• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Draft Grade

gopack10

I love/hate reading draft grades.  I didn't like the Hawks draft per se but I didn't hate it either.  The second round wasn't as exciting as I wanted it to be because we just drafted foreign guys but I ended up liking our first round trade/pick.  Anyhoo, below are some of the draft grades from some sites I follow.

nbadraft.net = B-

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015-nba-draft-grades

WelcomeToTheBigs = B-

http://welcometothebigs.net/2015/06/27/atlanta-hawks-draft-grade/

Bleacher Report = D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2506389-2015-nba-draft-grades-full-team-by-team-report-cards

What did you guys think?

If you believe, because of his track record, that Bud knows what he's doing

then we just gotta believe we did fine.

Some say that Tim H, Jr. cost us too much.  They could have got him much cheaper.

Now. if he believes that Bud got a steal when he traded for him, that's great.

Let me share a story to illustrate my point:

In this culture, wives could be bought with ponies.  The more desirable the wife was

the more ponies she cost.  Some especially great ones cost three ponies.

This young man approached the girl's father.  The girl was just a plain looking girl

nothing special.  People gathered around, talking quietly.  Would he go as high as

two ponies?  Probably not.  One pony was more than enough.

"Sir, I wish to marry your young, beautiful and talented daughter" said the young man.

"And, do you have ponies so that we may complete this deal?" ask the father.

"Yes sir.  I will give you ten of my finest ponies for your daughter.  She is worth

at least that much, don't you think."

Now, since the bride and all the friends and neighbors heard this astounding offer

what kind of a wife did the young man get?  One of the sweetest, most talented and

beautiful women anyone in the tribe had ever seen.

Under the proper coaching, which he will now have, what kind of player will the

Hawks have?  We have watched as other players have become much better here

than they were before.  Can we expect any less form Tim?

GO ATLANTA !!

• Like 1

mule, I'm sure that some people would find that story offensive, but that really is the crux of the argument.  does he have value that we can't perceive from our perspective?

personally, i'd rather take someone that has some proven value in the nba than bet on potential.

• Like 1

Honestly, I will take the wait and see approach with regards to THJ.  I wasn't in love with the Carroll signing a few years ago but it has turned out to be one of the better ones in Hawks' history.

I think THJ will be a much better and much more efficient player in this offense than he was on that train wreck of a Knicks team.

• Like 1

mule, I'm sure that some people would find that story offensive, but that really is the crux of the argument.  does he have value that we can't perceive from our perspective?

personally, i'd rather take someone that has some proven value in the nba than bet on potential.

I'm offended that your offended.............moving on...

Tim Hardaway Jr. has more proven more in the NBA then anyone else at pick 19 or below. We are guaranteed he is not a complete bust. He was just on the 1st team All Rookie squad. To me we got the best of both worlds. We removed the risk of drafting a complete bust and still got a player who can score in double digits, on a cheap salary, while still having plenty of potential to improve.

Edited by coachx

I'm offended that your offended.............moving on...

Tim Hardaway Jr. has more proven more in the NBA then anyone else at pick 19 or below. We are guaranteed he is not a complete bust. He was just on the 1st team All Rookie squad. To me we got the best of both worlds. We removed the risk of drafting a complete bust and still got a player who can score in double digits, on a cheap salary, while still having plenty of potential to improve.

I wasn't offended, but started to think about it and thought about how valuing women in terms of animals was a bit offensive to women, then started thinking about how basketball players would be offended if they heard they were being valued by number of goats/donkeys.  Then I wondered if it was offensive to put a price tag on a human being.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I wasn't offended, but started to think about it and thought about how valuing women in terms of animals was a bit offensive to women, then started thinking about how basketball players would be offended if they heard they were being valued by number of goats/donkeys. Then I wondered if it was offensive to put a price tag on a human being.

To the contrary. The pint of the story was that by showing the player how much you value them you will get better play. It is why we should have traded multiple first round picks for THJ so he would say, "ooh, look how much they value me -- now I'll play extra well."