• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why can't Kyle Korver elevate his level of play?

TheNorthCydeRises

Redick still has Blake and Jamal out there who if not checked will get you 20 without breaking a sweat all while putting you on the wrong end of an entire highlight reel. Surely no team or player is going to place Redick higher on the gameplan than those two.All Atlanta has is Millsap and the ghost of Jeffrey whom even at their peaks aren't really likely to drop 30 on you at the drop of the hat. Kyle is already a limited player with an even weaker cast of weapons ahead of him and now has a bullseye painted on his back because of the streak. In addition, the Atlanta offense has been 3 dominant all year so how is it a surprise that teams are keying on the best 3point shooter on the team?

So what are our options? If he's incapable of elevating his level of play, what are our options?

I want him to be more aggressive in trying to get himself open and to score the basketball.

I want you to keep an eye on him for the entire game tonight and let me know when he isn't aggressively trying to get open.That's all he does - work to get open. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Korver probably moves more than any other NBA player in the game right now. Thats how he is usually open all of the time and especially later in the game because the defender guarding him is worn out. I think i even remember seeing a GM poll that mentioned Korver as wellSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need to play closer attention to how team are guarding Korver - even last night Bob pointed out how Pop must have told whoever was guarding Korver "don't worry about what else is happening on the court stick with him.

Korver's shot attempts has dropped: Like he has said, like I have said, like everybody knows he is DEPENDANT on others getting him the ball once he can get open.

You point to Chris Paul going down, but Collison has stepped in and played decent, plus they still have the rest of their ancilliary pieces. If Teague was playing as decent as Collison I could see your argument, he is not. Kyle's shot attempt has gone down in January and I'll say it again - someone has to get him those shots, he is having a more difficult time getting open because of 1) No Al and 2)teams are trying to stop the streak. .

You want him to do more? Be specific - list what you want him to be better at besides shooting the ball. Like bringing the ballup up the court, dribble penetrate and kick what? How about he increase his rebounding and assists? Check those stats.

another thing (I think it was nique that pointed this out) about teams are now switching on the screens so it makes its insanely more difficult for him to get open. Teams are throwing everything to stop korver from getting open.

I want you to keep an eye on him for the entire game tonight and let me know when he isn't aggressively trying to get open.That's all he does - work to get open.

I'll be watching. And I definitely want him to have a good game tonight. It's the only way this team can stay competitive and win games. Because if he's not getting open, and he can't get his shots up, he's simply a clone of Marvin Williams, without the ability to rebound and defend multiple positions.

• Premium Member

That gives an opportunity for advantage elsewhere. Mill sap or DMC cutting to the basket .. Team needs to adjust to how teams are defending them with the personnel banged up. I still think we will be alright. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what are our options? If he's incapable of elevating his level of play, what are our options?

Uhm, either get healthy or find better players?He's gone from a godly shooter to an above average one while increasing rebounds and assists. You seem to be sidestepping my question to you of what would be a reasonable expectation of him "stepping up" considering the roster around him. 75% shooting with 8 rebounds and 6 assists? Redick despite his stats hasn't elevated himself AHEAD of the options in front of him so why should Kyle be expected to?
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I love Korver, but at almost 33 years old, and with this roster, I really don't know what more he can do. It's rather unreasonable to expect him to turn into a player that he's never been or develop skills at this point of his career.

I want him to be more aggressive in trying to get himself open and to score the basketball. His shot attempts have gone down slightly in January, to 8.3 a game this month. Last night's 3 shot performance didn't help that attempt average.

I'm sorry sir this statement right here is laughable. What you want Korver to do he can't do. He can't be more aggressive (off the ball he is more aggressive than anyone). You want him to be able to create his own shot; he never was capable of doing that in the NBA. It is like expecting Josh Smith to shoot 40% from 3.

Also since when is 35 percent so bad shooting from 3 that's like 50 per from 2 last I checked I will certainly take that for a slump and the team not getting him the ball on the times he is open of course less these days due to all the attention. This team needs to get healthy ASAP..Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we go with the advanced stats to try to cover up for poor play.

The problem . . . is that he's only getting up 8 shots a game, with 5 of those shots being 3s. So on average, he's going to make 1 or 2 threes a game. Since Horford has gone down, he's only made more than 2 threes in 3 games ( out of 13 total ). And while he's kept the streak alive, he's made only 1 three in 6 of those 13 games.

So here is the breakdown in the past 13 games:

More than 2 threes made ( 3 games ): 10 - 17 FG

2 threes made ( 4 games ): 8 - 22 FG

1 three made ( 6 games ): 6 - 26 FG

That's what 35% three point shooters do . . they become highly erratic shooters. JR Smith is a 35% three point shooter. And no one would be cool at all with him and his streakyness.

If he can be shut down this easily now, what does that say about the future when he slows even more? Or what happens when we have injuries next year?

Just elevate your game Kyle. No more passiveness. Your team needs you right now. Earn that 6.7 million.

I'm sorry sir this statement right here is laughable. What you want Korver to do he can't do. He can't be more aggressive (off the ball he is more aggressive than anyone). You want him to be able to create his own shot; he never was capable of doing that in the NBA. It is like expecting Josh Smith to shoot 40% from 3.

Game . . . so what's the point in paying a guy 6+ million who is so one-dimensional, that one injury to another player can completely derail his game?

I'm not saying create his own shot. I'm saying make himself more available for shots other than 3 pointers, to try to help the team. Can't have him playing the same role that he played with everybody healthy. When people are hurt, the remaining guys have to do more. If he can't do more, why make him part of our long term plans?

Here we go with the advanced stats to try to cover up for poor play. The problem . . . is that he's only getting up 8 shots a game, with 5 of those shots being 3s. So on average, he's going to make 1 or 2 threes a game. Since Horford has gone down, he's only made more than 2 threes in 3 games ( out of 13 total ). And while he's kept the streak alive, he's made only 1 three in 6 of those 13 games. So here is the breakdown in the past 13 games: More than 2 threes made ( 3 games ): 10 - 17 FG2 threes made ( 4 games ): 8 - 22 FG1 three made ( 6 games ): 6 - 26 FG That's what 35% three point shooters do . . they become highly erratic shooters. JR Smith is a 35% three point shooter. And no one would be cool at all with him and his streakyness. If he can be shut down this easily now, what does that say about the future when he slows even more? Or what happens when we have injuries next year? Just elevate your game Kyle. No more passiveness. Your team needs you right now. Earn that 6.7 million.

It would really help Kyle if Teague would elevate his game....mmmmmm.

It would really help Kyle if Teague would elevate his game....mmmmmm.

So it's Teague's fault that Kyle is also sucking right now? I just want to get clarification on where everyone stands on this.

Kyle is getting a complete pass from most of the fan base. Teague is an easy target, because he's the PG. But Korver has turned into a less aggressive version of JR Smith, and he gets a pass?

Just watch him tonight. Watch how he almost exclusively camps out by that 3 point line, instead of finding open spaces to receive and score the basketball.

So it's Teague's fault that Kyle is also sucking right now? I just want to get clarification on where everyone stands on this. Kyle is getting a complete pass from most of the fan base. Teague is an easy target, because he's the PG. But Korver has turned into a less aggressive version of JR Smith, and he gets a pass? Just watch him tonight. Watch how he almost exclusively camps out by that 3 point line, instead of finding open spaces to receive and score the basketball.

You need to read my first post on this topic.

I think you some of you guys are really underrating Horford's importance to this team. I'm surprised our offense still runs, we only have nobody who can get their own shot and only two players that really need to be keyed on: Millsap and Korver (three when Teague decides to show up). While it's never bad to wish a player could do better, Korver can't get open as easily now. I cab see why you would think that's not worth 6+ mil a year, but I think a few GMs would disagree with you.