows. Iman Shumpert's name has come up in trades. He's capable of playing small forward. And Bulls fans have been rather disgusted by Jimmy Butler's play this season. I know Bulls fans wish they had Korver.

Does anyone besides me not think Mike Scott should be given Carroll's starting spot? He came in last night and played some solid minutes and definitely has the ability to score at a much higher clip. He is a defensive liability but let's face it DMC can not make open shots and Mike is a scorer...Just not sure where this would hurt?

Lets not place all the blame on Carroll here, both Millsap and Korver struggled and their offensive production is something we count on a lot.Carroll may suck on offense but he was one of very few Hawks closing out hard on the Knicks shooters and really hustling to the ball for rebounds during the 3rd when we swung the game. He is not here to score, thats only a bonus. He plays the right way though. We should be more upset that Millsap pulled a disappearing act and didnt play more aggressively. If he scores his average or just under we win this game.Bottom line, off night from behind the arc for us, and uncharacteristicly great night for the Knicks from 3. All things considered we lost by 4 points to a desperate team which is more talented than us and has a coveted star player who got away with pushing off all but one time all game.We are going to be fine. Especially once Lou returns and our bench scoring gets a boost and we have a go to scorer late in games to find his own shot when things slow down.

It seems like teams are hitting 3's every game against the Hawks.... Maybe the excuses need to stop and we just need to admit that this is a horrible perimeter defensive team and other teams feel comfortable launching 3's. I'm not bashing you... It's just that other teams really feel comfortable shooting against Teague, Korver and Carroll.

I can't quite figure out why Teague isn't a better defender. It's seems like his skill set...quickness, athletic ability, basketball IQ would allow him to be a premier defender, but he's not. Maybe it's just simple like attitude and desire...I dunno. Korver always has, and always will struggle on defending SF's, but it's not from lack of trying or giving effort. I think Carroll is a btter defender than what this thread is giving him. He must be doing something right in the coaches' eyes to be getting the minutes he's getting, and it's not on offense.

Edited by buckeye242424

It seems like teams are hitting 3's every game against the Hawks.... Maybe the excuses need to stop and we just need to admit that this is a horrible perimeter defensive team and other teams feel comfortable launching 3's. I'm not bashing you... It's just that other teams really feel comfortable shooting against Teague, Korver and Carroll.

I see what your saying but RedDawg is right on point with his comments.Now I will agree that there does seem to be a high shooting percentage on the hawks so far but I'm not ready to say we are that bad just yet! Yes we definitely need to improve but these teams are also shooting lights out you gotta admit!I watched the Knicks a couple of times so far this year and they have had the same looks but were not knocking them down like they did yesterday. Now I will admit that I may just be a blind hawks fan but hell man you got admit that some of these teams are getting blessed. Even Korver doesn't hit his every "good look" shot and he's one if the best shooters in the nba.....just saying some teams are having the good luck charm on their side against the hawks. Not worried it will stop the Knicks in particular have had good looks all year and they hit them against us.By the way defense wasn't that bad yesterday I mean melo should have been fouled out in the first half! Did you see how many times he pushed off on milsap with his elbow and the refs only called it once! If we had the respect and a bigger name on the team we win easily....Knicks didn't play smart basketball yesterday.
  • Like 1

The 3 ball is a bit of a conundrum to me. I see hands in faces and guys still knock them down. Opponents were left open a lot as well but even then its like hey they still have to hit it which the Knicks were. Ive always felt that if a guy is forced to shoot the 3 then Id take that over giving up easy points inside 10 out of 10 times simply due to percentages alone. Regardless, thatvwas our undoing last night just as it was against the Lakers. But we never gave up and eventually the threes stopped falling and we grabbed the lead. What happened after that is the real concern. We got sloppy with the ball and our sets werent working on O. We needed somebody to manufacture points and we couldnt. Thats something Teague is getting better at but not quite there yet, but Lou is great at it once he returns.

• Like 1

The 3 ball is a bit of a conundrum to me. I see hands in faces and guys still knock them down. Opponents were left open a lot as well but even then its like hey they still have to hit it which the Knicks were.Ive always felt that if a guy is forced to shoot the 3 then Id take that over giving up easy points inside 10 out of 10 times simply due to percentages alone. Regardless, thatvwas our undoing last night just as it was against the Lakers. But we never gave up and eventually the threes stopped falling and we grabbed the lead. What happened after that is the real concern. We got sloppy with the ball and our sets werent working on O. We needed somebody to manufacture points and we couldnt. Thats something Teague is getting better at but not quite there yet, but Lou is great at it once he returns.

My point is that shooters look at guys like Korver and they feel comfortable shooting against them.

We always talk about how shot blockers effect the thinking of scorers even when they aren't blocking shots. Can't it work the other way also? I think other teams are coached to look at the Hawks as a weak defensive team with no inside shot blockers or perimeter defenders and so they're in a comfort zone when they play the Hawks.

• Moderators

I didn't think i'd say this but give Woody some credit. He exploited our biggest weakness which is perimeter D. We didn't do a great job exploiting their's which is lack of defensive bigs. Still a close game could have gone either way. I'm not reading too much into it other than the days of getting embarrased on national tv may be over for the Hawks. We got beat by their other players not by Melo.

The three ball is used now more than ever. I think a lot of perimeter defenders back off or don't close as hard because fouling a three point shooter is punishable by up to a year in jail. I think a lot of times you just play the favorable percentages on volume shooters (ie poor shooters) like Melo and JR. I'd estimate it's about a 18% chance both go crazy from long range and beyond. They were lucky last night, but it's nothing new with this group. We got threes rained on our head last year. I'm much more concerned about stopping drives and defending the rim. Looking at how we dominated paint points, last night was even more of an abberation. We'll get them this weekend with smarter lineups from Bood. Barngani isn't gonna look like Kevin Love again anytime soon. The big question is how is a rookie getting 18 minutes out of Woody?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

I didn't think i'd say this but give Woody some credit. He exploited our biggest weakness which is perimeter D. We didn't do a great job exploiting their's which is lack of defensive bigs. Still a close game could have gone either way. I'm not reading too much into it other than the days of getting embarrased on national tv may be over for the Hawks. We got beat by their other players not by Melo.

Woody did not change a thing. The Knicks average 25.6 threes a game. That is now 3rd in the league for most taken. We are one of the worse at allowing opponents to hit threes. They average 39.6%. That has to change for us to become a top tier team. Our opponenets FG% is almost 46% ( 20th ) but if we improved our perimeter D, that number would improve as well.

We are not the only team suffering from this barrage of threes. Miami and Memphis is not much better than us at 37 and 38.2. Its early and we will see if this is just a short trend or a bigger problem.