• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - 76ers

lethalweapon3

That was a testament to just how bad the 76ers are. Our effort was about as poor tonight as it was against Cleveland, but this was a 16-point win instead of a 33-point loss. 

I missed the first half but it seemed like Mike M was the only one playing really hard.

Also, Dennis is going to have to improve his jumper because teams are playing him to drive and they're starting to block his shots more and more.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Oh man, have you been to either or both? I really wanna take a trip east coast and visit Philly, NY and Boston.

Oh man, have you been to either or both? I really wanna take a trip east coast and visit Philly, NY and Boston.

Growing up there, it was a virtual pilgrimage to South Philly. IMO, Pat's has the better steak part, Geno's has the better roll and cheese. But intown folks know Jim's on South Street (in Center City) has the best cheesesteak overall.

~lw3

I haven't watched one Philly game this yr till this one. I will say that they are a much better defensive team than many think Luc and Noel really do a great job on defense. They are hedging extremely well, they protect the paint, don't allow easy baskets and they really cover a lot of ground defensively. Their wing players show promise defensively but they don't have good awareness. They get lost often of their man and it leads to constant mistakes, especially MCW. He shows so much promise on D but so little awareness. Overall, their offense is the worst I've seen since our 2004-05 Hawks. The good thing about those Hawks is their opponents weren't as good as the NBA teams today. They might have been worse overall. There isn't one part of offense where I would say they are even below average at outside of transition offense(fast break). 

Honestly, I left impress to a degree. MCW is not the PG of the future unless he learns the game. This losing will have him locked into bad habits like John Wall was when he joined Washington. Noel is a player I would trade when Embiid gets to town. They need is legit young wing player with potential. That would help them tremendously. I would trade him for Ben McLemore if it was often. 

If developed right, K.J. McDaniels could become is very good player but he needs real development. I really don't see players getting better due to, too much being asked of them. McDaniels could be a more athletic Josh Howard but he's very raw right now. He should be glued to someone bench or in the NBDL right now. 

Keep Luc at PF. 

Trade Shved if you aren't going to use him correctly. He needs to be a SF with ball handling responsibilities but he's not a PG. 

Overall, this Sixers team has potential but to reach it, they will need some more vets and a better mix. No one is a potential franchise player but Noel right now on that team. Embiid development will be huge. I would say they need try to land J. Winslow or try to sign K. Leonard in free agency. That could seriously improve them. I also do see MCW as the PG of the future. He has some really bad habits. Last year, he seemed better than Dennis but he seems to be the same player and Dennis is much better and Dennis is better right now. Some players really need to develop. But K.J. McDaniels is a player I would like Atlanta to have to develop and sent to the DL instead of John Jenkins. 

On to Jenkins, he didn't do much of anything but I am questioning his value on this franchise for the long term or any NBA franchise. What's the point of having him on the roster? 

Edited by nbasupes40retired
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Went to the game last night. Definitely looked like some of the guys just weren't that engaged in the game. With that said, gotta give them credit for beating a team they should beat. Props to Bud for mixing it up with Scott out and giving Moose some minutes.

I missed the first half but it seemed like Mike M was the only one playing really hard.

Also, Dennis is going to have to improve his jumper because teams are playing him to drive and they're starting to block his shots more and more.

His jumper isn't really bad.

Split Value FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% eFG% Ast'd %Ast'd
Shot Type Dunk 2 2 1.000 0 0   1.000 1 .500
  Jump Shot 28 65 .431 8 26 .308 .492 13 .464
  Lay-Up 36 57 .632 0 0   .632 3 .083

Actually it's equal to Teague's overall

Split Value FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% eFG% Ast'd %Ast'd
Shot Type Dunk 8 8 1.000 0 0   1.000 2 .250
  Jump Shot 58 148 .392 21 50 .420 .463 20 .345
  Lay-Up 53 86 .616 0 0   .616 12 .226
  Tip Shot 0 1 .000 0 0   .000 0  

But nevertheless I agree that 76ers made it hard for both PGs to drive to the basket. Noel did well.

It's really nice to see Dennis an Teague against teams which aren't able to stop them, but it could become a problem, that you can stop them both in the same way... Imagine a playoff series against a team witch is able to shut down our PGs that way...

Edited by rd79
  • Like 1

His jumper isn't really bad.

Split Value FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% eFG% Ast'd %Ast'd Shot Type Dunk 2 2 1.000 0 0   1.000 1 .500   Jump Shot 28 65 .431 8 26 .308 .492 13 .464   Lay-Up 36 57 .632 0 0   .632 3 .083

Actually it's equal to Teague's overall

Split Value FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% eFG% Ast'd %Ast'd Shot Type Dunk 8 8 1.000 0 0   1.000 2 .250   Jump Shot 58 148 .392 21 50 .420 .463 20 .345   Lay-Up 53 86 .616 0 0   .616 12 .226   Tip Shot 0 1 .000 0 0   .000 0  

But nevertheless I agree that 76ers made it hard for both PGs to drive to the basket. Noel did well.

It's really nice to see Dennis an Teague against teams which aren't able to stop them, but it could become a problem, that you can stop them both in the same way... Imagine a playoff series against a team witch is able to shut down our PGs that way...

Philly really does a great job of interior defense. Luc Richard and Noel are one of the better interior guys I've seen this year if not the best. If their perimeter defenders weren't so unaware and their interior depth wasn't so weak, they would really give teams a lot of issues. 

• Like 1

Philly really does a great job of interior defense. Luc Richard and Noel are one of the better interior guys I've seen this year if not the best. If their perimeter defenders weren't so unaware and their interior depth wasn't so weak, they would really give teams a lot of issues.

I noticed some bright spots for them, too. Shved and Noel hopefully should be able to develop at a good pace despite not having the coaching in place to foster it, but the McDaniels guy might go the way of Shabazz Muhammad types. I don't know what to make of MCW his role is so distorted.

It shouldn't be understated how impressive it was to kill them on the glass like we did. Regardless of what Embiid becomes though, they'll still be the doormat for the NBA as long as Heinke is GM.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Off topic but I aplologize to Shabazz, his numbers look pretty good for 18 minutes. I know there are a few Wolves followers here, interested in their take. Didn't Shved look good at times when he was there? And I'm guessing they have a much brighter future than their record suggests looking at their roster. Getting Martin and Rubio back should make them pretty fun to watch.

• Premium Member

Sixers basically collapses in the paint and dared our players to take jumpshots (that's why we took 20 threes in the first quarter). Usually, this wouldn't be a great sttrategy against us considering we are a top shooting team, but shots were not falling today so we struggled on offense.

• Admin

22 to be exact, then we took only 8 in 2nd half.

That is one thing that worries me .... Live by the three .... Die by the three

We need to take it to the basket it a little more ... get to the free throw line ...

If we go cold out there we can very easily lose the game since we are so dependent on it

That is one thing that worries me .... Live by the three .... Die by the three

We need to take it to the basket it a little more ... get to the free throw line ...

If we go cold out there we can very easily lose the game since we are so dependent on it

I don't think our 3 pt attempts have been excessive.  We're only attempting 24.8 per game which is 8th most in the league.  Houston attempts 34.4 per game.

• Like 1

I broke down the numbers:

13 3pt attempts in the first quarter

9 3pt attempts in the second quarter

Thank you sir. That sounds a lot more reasonable. I thought 22 in the 1st quarter sounded crazy high but 8-12 per quarter when the defense is giving up 3pt looks isn't too bad.