• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Ferry F$&k Up?

benhillboy

No position? You don't think that if Horford asked to be traded say by this time next season, that the Hawks wouldn't get all kinds of offers for him? I know he's hurt right now, but in a year, he should be fully healthy, and right back to the player he was before the injury.

These injuries have actually prolonged his career a bit

You misunderstood me, of course Horf has high trade value. I meant he is partly responsible for the situation that we are at right now because of his injury, even though the injury was not his fault. Before asking out of ATL, he needs to prove that he can stay healthy and carry the team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I agree 100% with Northcyde.............

Jefferson should have been the FA we signed. 6-11 averaging 20/10 and Horf would have been at PF. Now we have folks getting all froggy about Bebe.................I mean Bebe?????? You've got to be kidding me.

These folks who are worried about the money and cap space know the ASG would not spend the money to bring in a top FA.

In three years when Horf and Sap are gone cause the Hawks wont pay them, we will have a team with all European free agents..

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 1

• Moderators

we will have a team with all European free agents..

Where is the Euro fear coming from?

Ferry picks:

3 first round picks: 1 Euro (Jenkins, Dennis, Bebe) - 33%

2 second roudn picks: 0 Euros (Scott, Mouse) - 0%

Trade and FA acquisitions for > $2M/year:

1 Euros - 10%

Lou Williams

Kyle Korver

Elton Brand

Paul Millsap

Jeff Teague

DeMarre Caroll

Deshawn Stevenson

Johann Petro

Dahntay Jones

Devin Harris

Is the investment in Petro the big Euro move that is scaring people?

• Like 2

Do I think Ferry fcked up with Teague? No I think Ferry showed faith in Teagues ability and decided to match. I think Jeff was gonna get shopped if he played well or not , its just his recent lack of interest has pushed the timeline forwarda little sooner..

• Like 3

And for those of you that are now complaining that we should have picked up Wing players over Centers and a point guard...Weren't you screeming the opposite before Ferry came??

They were screaming the same thing even after Ferry drafted a C and PG, that they needed to be starting or brought over or more traded for.

• Premium Member

Somebody tell me what is so great about Jefferson? The guy has not turned his great low post scoring into anything close to winning.

Let's see:20.3 per game10.5 per game1.2 blocks per game50% from the field22.42 per1.4 to per gameNah, he ain't no good we got BeBe coming........
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

It's all about the system ... and a HOF C, a HOF/potential greatest PF of all time, a probable HOF PG, a likely HOF SG (when you consider the intl stuff) ...

The system is. Good.............but please don't think success of that system happened without the two superstars they drafted with the first pick in the draft twice!
  • Like 2

I know hindsight is 20/20 and the jury has barely been assembled, but based on early returns, did he f&@k up bypassing Snell and/ or Hardaway twice?

My answer is no, if you look at quality player after ferry selection i only see Hardaway who he overlooked.

But when you look at the roster, the hawks had:

- Korver(might be also an option as 3 but i like him as guard a bit more)

- Lou Williams(who was injured, but expected to be back early in the season)

- Jenkins(who was healthy)

- Cunningham

Hardaway eveloped pretty well in NY, but i am sure he need playing time for it ... Something i also think, wouldn't be bad for Jenkins who also have talent and is a quite comparable type of player. Lou season isn't good, but if he was the old Lou i believe he would be before those two talents in the rotation.

So the roster lacked players at:

- C(was there even a C?)

- SF(which only get partly solved by a SG, with Korver playing more 3)

- PG(if they didn't expected Macks improvements)

Also we should say, that players who are good enough for a PO team(even in the east) right away, was very rare(just Hardaway?).

So Ferry selected players who have good chanches, to get quality player when quality wasn't avaible ;)

With an C which was really needed, and who i think didn't blocked the spot for Jefferson or any other FA Center. But centers are rare and would be an good asset even in the future.

And a PG who avoids that Lou had to play on SG, which is imho better then letting Lou playing lot of minutes as PG so that the other 3 SG get there playing time(and also should have give Korver more minutes at the 3, like a new SG).

You could argue that he should look for Bullock, who looks promising for me ... But lets see, how dennis and Bullock plays, in one year to judge the decision cause Bullocks quality isn't so high that you couldn't replace him with an (cheaper) FA. So it comes down to the developed of the players, if it is a good or bad pick.

Also it depend of the developed of the player behind Dennis and Nogueira, to see if there was better one avaibles when Ferry drafted ... Especially on a position, with needs.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and the jury has barely been assembled, but based on early returns, did he f&@k up bypassing Snell and/ or Hardaway twice?

My answer is no, if you look at quality player after ferry selection i only see Hardaway who he overlooked.

But when you look at the roster, the hawks had:

- Korver(might be also an option as 3 but i like him as guard a bit more)

- Lou Williams(who was injured, but expected to be back early in the season)

- Jenkins(who was healthy)

- Cunningham

Hardaway eveloped pretty well in NY, but i am sure he need playing time for it ... Something i also think, wouldn't be bad for Jenkins who also have talent and is a quite comparable type of player. Lou season isn't good, but if he was the old Lou i believe he would be before those two talents in the rotation.

So the roster lacked players at:

- C(was there even a C?)

- SF(which only get partly solved by a SG, with Korver playing more 3)

- PG(if they didn't expected Macks improvements)

Also we should say, that players who are good enough for a PO team(even in the east) right away, was very rare(just Hardaway?).

So Ferry selected players who have good chanches, to get quality player when quality wasn't avaible ;)

With an C which was really needed, and who i think didn't blocked the spot for Jefferson or any other FA Center. But centers are rare and would be an good asset even in the future.

And a PG who avoids that Lou had to play on SG, which is imho better then letting Lou playing lot of minutes as PG so that the other 3 SG get there playing time(and also should have give Korver more minutes at the 3, like a new SG).

You could argue that he should look for Bullock, who looks promising for me ... But lets see, how dennis and Bullock plays, in one year to judge the decision cause Bullocks quality isn't so high that you couldn't replace him with an (cheaper) FA. So it comes down to the developed of the players, if it is a good or bad pick.

Also it depend of the developed of the player behind Dennis and Nogueira, to see if there was better one avaibles when Ferry drafted ... Especially on a position, with needs.

• Like 1

Let's see:20.3 per game10.5 per game1.2 blocks per game50% from the field22.42 per1.4 to per gameNah, he ain't no good we got BeBe coming........

Nobody is saying that he's no good but is he worth 13.5 million? His opposing C's have an 18 PER against him, leaving him with a solid, but nothing special +5.3 NET PER. Before someone brings it up, Horford, in his down year is +3.5 NET PER. Last year Horford was +5.3 NET PER and we all know he's overmatched at the position.

Jefferson is certainly having a much better year than I expected but I wouldn't be comfortable paying 14 million to a guy who doesn't play good defense at the 5. I'd rather pay 12 to a guy like Noah who rebounds his butt off and blocks shots and makes offenses have to adjust to his defense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Plus it would be the Joe Johnson Hawks all over again...There is no satisfying this fan base...When we were capped out with good player with no room to maneuver and our ceiling was the second round of the playoff, people complained. Now Ferry is Slowly rebuilding the team without going back to 13 wins and people are complaining. I swear this is a no win fan base! Posted Image

• Like 1

Plus it would be the Joe Johnson Hawks all over again...There is no satisfying this fan base...When we were capped out with good player with no room to maneuver and our ceiling was the second round of the playoff, people complained. Now Ferry is Slowly rebuilding the team without going back to 13 wins and people are complaining. I swear this is a no win fan base! Posted Image

Yeah, just look at all of this great talent he is putting together!

In two years he will have two mid first rounders and a tweener forward that can score a little bit and do nothing else.

He is off to a hot start! Maybe he will have the team rebuilt before we all die of old age.

I don't understand where this faith in Danny Ferry comes from.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

AlJeff is playing a lot better than I thought he would, but the dude's still like 28 and can't play defense, he may cool off.

Ferry placed some trust in Teague to improve. He hasn't, so yea, that was a mistake but I don't think it was an awful one.

Passing on Tim Hardaway? He's a solid rookie (not a lot of upside), but 23 other teams also passed on the dude. Bebe and Schröder are project types, they've got some work to do. We'll see in like 2 years.

Fully healthy, this team is easily the 3rd best team in the East and couple that with caproom, assets and picks every year I don't see a whole lot to complain about unless you're on the tear-it-down-and-tank crew, in which case we'll agree to disagree. Unfortunately we've gotten rocked by injuries.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah, just look at all of this great talent he is putting together!

In two years he will have two mid first rounders and a tweener forward that can score a little bit and do nothing else.

He is off to a hot start! Maybe he will have the team rebuilt before we all die of old age.

I don't understand where this faith in Danny Ferry comes from.

No one talked about any faith, I talked about patience. Kinda hard to have an accurate assessment of his performance at this stage. Maybe you do think that you know each player's trajectory already which is fine but I don't yet. So I'll just have to wait and see whether these players develop over the next couple of years rather than call for the GM's head after 1 1/2 seasons. I think what many fans do now a days is punish the current front office for what has happened in the past which shouldn't be the case. In my opinion, there are no quick fixes! Just ask New York and Detroit about that. So lets see what happens this off season.

Al Jefferson currently has a 99 Defensive rating. That places him in the top 20 in the NBA.

People want to talk about Jefferson not playing defense, but will go to the ends of the Earth to say that Korver is a great TEAM DEFENSE type of guy.

Meanwhile, Korver gets outproduced every other night.

A Jefferson - Horford frontline would've been a godsend for this franchise. A true building block to construct a squad around. There is no "plan" in the Ferry era. He's simply trying to be opportunistic if and when something comes up. Just because most Hawk fans don't believe that Al Jefferson isn't a high level player, doesn't make it true.

He's better than Millsap, despite Millsap's All-Star selection. And that's not a knock on Sap. It's simply illustrating how good Jefferson is.

In the time frame since Horford went down ( basically since Dec 28th until now ), here are Jefferson's numbers

23.8 ppg

11.2 rebs

2.5 asst

1.0 blks

1.0 stls

52% FG

68% FT

But only Hawks fans would find something wrong with a player producing at this level. Saying that he's overpaid, despite functioning as a #1 option on a nightly basis and dominating the defensive boards. Despite being able to score ( even dominate at times ) against defensive centers like Hibbert and Noah.

But keep waiting on our beloved GM to save us with some genius deal. Celebrate a Jordan Hill trade, like Ferry just pulled off some major coup or something.

• Like 1