Should we really be booing a Joe in this series like a villain

NJHAWK

Joe insulted the fans. They're going to boo him.

Everyone whines when other teams fans were filling Philips. Now that it's filled with Hawks fans having fun, they're doing it wrong? Get over yourselves.

Edited by Duff_Man
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Keep in mind these are the same people who shout "A T L" as if no one knows the team plays in and is named for the city of Atlanta..

Just a bunch of bandwagoners.   

When's the last time some of you have been to a game? It seems like some of you should spend more time supporting the team and less time questioning the fans who do.

The notion that fans are bandwagoners if they participate in a chant you don't like is incredibly off base. The 6th man section usually starts the ATL chant and thats the most dedicated fans you will find. We are all bandwagoners if they are.

• Like 1

• Moderators

When's the last time some of you have been to a game? It seems like some of you should spend more time supporting the team and less time questioning the fans who do.

The notion that fans are bandwagoners if they participate in a chant you don't like is incredibly off base. The 6th man section usually starts the ATL chant and thats the most dedicated fans you will find. We are all bandwagoners if they are.

If it doesn't work out, we can just go with "OKC! OKC! OKC!"

~lw3

• Premium Member

If I had my way all those people would be banished for life.  Most of those people are from Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida anyway.    

Do you realize he crapped all over the fans? Or are you a clueless fan? Or someone who doesn't realize he is on the other team?

Do you realize that he played for 2 more years for the Hawks, after he made that comment? All JJ did here was be a true professional on and off the court while in Atlanta.

I hope this year's squad far exceeds anything that has ever been done in the playoffs, since the Hawks have been in Atlanta.

But I guess the fans forget that the Hawks beat Orlando the following postseason, and pushed a heavily favored Chicago team to 6 games.

While I think the booing is silly, I'm not going to get all up in arms about the booing. He's not a Hawk anymore, and he stands in the way of us winning a title. But if they want to boo, let's start a tradition of booing EVERY opposing teams best player.

Hawks fans booing JJ like he's a villian, would be like Braves fans booing Tim Hudson.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I really didn't plan on booing him when I arrived at Philips today. I knew he would be booed, and I had decided not to do it to him. Was he overpaid by us? Certainly, but who wouldn't take that money. Did he never take us very far in the playoffs? Yes, he never did. But he did his best, he just wasn't good enough.

Then I got to Philips and was completely engulfed in the atmosphere and booed him every time he touched the ball. It's really as DJ says, it's not personal. Just business.

I can easily see this playing out for a lot of people.  It is fun for the crowd to get active and riled up about something.

• Premium Member

While I think the booing is silly, I'm not going to get all up in arms about the booing. He's not a Hawk anymore, and he stands in the way of us winning a title. But if they want to boo, let's start a tradition of booing EVERY opposing teams best player.

Agreed.  Joe is the enemy and I don't take issue with booing any opposing player.   Typically though (as in the only time I've ever seen it), a player is singled out for something personal.  Something like Ron Artest returning to the Palace, LeBron in Cleveland...or Bibby when he made those comments about Boston fans being bandwagoners.  JJ only did what was asked of him here and he's the kind of dude that really doesn't have anything to say about anything.  This focusing on JJ is just silly.

I also don't understand how some people still blame him for the isolation offense or really our playoff failures in general.  For one, Mike Woodson was the problem.  Secondly, hasn't the biggest merry-go-round over the past 2-3 years been about how this is a "team" game?  Why did we not lose as a team when reflecting on the JJ era?  Why is it now one player's fault?

...and if it is one player's fault, HOW can that player be anybody but Josh Smith?  Who should be booed along with all of his descendants for the next 537 years.

• Like 1

He was a solid all star for us. He never did anything off the court to embarrass the team. He may not have been a leader but he bought the lunchpale every day and went to work.  There was a little sour grapes with the fans in that plyoff series a few years back but nothing recent and certainly nothing to still be crying about.As far as I know he hasnt come out and antagonized the the situation at all so what gives? Hes just Joe, lol.

Yes, boo the hell out of him. 

Big surprise here, but Joe doesn't seem to care......

Even Johnson acknowledged the booing was loud.

"Yeah, it is," said Johnson, who still owns a home in the Atlanta area. "It’s OK, though. It doesn’t bother me, man. I don’t let it bother me. I block it out. Obviously I could hear it. I just play through it."

I hate to echo Joe but it doesn't bother me as a Hawks fan either.  I'm not going to boo him but if people want to go for it then have at it.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/basketball/despite-his-history-johnson-hears-boos-1.1314564

Edited by AUhawksfan
  • Like 1

Luckily the Nets home crowd is awful. I hope we can get our blowout mojo going up there for once in a long time. I'm pretty sure we forced some boos in there earlier this year, I know we got some "oohs" and "aahs" from them and the Knicks crowd. Nets fans are indifferent to him for the most part anyway.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Luckily the Nets home crowd is awful. I hope we can get our blowout mojo going up there for once in a long time. I'm pretty sure we forced some boos in there earlier this year, I know we got some "oohs" and "aahs" from them and the Knicks crowd. Nets fans are indifferent to him for the most part anyway.

Not during the playoffs. Their crowd is quite good during playoff time.

Keep in mind these are the same people who shout "A T L" as if no one knows the team plays in and is named for the city of Atlanta..

Just a bunch of bandwagoners.   

What are you talking about? The ATL chant has been going on for at least the last two years. Harry leads the crowd consistently in the chant coming out of a timeout in the fourth quarter. The Hawks organization wants fans to chant ATL. Are they bandwagon fans? Is Harry the Hawk a bandwagon fan? When is the last time you were at a game?

• Like 2

We are derided by the national media as being fair-weather fans, who create little to no atmosphere at games, and now that the fan base is energized and creating noise- you want to criticize them for that?  I just don't get it.  I booed game one, and if the series returns to Atlanta (which hopefully it doesn't) I'll boo then too- if for no other reason than it is just a freakin blast to do.

• Like 1