• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What (exactly) we got for Joe Johnson

macdaddy

• Moderators

That is cool.

So all we got for Joe is Muscala, Bebe, 1st 2015, and 2nd in 2017.

Not that good.

We still have:

* Pick Swap - Upgrade from #18 pick to #16 pick in 2013 draft (i.e., not just getting Bebe but giving up the #18 pick to get Bebe).

* 2013 2nd round pick - Muscala

* Potential Pick Swap - Option to switch picks in 2015 (only valuable if we finish with a better record than Brooklyn or we are both in the lottery and they jump us).

* 2017 2nd round pick

Mostly we got:

* Relief from Joe's contract.

Edited by AHF

I don't like how this reduces everything down to "draft pick, then current assets". It makes the process in-between look pointless. But that is not the case.

We also might as well put on here that Joe Johnson got us Paul Millsap. Those waived contracts? Yeah, the all contributed to Cap Space and so that Cap Space got us Paul Millsap. BASICALLY TRADED AN ALL-STAR FOR AN ALL-STAR HUH GUYS?!?!?!

• Moderators

I don't like how this reduces everything down to "draft pick, then current assets". It makes the process in-between look pointless. But that is not the case.

We also might as well put on here that Joe Johnson got us Paul Millsap. Those waived contracts? Yeah, the all contributed to Cap Space and so that Cap Space got us Paul Millsap. BASICALLY TRADED AN ALL-STAR FOR AN ALL-STAR HUH GUYS?!?!?!

That is a very, very real part of this which is why the relief from Joe's contract was the biggest part of the trade.

• Like 3

That is a very, very real part of this which is why the relief from Joe's contract was the biggest part of the trade.

I like the thought behind the flow chart, but reducing transactions to a flow chart simplifies the process too much. That strange nexus of "waiving a player" or not resigning them in the context of the NBA is not actually loosing an asset since Cap Space is an asset for a league that has a Salary Cap.

This flow chart would work for MLB where teams are not constrained by signing amount. For NBA/NFL/NHL? Not so much because Cap Space is valuable.

Indeed - and Even before we get to the Paul Millsap signing - where is the addition of Kyle Korver, we received a trade exception created by the trade to get him from the Bulls without giving up anything.

Indeed - and Even before we get to the Paul Millsap signing - where is the addition of Kyle Korver, we received a trade exception created by the trade to get him from the Bulls without giving up anything.

Totally forgot about that one. So the flow chart isn't even accurate in accounting for the transactions it spurred on.

So in other words nothing!!! We should have gotten a young prospect. Damn JJ was balling in the playoffs this year. I still say that we should have gotten Marshon Brooks.

I know cause that Marshon Brooks really blew up in Boston (on a team full of nobodies), then in Golden State, then in LA (ALL THIS YEAR!). Clearly there's an issue with him as he's been on 4 teams in the past 2 years.

So in other words nothing!!! We should have gotten a young prospect. Damn JJ was balling in the playoffs this year. I still say that we should have gotten Marshon Brooks.

Marshon Brooks? Sigh

He played great. I agree. I've always been a fan of JJ. He lit up Bron.... But they lost. And that contract... I think we made out as a franchise.

• Moderators

He played great. I agree. I've always been a fan of JJ. He lit up Bron.... But they lost. And that contract... I think we made out as a franchise.

JJ balled and had his career best playoffs this year...after two consecutive years of woefully bad playoff performance for Atlanta and Brooklyn. This year was actually his first really efficient playoff scoring since 2007-08 (which wasn't nearly this good).

• Like 1

Waiting for the post from YKW about it was a garbage trade that netted the Hawks less than nothing for a perennial All Star, the contract would have become more valuable as time went on, Millsap was signed by letting Josh go, the ASG are cheap and never bothered to put a real team around Joe like saaaaaaay spending 200 million on the roster, Marshon Brooks is the truth already mentioned

I'm sure I'm missing something of course but in summary: Trade bad!

• Like 4