• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we really be booing a Joe in this series like a villain

NJHAWK

Hell no. I feel like some of the bandwagon idiots at the games only do it because other irrational fans tell them to. If someone offered me millions I'm not gonna say no. There are loads more players and leaders in this org that deserve booes more than him

• Like 3

This is the PROs.  People pay good money and a "Booo" isn't cussing or fighting.

If it were a college or high school game I would call out the fans - but this is professional basketball. 

I don't think the booos effected JJ's game at all...Magic got boo-ed in Boston and Bird got Boo-ed in L.A.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

Do you realize he crapped all over the fans? Or are you a clueless fan? Or someone who doesn't realize he is on the other team?

Do you realize he crapped all over the fans? Or are you a clueless fan? Or someone who doesn't realize he is on the other team?

Certainly I realize hes on the other team. He isnt being booed like a player thats just playing for the other team. Hes being booed every time he touches the ball loudly, like its personal. Im just trying to figure out why it is personal with Joe.

• Like 3

Certainly I realize hes on the other team. He isnt being booed like a player thats just playing for the other team. Hes being booed every time he touches the ball loudly, like its personal. Im just trying to figure out why it is personal with Joe.

It's not personal...it's just business

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

I really didn't plan on booing him when I arrived at Philips today. I knew he would be booed, and I had decided not to do it to him. Was he overpaid by us? Certainly, but who wouldn't take that money. Did he never take us very far in the playoffs? Yes, he never did. But he did his best, he just wasn't good enough.

Then I got to Philips and was completely engulfed in the atmosphere and booed him every time he touched the ball. It's really as DJ says, it's not personal. Just business.

• Like 2

Maybe its boredom with this series? There is no real rivalry in this series so were just trying to create one? Theres no Lebron to hate on. Theres no Pierce vs Horford or KG vs Zaza.

• Premium Member

I still think highly of Joe. I get the conflicted feelings. But there's also an implicit complement here. Our fans wouldn't bother to boo him if he wasn't regarded as a threat. It's a game. And our fans are just doing what fans ought to do in order to help the home team win the game--rattle the other side. For now, Joe's on the other side when the game clock is going.

He said he doesn't care if fans show up at all to the games. These fans showed up to the game. Boo the man. If not for that, then for him basically telling you he doesn't give a f*** about you even when he played here, and suffocated the team concept. He is a ball stopper and doesn't care for fans. There's a reason why Zaza is a fan favorite (see: his speech) and Joe isn't. Effort and team play goes a long way with people who watch. Plus, flattering the company you are with (fans) is always a plus for public relations.

Personally, I didn't boo him when I was at game 1. I utilized the golden rule, if he doesn't care about me (a fan) then I don't care about him. But I fully support those who felt compelled to boo. And if people bring up his contract...then I don't know how to respond. I know more about contracts and cap management than anyone on this board and I don't find that to be a reason to boo so I don't know why people assume that is why fans boo. Assuming fans boo because of the contract says more about you (not literally @NJHAWK but the royal you) than it does about the fans.

Pretty much this. Plus a few more things. For one, he was paid handsomely to be our star player, to lead us to a championship. I don't blame him for taking the money someone was offering him; but I do blame him for his apparent lackadasical attitude; his lackluster performances in big games, and not being the alph-dog team leader that took this team by the horns and did something with it. Do we think someone like Lebron or Kobe or Wade would have settled for being so carefree and casual about wins and lossess? Again, I don't blame him for who he is, nor taking the money; what I blame him for is taking that money knowing the role that would be demended of him when he did, and never fullfilling that role

Second, to many people Joe is a symbol of everything that was wrong about our Hawks while he was here. The ISO-Joe offenses, the lack of defense, the terrible team chemistry. The underachieving. The lack of any real future because of how much money was tied up into players that were getting overpaid. A team that would allow Josh Smith to hoist brick after brick and never put a stop to it and demand better from him. Fans are finally now exposed to good team basketball; and now that we've seen how good it can be a lot of people are letting out their frustrations from having to watch the travesty of a team we had before.

Combine what I've just said with the things hawksfanatic said above, and I think it's painfully obvious why a lot of people choose to boo Johnson - and I agree with them.

• Like 1

He said he doesn't care if fans show up at all to the games. These fans showed up to the game. Boo the man. If not for that, then for him basically telling you he doesn't give a f*** about you even when he played here, and suffocated the team concept. He is a ball stopper and doesn't care for fans. There's a reason why Zaza is a fan favorite (see: his speech) and Joe isn't. Effort and team play goes a long way with people who watch. Plus, flattering the company you are with (fans) is always a plus for public relations.

Personally, I didn't boo him when I was at game 1. I utilized the golden rule, if he doesn't care about me (a fan) then I don't care about him. But I fully support those who felt compelled to boo. And if people bring up his contract...then I don't know how to respond. I know more about contracts and cap management than anyone on this board and I don't find that to be a reason to boo so I don't know why people assume that is why fans boo. Assuming fans boo because of the contract says more about you (not literally @NJHAWK but the royal you) than it does about the fans.

This right here. I personally wouldn't boo him. But he didn't care if he was here or somewhere else, didn't care if the fans showed up, didn't care about any team concept, clocked in, clocked out, caused our ownership to sue each other, handcuffed this organization from making any beneficial moves to improve. the antithesis of what I love and what is awesome about this current Hawks team. You can say "he didn't write the contract", that's horseshite. How many awesome players have taken a sub-market contract so as to not handicap the team for upgrade/improvement. He's booed by this fanbase because he's the face of everything that was WRONG before it was righted. The first step being shipping his nonchalant I-could-care-less ISO dribble the ball into the concrete underneath Phillips hardwood a$$ out of town. Keep showing up crowd, keep up the enthusiasm, boo whoever the hell you want. and GTFOH with all this Joe talk. This is the Hawks moment, not Joe's. Let all the boo talk go. Let. It. Go.....  

• Like 4

Most importantly dont forget that without the long drug out dramas with his Phoenix trade and his eventual trade to the NYETS this team would not nearly be in as good of shape as they are.Although there was alot of time and pain involved.

Do yall think he cries alone at night? He's so emotionally reserved, I wouldn't be surprised if he does. But then he wipes his tears with a few hundreds and he good.

I went to the game at the last minute, glad I got a chance to get my boos in. I hate him a little more, he clearly is playing harder for the Nets than he did us. Half of those post ups he's constantly backing DeMarre down with would be shakes and fade-always from 19 feet in a Hawks uni. I guess we should've front loaded his contract. F&@k that guy.

This current group played through the awful crowds and now bear the fruits of their labor when Phillips goes ham. It was a cyclical thing with Joe: they don't cheer hard for me, I won't play hard or show emotion, the fans see this, don't show up, allow opposing fans to buy up tickets and root for their bandwagon "star" because Joe isn't one, he feels slighted, so on and on. He's just such a bad symbol, man. He and Josh.

I could never feel pity or indebted to him like he did more for the Hawks (Rick Sund and ASG) than they did for him. They allowed him to take home a bigger game check than LeBron F&@king James for God's Sakes with virtually none of the megastar hassle and constant criticism. He's allowed no complaints forever.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1