• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zeke said Teague needs to have a killer in him to be a superstar

NBASupes

• Moderators

Thomas was probably the worst GM in the history of this league ...

I am okay with him not judging us too well and thinking the Pistons are better

Exactly.  

Thomas:

*  Was a solid drafter but did nothing too spectacular in Toronto

*  Was an epic level bad GM in New York

*  Destroyed the CBA

Along the way he also embarassed himself and his organization with his personal conduct.  Forgive me for not caring in the slightest whether he thinks this team is being run the right way considering he failed badly at both the basketball and business sides of the biggest jobs of his basketball career.  Whenever he has had the final say on things, they have gone down the crapper.  

Maybe he can believe that we would be better with guys like Eddy Curry, Stephon Marbury, Jalen Rose, Maurice Taylor, Jerome James, Steve Francis, Jared Jeffries and Quentin Richardson on enormous contracts but we'll stick with our crew of lower profile, better value players.  Thanks, Zeke!

• Like 1

ESPN's Kevin Arnovitz was just on 92.9, good stuff. I caught the tail end, but he said FA players really harp on "not playing road games at home" and the shoddy ownership when considering the Hawks (Bud, the streamlined organizational flow, and Koonin's marketing is changing this) and the Hawks have "the best product on the floor in the NBA". Heard, word.

Some of yall are too emotional. Isaiah is simply saying that Teague needs to not hesitate to take over a game if need be. It's the same thing most of the Teague haters have always said about Teague, before he consistently started playing All-Star level basketball.

Teague is very good right now. I have no problem with his play. But if we get in a playoff game, and Horford and Millsap have a lackluster game ( like they did last night ), Teague is the one person on the team that could possibly carry the Hawks offensively for a 4 - 5 minute stretch.

It's the same thing Isaiah used to as a player. He dialed back his game a lot during the Bad Boy years. But when he he needed to"turn up", Isaiah had the ability to do it.

Killer = dog. The fan base has always cried about Teague's passiveness. But when someone nationally says that he needs that "killer" in him, yall get mad?

• Moderators

Some of yall are too emotional. Isaiah is simply saying that Teague needs to not hesitate to take over a game if need be. It's the same thing most of the Teague haters have always said about Teague, before he consistently started playing All-Star level basketball.

Teague is very good right now. I have no problem with his play. But if we get in a playoff game, and Horford and Millsap have a lackluster game ( like they did last night ), Teague is the one person on the team that could possibly carry the Hawks offensively for a 4 - 5 minute stretch.

It's the same thing Isaiah used to as a player. He dialed back his game a lot during the Bad Boy years. But when he he needed to"turn up", Isaiah had the ability to do it.

Killer = dog. The fan base has always cried about Teague's passiveness. But when someone nationally says that he needs that "killer" in him, yall get mad?

Teague is on his game this season so what is there to be critical about?  

More to the point, how can you wrap your head around his statement that the Pistons are highly talented and the Hawks aren't?

Monroe, Drummond, Jennings, Meeks as a shooter

vs.

Teague, Horford, Sap, Korver as a shooter

I agree with Zeke. They are more talented individually.

• Premium Member

Monroe, Drummond, Jennings, Meeks as a shooter

vs.

Teague, Horford, Sap, Korver as a shooter

I agree with Zeke. They are more talented individually.

huh? Outside of Drummond being better than this years version of Horford we are better than them at every position. 

Sap>Monroe

Teague>>>Jennings

Korver>>>Meeks

Am I missing something here? Our bench is also a lot better than theirs. Detroit is talented enough to be the 7th or maybe 6th seed in the East, nothing more. 

huh? Outside of Drummond being better than this years version of Horford we are better than them at every position. 

Sap>Monroe

Teague>>>Jennings

Korver>>>Meeks

Am I missing something here? Our bench is also a lot better than theirs. Detroit is talented enough to be the 7th or maybe 6th seed in the East, nothing more. 

Drummond is only slightly better than DeAndre Jordan also.

Drummond is a great rebounder, but he is one of the more over hyped players.

Teague is on his game this season so what is there to be critical about?  

More to the point, how can you wrap your head around his statement that the Pistons are highly talented and the Hawks aren't?

This is what I'm talking about AHF. Fans are just a little too emotional and not thinking rationally.

We all know what the history of the NBA is. The team that normally wins a NBA title either has a superstar on it, or has a player capable of playing like a superstar at any given moment.

Isaiah isn't criticizing Teague. He's simply wanting Teague to be that superstar for us. And sometimes, for people to recognize you, you have to do superstar things.

Jeff Teague has a lot of Kevin Johnson in him. And when KJ finally reached his peak as a PG, that dude was a flat out MONSTER to contain. Teague is showing signs that he can become that type of player. But he has to have that KILLER in him most nights, to get to KJ's level.

Isaiah wants to see some "championship swagger" out of the Hawks. He wants them to verbally talk like a championship contender. That's not the personality of this team, so they won't say it.

And honestly man, a fan base that has no idea what it is like to have serious championship aspirations on a yearly basis, can't discount the comments of a 2X NBA Champion - Hall of Fame player ... when it comes to what it takes to win a title.

• Premium Member

This is what I'm talking about AHF. Fans are just a little too emotional and not thinking rationally.

We all know what the history of the NBA is. The team that normally wins a NBA title either has a superstar on it, or has a player capable of playing like a superstar at any given moment.

Isaiah isn't criticizing Teague. He's simply wanting Teague to be that superstar for us. And sometimes, for people to recognize you, you have to do superstar things.

Jeff Teague has a lot of Kevin Johnson in him. And when KJ finally reached his peak as a PG, that dude was a flat out MONSTER to contain. Teague is showing signs that he can become that type of player. But he has to have that KILLER in him most nights, to get to KJ's level.

Isaiah wants to see some "championship swagger" out of the Hawks. He wants them to verbally talk like a championship contender. That's not the personality of this team, so they won't say it.

And honestly man, a fan base that has no idea what it is like to have serious championship aspirations on a yearly basis, can't discount the comments of a 2X NBA Champion - Hall of Fame player ... when it comes to what it takes to win a title.

Tim Duncan, 5x NBA Champion and top10 NBA player of all time, doesn't throw elbows and talk trash.  Why should Jeff Teague?

• Like 1

Tim Duncan, 5x NBA Champion and top10 NBA player of all time, doesn't throw elbows and talk trash. Why should Jeff Teague?

It's not about talking trash. It's about exuding confidence in yourself as a player and in your team as a whole.

This is what Isaiah is talking about. Read the article carefully.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-heat-spurs-bolch-20140603-story.html

It's nothing over the top. It's simply having a stated goal of a championship and not being afraid to say it. Of course we're talking about a player in Duncan who had already won 4 titles before getting #5 last season. So it's easier for him to have that confidence.

That mental transformation for the Hawks doesn't have to take place right now. But it will have to take place soon. If it doesn't, the team may not be mentally tough enough for battle in the playoffs.

Ask the Clippers and Chris Paul what it feels like for everyone to say you have a top level team, but not have the mental swagger of a championship level team.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

Zeke is once again a day late and a dollar short. The criticism would have made sense a year and most definitely two years ago but rings hollow now. Having championships to your resume certainly doesn't validate your opinion neither especially when you are amongst the Mt. Rushmore of "Great players that made terrible GMs". It's just the same ole big media standing with their jaws agape because they can't fathom how the Hawks have unseated their fav so they choose to either ignore them or rely on dated tropes to explain why it doesn't matter.

• Like 3

Zeke is once again a day late and a dollar short. The criticism would have made sense a year and most definitely two years ago but rings hollow now. Having championships to your resume certainly doesn't validate your opinion neither especially when you are amongst the Mt. Rushmore of "Great players that made terrible GMs". It's just the same ole big media standing with their jaws agape because they can't fathom how the Hawks have unseated their fav so they choose to either ignore them or rely on dated tropes to explain why it doesn't matter.

Bingo

He is sixth in the NBA in 4th Qtr scoring.

• Like 3

I do agree with Isaiah on this one point. Modern players are to close; there seems to be no genuine rilvary or hate between them. Be friends when your careers are over but go and compete now.

This is what I love about Dennis you can tell he wants to slay whoever is in front of him and is never star struck.

Sports are better when there is an edge. Think about the Celtics series we played. Nothing felt better than beating KG and Pierce.

I think this team is developing that. To Quote the great Schröder. "I want them to fear us. Right now they are just curious. " This kid has the heart of a lion and I hope it is rubbing off on his teammates.