• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith insults the Atlanta fanbase

Wurider05

• Premium Member

It may have been a whiny thing to say, but there could be some truth to it... it's not like we haven't bemoaned on this forum over the years from time to time how the fan base couldn't be depended upon to support the home team.

Time will tell whether the new people showing up will stick around when this present level of success ebbs; if they don't, then the insult will be accurate.

Otoh, what Josh doesn't seem to get is that he had a part in having not earned the respect and admiration of ATL fans previous to this--to the degree that they are only bandwagon fans, he himself is partially responsible for that.

Funny thing... and some of you will laugh at this, but I'm entitled to my opinion... I think Josh's game would have absolutely flourished had he had a coach like Bud while he was here.

• Like 3

• Moderators

It may have been a whiny thing to say, but there could be some truth to it... it's not like we haven't bemoaned on this forum over the years from time to time how the fan base couldn't be depended upon to support the home team.

Time will tell whether the new people showing up will stick around when this present level of success ebbs; if they don't, then the insult will be accurate.

Otoh, what Josh doesn't seem to get is that he had a part in having not earned the respect and admiration of ATL fans previous to this--to the degree that they are only bandwagon fans, he himself is partially responsible for that.

Funny thing... and some of you will laugh at this, but I'm entitled to my opinion... I think Josh's game would have absolutely flourished had he had a coach like Bud while he was here.

You're right about that last part.  laugh1.gif laugh.png laughing5.gif

• Like 1

It really took that display last night for the rest of the people to see what the true colors of Josh are.  He's always been a talented player that was capable of playing team ball . . . but he wanted to play it like HE wanted to play it.  He wanted desperately to be the man offensively, without the offensive arsenal to be just that.  And because he wasn't tough enough to live on the inside and not take jumpers, his game would always be hella flawed.

But it's like I told ya'll when JJ made that infamous comment during the 2010 playoffs vs Orlando, it was actually Josh who said something about the guys playing for each other and not the fans, 2 years prior.  JJ said his comment out of frustration for how the team was playing, and because the crowd booed the Hawks for about 3 straight quarters ( which I always thought was BS ).

But even JJ, with the lack of love that he receives every time he comes back to ATL, has always been complimentary of his former teammates and had high praise for the Hawks the last time Brooklyn played them.

Josh, on the other hand, came in here like he was a superstar, and thought for sure he was going to leave out of here with a victory . . . and tried to show us up in the process.  Then when he loses, he takes a shot at the Atlanta crowd . . like they didn't desperately want that guy to succeed, being the hometown product that he was.

If Josh wants to call the crowd "bandwaggoners", that's cool . . and may have a lot of truth to it.  But they were also HOMERS for you Josh.  People defended your style of play to the death, even convincing themselves that you'd be better off taking a ton of 3s, than long 2s . . despite you not being able to shoot from either area.

It's just sad that he had to go out like that.  I hope they make the NBA Finals though, and play us.  I'd LOVE to see that series now, with the Rockets at full strength.

• Like 3

It really took that display last night for the rest of the people to see what the true colors of Josh are.  He's always been a talented player that was capable of playing team ball . . . but he wanted to play it like HE wanted to play it.  He wanted desperately to be the man offensively, without the offensive arsenal to be just that.  And because he wasn't tough enough to live on the inside and not take jumpers, his game would always be hella flawed.

But it's like I told ya'll when JJ made that infamous comment during the 2010 playoffs vs Orlando, it was actually Josh who said something about the guys playing for each other and not the fans, 2 years prior.  JJ said his comment out of frustration for how the team was playing, and because the crowd booed the Hawks for about 3 straight quarters ( which I always thought was BS ).

But even JJ, with the lack of love that he receives every time he comes back to ATL, has always been complimentary of his former teammates and had high praise for the Hawks the last time Brooklyn played them.

Josh, on the other hand, came in here like he was a superstar, and thought for sure he was going to leave out of here with a victory . . . and tried to show us up in the process.  Then when he loses, he takes a shot at the Atlanta crowd . . like they didn't desperately want that guy to succeed, being the hometown product that he was.

If Josh wants to call the crowd "bandwaggoners", that's cool . . and may have a lot of truth to it.  But they were also HOMERS for you Josh.  People defended your style of play to the death, even convincing themselves that you'd be better off taking a ton of 3s, than long 2s . . despite you not being able to shoot from either area.

It's just sad that he had to go out like that.  I hope they make the NBA Finals though, and play us.  I'd LOVE to see that series now, with the Rockets at full strength.

Agreed.

He's not entirely wrong, there are a lot of 'johnny come lately' to the Hawks now that they are winning.  I can't find cheap tickets anymore angry2.gif   

Some fans are indeed fickle, I've been reading other fan sites and some are saying if the Hawks don't win a ring this year they won't be supporting them next year which is just silly.

I can't fault fans for wanting to spend money on a winning product.

I think if you took this team's record to any NBA town where they had to endure years of Osh, Iso-Joe, Marvin, Woody, and LD, there would be a ton of guys hopping on the bandwagon, too. For the love of God, we created a drinking game on the chat after LD press conferences and dropped enough expletives there after a horrid Osh shot/turnover/bad pass to have gotten any of us banned today (especially the night we did Hawks' Family Feud after a bad loss, which probably had Dolfan thiiiiissss close to suspending the chatroom altogether). That's how flawed those teams were. Yet he expected us to give him a standing ovation?

Can you imagine what Bull or Laker fans had done if they had to witness Osh taking those shots in their uniform? He would've gotten booed the instant he took off his warmups. Spurs fans would've tried to kill him; that's if Pops didn't get to him Clemenza-style first...'oh, you won't see him no more...'

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 1

. For the love of God, we created a drinking game on the chat after LD press conferences and dropped enough expletives there after a horrid Osh shot/turnover/bad pass to have gotten any of us banned today. That's how flawed those teams were. Yet he expected us to give him a standing ovation?

lol6.gif

The drinking games aren't as much fun with Bud.

I dunno Lady Jay...the innuendoes Bud spits out every now and again have gotten some laughs ('we got into them', 'we're growing', 'he came up strong we needed him'). It still isn't as good as the classic hits LD used to have, like 'gotta put our pants on, gotta eat right', 'NRG', and 'uhmmm'...

Bud is learning, though...

Edited by Dejay

You either get it or you don't. Josh never got it and never will. He doesn't realize he was a huge reason people, especially casual fans, didn't like this team for years. The difference between him and Millsap is night and day. When was the last time you saw Sap doing something just dumb in a game? We know the last time we saw Josh.

Josh needs to look at the last 24 months and then look in the mirror. The Hawks let him walk and then the Pistons cut him. He is now coming off the bench. Remember the I am a max player talk and he is an all-star crap. Josh is washed up.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I've said this before, but a big problem with our fanbase is also history (or lack thereof).  Every team has their bandwagon following and their core following, but teams that have had true success have something that the fans can reflect upon.  To date, the Hawks have had no such foundation to build upon - beyond the excitement of Nique.  The Hawks are making their history right now.  If they carry this forward with Finals appearances, or God forbid TITLES, it'll provide an anchor for a larger and more devoted fanbase in the future.

I agree 100% on Josh.  I think it gets missed that Josh was brought on straight out of high school and with reports saying he had attitude problems (he fell all the way from 6th in the draft because of that).  He was drafted by his hometown, blown up by the fans, and allowed to roam free in Woody's unstructured offense.  He needed a better coach.

• Like 3

That's the problem though, Wur. We see a player with unique skills who only wants to show off his flaws. He looks in that mirror and sees Lebron, Kobe, and Derrick Rose put together in one body. His ego escapes no bounds...

• Premium Member

I think if you took this team's record to any NBA town where they had to endure years of Osh, Iso-Joe, Marvin, Woody, and LD, there would be a ton of guys hopping on the bandwagon, too. For the love of God, we created a drinking game on the chat after LD press conferences and dropped enough expletives there after a horrid Osh shot/turnover/bad pass to have gotten any of us banned today. That's how flawed those teams were. Yet he expected us to give him a standing ovation?

Can you imagine what Bull or Laker fans had done if they had to witness Osh taking those shots in their uniform? He would've gotten booed the instant he took off his warmups. Spurs fans would've tried to kill him; that's if Pops didn't get to him Clemenza-style first...'oh, you won't see him no more...'

man if I had a nickel for each time LD bitched about effort in his postgame presser

• Premium Member

Josh needs to look at the last 24 months and then look in the mirror. The Hawks let him walk and then the Pistons cut him. He is now coming off the bench. Remember the I am a max player talk and he is an all-star crap. Josh is washed up.

I agree with this so much.  I keep questioning...how does he NOT see it?  Crazy.

I wouldn't say he's washed up though, just too full of ego and pride.  A little on the ignorant side too.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Honestly, it might not have been spoken very much, but I think a whole lot of what fan base we had were excited to see Smoove selected in the draft because of the comparisons of his talent to the modern-day face/statue of the franchise. Sure, he didn't have a reliable jumper, but then Nique didn't either when he was drafted... it wasn't hard to imagine that if Nique could develop his jumper, so could Smoove. It's my theory that he always was trying to be the next Nique, if not even a little better. He couldn't get there. I was frustrated by him, but also frustrated for him. I appreciated the desire, even as I didn't appreciate that his decision-making/maturity never seemed to develop.

• Like 1