• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What does this mean?

asdogg

NBA HANGTIME Blog : are the Bulls the team to beat in the east ?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com: This is the best Bulls team since Michael Jordan retired for the second time, as far as depth and potential, so there’s no reason – on paper – that it shouldn’t get to The Finals. Cleveland, more than its general meshing, has a problem in Anderson Varejao‘s injury that might not get fixed until the offseason. Toronto, in postseason savvy, is a step behind Washington. And the Wizards, for all the confidence they gained last spring, would have trouble defending against this more-potent Chicago lineup. Atlanta? I respect the Hawks, but one-trick ponies have trouble in seven-game series. So the biggest question for Chicago remains Derrick Rose‘s long-term health and availability. Which means the “who” who might stop the Bulls must be … uh, trainer Jeff Tanaka? (Just kidding, Jeff)

Atlanta? I respect the Hawks, but one-trick ponies have trouble in seven-game series.

What is our one trick ??...winning ..this guy makes no sense we are top 10 in offense and defense rating our only weakness is rebounding ..,but to call us one trick Is nonsense .

I'm not sure what he means... but , a pony that only needs to know 1 trick.

jump-on-horse-get-kick.gif

and that's kicking the Bulls out of the playoffs.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 3

• Moderators

i guess he's saying that because we lack great post play, that we kind of live and die by the jumpshot?

Bingo. We are jump shooting team that lives and dies by the 3. But for being a "one-trick pony", that's bullshit cause we play great defense on most nights and have a great PG rotation that gives us penetration and can finish around the hoop. Only aspects we are missing is back-to-basket post play and a defensive anchor at center.

• Like 2

One trick?  Makes the Hawks sound like a cheap hooker.

If this writer wants to call us "One Trick" it would be nice

if he could reveal what that one trick is.  Instead, he leaves

everyone guessing at what he means.

Then, casual fans hear this and snicker under their breath

because they "Just Know" that this is true.

I don't know what team he's from or representing.  I know

that, if I find out, I'll want the Hawks to beat the crap out

of them just because of him.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

paladin.gif

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Bingo. We are jump shooting team that lives and dies by the 3. But for being a "one-trick pony", that's bullshit cause we play great defense on most nights and have a great PG rotation that gives us penetration and can finish around the hoop. Only aspects we are missing is back-to-basket post play and a defensive anchor at center.

We are very good at scoring inside as well. Just because we don't have amazing post players (though Horf and Millsap are definitely not bad) doesn't mean we can't score in the paint. We have devastated teams with back cuts, and when Millsap and Horford are making their mid-range jumpshots (which happens more often than not) it opens up the lane for both of our PGs to drive and they are both great at finishing. 

These half ass written articles kill me. They do no research and then put this crap out there to the general public and they eat it up. We're 7th in the league in attempts per game and %....meaning there are 6 teams who shoot the 3 more than we do. Houston, Phoenix, Dallas, Portland, Clippers, and Golden State all shoot more than us. All of them are contenders except Phoenix....but we're a one trick pony.

Edited by jy23
  • Like 1

• Moderators

We are very good at scoring inside as well. Just because we don't have amazing post players (though Horf and Millsap are definitely not bad) doesn't mean we can't score in the paint. We have devastated teams with back cuts, and when Millsap and Horford are making their mid-range jumpshots (which happens more often than not) it opens up the lane for both of our PGs to drive and they are both great at finishing. 

True... our paint production comes a bit non-traditionally, but during the 10 seconds this guy spent writing that excerpt, all he looked at was our assists totals, rebound totals, and how many three's we jack up.  Sure we get points in the paint, but if you were to take a passing glance at this team, you wouldn't say that there is a good post player on the team.  Every player except Elton Brand is outside-in.  There isn't a player on our roster that "thrives" in the paint, i.e. Dwight Howard, Deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Roy Hibbert, etc.  The writer sees that and then makes in off-base remark that we are a "one-trick pony".

I honestly don't know why we even give these "journalist" the light of fricking day on the Squawk.  And this is one of the cons of being a team-basketball squad.  Writers knows us as the Atlanta Hawks and not by one player, i.e. Durant in OKC, Lebron in Cleveland, and Melo in New York.  In other words, THEY DON'T KNOW WHO WE ARE.  Of course we on the Squawk know better than to believe that the Hawks are a "one-trick pony"... we are die hard fans of the Hawks.  It'd be like one of us Hawks fnas trying to analyze Portland in under a minute.  We know about LMA and Lillard. But who are the Portland Trailblazers?

• Like 2

We've got outside shooters....we can penetrate the paint with our guards....Sap and Horford can play back to basket when need be.....we play great defense...we can be effective in transition....Where's the one trick? Our team's only weakness is rebounding. 

We've got outside shooters....we can penetrate the paint with our guards....Sap and Horford can play back to basket when need be.....we play great defense...we can be effective in transition....Where's the one trick? Our team's only weakness is rebounding.

Unfortunately writers aren't as perceptive or knowledgable about the squad as you are.

The "they can't post" and "where's their go-to scorer" arguments are just too silly to someone who's seen Al go after Love on about 5 consecutive plays, Sap and Bud finding ways to exploit any 4 in the league, and Teague dominate whenever quality shot blocking isn't present, which is a majority of the time due to lack of opposing personell or having to come out on the perimeter with Al and Pero. If I'm not mistaken the last World Champ took a signifigant amount of threes, they didn't have the league-leading three point shooter by a wide margin did they?

Those without bias describe this team as "playing beautifully on both ends," just look at them as the lucky ones who know. Those less enlightened will do a 180 in due time when the bright lights come on for the casual folk.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think our one trick is running an actual offense with high iq players.   Until someone shows they can stop that one trick I'm happy as a clam.  Chicago has three tricks: give it to Pau, give it to Rose, give it to butler.  Rose is in and out, Pau is 100, and Butler is leading the league at 40 minutes a game.   He'll be toast by the playoffs.    That's my biased take.  If you're going to go homer you have to go full homer.

Unfortunately because the internet is at the hands of everyone these days, we get to see writeups like this by people who have never even watched more than Hawks highlights on ESPN.

I actually think the Bulls are one of the top teams that could leave the postseason early.  Jimmy Butler leads the league in minutes and Pau who is getting up there is averaging 35.  This team is going to burn out.

I think we have a more complete roster from top to bottom and Bud is doing really well managing minutes.  Even though I cringe a little when the 2nd unit struggles, I know it's for the greater good to let our guys rest.  We only have Millsap averaging the most at 33+ which is great.  I know Bud isn't going to run his guys into the ground just to get an extra regular season win.  I recall Woody doing that but he was coaching for his job.  I think we all know Bud has a bigger plan, and hopefully it will get us far in the postseason.