Joe Johnson Potential Buyout

gopack10

Just read this piece from Soaring Down South on Joe Johnson potentially coming back to Atlanta if he's bought out from the Nets.

I think it would be a good move for the Hawks as we need that depth but I doubt we could pry him away from Cleveland and OKC.

Thoughts?

http://soaringdownsouth.com/2016/01/08/if-bought-out-should-hawks-pursue-joe-johnson/

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If he comes cheap, then why not? He's having a rough year by his standards, but he would fit in a lot better here vs.  Brooklyn  since he will get plenty of open looks. We could move Baze to SG where he belongs AND move Korver to the bench(until he's 100%) where he belongs. 

• Like 1

Why would Joe be bought out?

Brooklyn and Joe would need to agree to a buyout where Joe forks over around $1.7m in order for Brooklyn to get under the Luxury Tax. Is Joe going to give up $1.7m in order to sign with a contender? He won't get that money back from Cleveland or OKC since they're already over the LT and it costs them a whole heckuva lot more than $1.7m to sign Joe to a deal at $1.7m. Maybe he can make that up from Atlanta with the Room MLE?

But I don't see why Brooklyn goes to attempt a buyout of Joe to get under the LT when they could shift around Karasev, Larkin, Ellington to get under. But that assumes that Brooklyn wants to get under the Luxury Tax, which may not even be the case.

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, hawkman said:

If he comes cheap, then why not? He's having a rough year by his standards, but he would fit in a lot better here vs.  Brooklyn  since he will get plenty of open looks. We could move Baze to SG where he belongs AND move Korver to the bench(until he's 100%) where he belongs. 

He's having a rough year by ANYONES standards.

• Like 4

Joe has been rumored to be on the move for a while now through a buyout or via trade, with buyout being the most likely scenario.  And that $1.7M he would have to give up would be more than worth it for him to sign with a contender.  For a guy who has made over $160M in his career, a shot a winning a title would be worth the money he'd give up.  Especially since he will get some of it back with whatever team he signs with so it wouldn't even be a full $1.7M lost.  Not to mention the playoff share that would come with being on a playoff team.

He would come cheap to any team that picked him up so there are no worries there and what he would provide to this team is definitely worth the risk.  No question about that.

But playing with Lebron might be too much to ignore.

• Like 1

• Moderators

He's been wanting to play with Lebron for a while.   Also maybe Miami

This is from 2009 with pending free agency for all of them.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5224873

Dwyane Wade has a big decision to make on where he'll sign this offseason. And before he makes his choice, he said he'll talk it over with fellow big-ticket free agents LeBron James and Joe Johnson.

Wade told the Chicago Tribune that he's not sure when the three players will talk, but they've been discussing their futures informally for a while now.

"[Free agency] has been three years coming," the Miami Heat superstar told the Tribune. "We've discussed it prematurely, at different times. [But] you don't know what guys are thinking and where they're going. I think we'll all sit down, and before one of us makes a decision, all of us will have spoken to each other and [listened to the] thinking.

"A lot of decisions [will be based on] what other players are willing to do and what other guys want to do. So it's not just a 'me' situation here. We all have to look and see what each other is thinking."

A source told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that the Toronto Raptors' Chris Bosh also will join Wade, James and Johnson when they discuss free agency.

"Bosh will definitely be there," a source said.

12 minutes ago, gopack10 said:

Joe has been rumored to be on the move for a while now through a buyout or via trade, with buyout being the most likely scenario.  And that $1.7M he would have to give up would be more than worth it for him to sign with a contender.  For a guy who has made over $160M in his career, a shot a winning a title would be worth the money he'd give up.  Especially since he will get some of it back with whatever team he signs with so it wouldn't even be a full $1.7M lost.  Not to mention the playoff share that would come with being on a playoff team.

He would come cheap to any team that picked him up so there are no worries there and what he would provide to this team is definitely worth the risk.  No question about that.

But playing with Lebron might be too much to ignore.

Seems like a flawed premise to say that Joe prefers winning to money, but I won't harp on that because that is neither here nor there.

I don't see how this has any legs for the reasons I have already given. I prefer my assessment of the team salary of Brooklyn over Mitch Lawrence's guess that the Nets are looking to buyout Joe based on .... Billy King conceding they won't make the playoffs?

Huh, correction on my part. Brooklyn is already below the Luxury Tax. For some reason, I calculated it to be $81.4m but it's $84.7m.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/brooklyn-nets-team-salary/

I still don't see why Brooklyn would buyout Joe. They wouldn't get any LT savings (or avoid the repeater tax since they are below LT) and Prokhorov doesn't seem like a penny-pincher. Joe would have to approach them to be released or bought-out. That would require Joe to speak up to someone.

I'm laughing at Joe giving up money in a buyout because during his last free agency he said a big part of him not signing with the Knicks or even asking for a sign and trade was because their brass informed him he'd need to spend money on an apartment close to their practice facility in addition to buying a new home and he was like "naw, mayne."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

Huh, correction on my part. Brooklyn is already below the Luxury Tax. For some reason, I calculated it to be $81.4m but it's $84.7m.

I still don't see why Brooklyn would buyout Joe. They wouldn't get any LT savings (or avoid the repeater tax since they are below LT) and Prokhorov doesn't seem like a penny-pincher. Joe would have to approach them to be released or bought-out. That would require Joe to speak up to someone.

Oh, I don't know.  Maybe to save money as we both agree they would regardless of LT savings.  Or to allow their young guys to play since they aren't going to make the playoffs.  Or to make sure they are as close to the top of the second round as possible if they continue to lose games, and losing JJ would definitely ensure that.

Long and short of it is that he provides zero to that franchise at this point.  As soon as Jarrett Jack went down it was the end of their faint glimmer of hope to make the playoffs.  Saving money, allowing rookie development, specifically Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (when he returns), and improving draft position in the second round (since they don't have a first rounder) all seem like wins to me.  Thus, a buyout would be beneficial to the Nets if they decide to go that way.

I honestly don't know why it amazes you that they are rumored to potentially buy him out if they can't move him.  It happens all the time.  And in this case, whether you are in love with the benefit to buying him out or not, it is a positive for the Nets franchise.

And plenty of players will accept buyouts to try and win a title so I'm not sure why that is so far-fetched for you to believe.  The money he'd be giving up, when considering what he would stand to gain, is minimal when it is all said and done.  Ask Charles Barkley or Dan Marino if they would have given back a little money when they played for a Title.

Brooklyn tryna save a cool $1m that Joe apparently will give up because ....... I'm sorry do you know who Joe Johnson is?

That's also the first time I've ever heard someone suggest tanking for a second round pick. I should have stayed away from this thread.

I sincerely doubt that the Nets would find having a high 2nd rounder a fine consolation prize for willfully giving the Celtics the potential top pick in the draft.  Team's tend to be very stubborn in that regard and therefore will do anything in their power to lessen the chances of that horror. 

Regardless, if the Clippers finish the season outside of the top 5 best records in the league (they are currently 6th in win percentage) they also own swap rights to BK's 2016 2nd rounder sooooooo.........uhm........yea....that's ugly. 

So in conclusion, there's very little incentive for the Nets to buyout Joe unless he agrees to a massive buyout (say he leaves 23 million on the table like Deron did, L  O  L) because they have beyond zero incentive to tank this season unless they enjoy the sight of top picks wearing other teams' jerseys.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hawksfanatic said:

Best argument against it!

Knicks fans: Time to blame New York City for being the reason the team missed on a free agent.

Nets guard Joe Johnson spoke to the Post's Fred Kerber recently and said he was "almost" a member of the Knicks. But there was a very specific reason why he decided to sign with the Atlanta Hawks in 2010:

"Obviously there was the money difference, but they said, ‘You needed a place in Westchester and you needed a place in the city.’ They said you would roughly spend like $5 million.

"I was like, ‘aw, no,’ as opposed to being in Atlanta where I was already established with a solid team that was getting better every year. And I didn’t have to buy nothing or make any changes, and we had the arena and the practice facility in one place. It took me roughly 20 minutes with traffic to get there. Oh no. So then I never even imagined being in New York."

A reminder: Johnson signed a six-year, $119 million contract with the Hawks, so he probably could have afforded to spare $5M on real estate if he'd signed with the Knicks. Normally, the draw of winning in New York is what brings free agents to the Knicks. Not that time, apparently

http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2014/11/brooklyn_nets_joe_johnson_didnt_sign_with_knicks_because_hed_need_two_houses.html

28 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

Brooklyn tryna save a cool $1m that Joe apparently will give up because ....... I'm sorry do you know who Joe Johnson is?

That's also the first time I've ever heard someone suggest tanking for a second round pick. I should have stayed away from this thread.

At no point did I use the word tanking.  I'm simply stating positives for buying him out, since you didn't seem to have any.  But keep ignoring any other point I made while trying to twist my words around to make yourself sound better.

I'm still waiting to hear how it would be a positive for the Nets to keep him.  Give me one and you argument would have some validity because from where I'm sitting, the Nets keeping him gives them absolutely zero, where as buying him out saves them money, allows for young player development/minutes and gives them higher draft picks, albeit a second rounder.

And JJ's comments from five years ago about money don't hold water now.  He's over $100M richer now and is older/wiser.  So just stop with that nonesense as we all know players chase Championships when they are older and take less money to do so.  David West anyone?

28 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

BI sincerely doubt that the Nets would find having a high 2nd rounder a fine consolation prize for willfully giving the Celtics the potential top pick in the draft.  Team's tend to be very stubborn in that regard and therefore will do anything in their power to lessen the chances of that horror. 

Regardless, if the Clippers finish the season outside of the top 5 best records in the league (they are currently 6th in win percentage) they also own swap rights to BK's 2016 2nd rounder sooooooo.........uhm........yea....that's ugly. 

So in conclusion, there's very little incentive for the Nets to buyout Joe unless he agrees to a massive buyout (say he leaves 23 million on the table like Deron did, L  O  L) because they have beyond zero incentive to tank this season unless they enjoy the sight of top picks wearing other teams' jerseys.

But there is ZERO incentive to keeping him.  A little incentive outweighs zero incentive and I think you all are undervaluing the positives as it is.

1 hour ago, gopack10 said:

Or to make sure they are as close to the top of the second round as possible if they continue to lose games, and losing JJ would definitely ensure that.

This is the definition of tanking, buddy. Whether or not you say "tank" is irrelevant.

I don't think I'm going to continue looking at this thread anymore. It's faulty and I'd rather not spend time to dispel bullshit.