• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson Potential Buyout

gopack10

1 hour ago, gopack10 said:

But there is ZERO incentive to keeping him.  A little incentive outweighs zero incentive and I think you all are undervaluing the positives as it is.

Did you pay attention to what I wrote?  I mean, like you bolded one part of the sentence but like there was like a whole other part that explained the first part in detail but like lets try again..

*ahem*

The Nets are not in control of any of their draft picks.  Their incentive is to put the best possible roster that they can on the floor as winning even just 20 games is seen as far more preferable than winning only 18 games as that helps to ensure that the picks that they give up will be less valuable.   

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I'm laughing at Joe giving up money in a buyout because during his last free agency he said a big part of him not signing with the Knicks or even asking for a sign and trade was because their brass informed him he'd need to spend money on an apartment close to their practice facility in addition to buying a new home and he was like "naw, mayne."

Is this real?

EDIT: Just saw the post from HawksFanatic   WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Was there incentive to let go of Deron? I'm asking. I didn't follow it closely, so I don't know, and I figure one of youseguys can answer.

Well he wanted out bad enough that he left $18 mil of his remaining $43 million on the table to get it.  That deal actually saved the Nets over 40 million once you include lux tax which, you know, is a much larger incentive than saving ~1.5 mil on a Joe buyout as we've established that it's highly unlikely that Joe would leave much more or even that amount on the table just to go ring chase.

That and he had to be restrained from coming to blows with Hollins after a private meeting during last season and was even contemplating retirement over his situation.  So yea, huge monetary savings and avoiding a cancerous locker room are much bigger incentives than anything mentioned here.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I Don't Care about What Brooklyn has to do or what Joe has to do.   Here's where I see it.

It's Lebron or Miami vs. Us for Joe. 

In Cleveland, Joe would Replace JR Smith/Shumpert as the Starting SG or he would backup Lebron.

In Miami, he would replace Luol Deng.

Here, we would probably put him in as starting SF and bring Korver off the bench.

Which Situation would be more fruitful to Joe?  Would he want to be Lebron's BU?  Would he want to play with Old men in Miami?  Or would he want to play in a system that gives him open looks but no more isoJoe?

We could definitely use his size... but does he still have it?

• Premium Member

I'm biased because there is something romantic about the whole idea of the former franchise icon returning to occupy a viable role, though not the central one that he once did, in Atlanta's (the city, not the franchise, of course) ascension to its first Finals berth. The narrative is a beautiful one to think about. I'd love to see him return and with that result. In our heart of hearts, I think we all would.

Are there reasons he probably won't?

Plenty.

Are there reasons he might?

Some. Not a lot. But some.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Did you pay attention to what I wrote?  I mean, like you bolded one part of the sentence but like there was like a whole other part that explained the first part in detail but like lets try again..

*ahem*

The Nets are not in control of any of their draft picks.  Their incentive is to put the best possible roster that they can on the floor as winning even just 20 games is seen as far more preferable than winning only 18 games as that helps to ensure that the picks that they give up will be less valuable.   

My comment still holds water.  And if you think the Nets care about what happens to a pick that isn't theirs to begin with then you are crazy.  Boston getting a #2 vs. #3 pick means nothing to them in the grand scheme of things because no one is going to catch Philly for that #1 spot (and yes I know that this all hinges on lottery balls).  Especially if it means hindering the development of their own young players.

And I'm not the one ignoring parts of posts.  You and your buddy seem to ignore any reference I make to the money savings, regardless of how much as well as the young player development.  Giving RHJ the 30 minutes a night that Joe would eat would be huge for his development.

For some reason you are stuck on simply the draft picks.  I get that they don't have a first rounder but they could still have their second rounder based on what the Clippers do so the higher the better for them.  Not to mention they could use that pick to jump back into the first round with a team that doesn't want the guaranteed salary associated with that first rounder.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm biased because there is something romantic about the whole idea of the former franchise icon returning to occupy a viable role, though not the central one that he once did, in Atlanta's (the city, not the franchise, of course) ascension to its first Finals berth. The narrative is a beautiful one to think about. I'd love to see him return and with that result. In our heart of hearts, I think we all would.

Are there reasons he probably won't?

Plenty.

Are there reasons he might?

Some. Not a lot. But some.

It like the Mighty Ducks or Bad New Bears Part 2...  Never saw either one of those Movies... Or maybe it's like Major League 3.   When  Wild Thing Rick Vaughn came off the bench for one more moment in the sun...  That's Joe...  Instead of Wild thing.. maybe COOL JOE!!  Somebody Cue up the music.

77803750-be41-11e3-b7e1-ff943b203f99_vauHWK_02_RosterPic_1011.jpg

5 hours ago, gopack10 said:

My comment still holds water.  And if you think the Nets care about what happens to a pick that isn't theirs to begin with then you are crazy.  Boston getting a #2 vs. #3 pick means nothing to them in the grand scheme of things because no one is going to catch Philly for that #1 spot (and yes I know that this all hinges on lottery balls).  Especially if it means hindering the development of their own young players.

And I'm not the one ignoring parts of posts.  You and your buddy seem to ignore any reference I make to the money savings, regardless of how much as well as the young player development.  Giving RHJ the 30 minutes a night that Joe would eat would be huge for his development.

For some reason you are stuck on simply the draft picks.  I get that they don't have a first rounder but they could still have their second rounder based on what the Clippers do so the higher the better for them.  Not to mention they could use that pick to jump back into the first round with a team that doesn't want the guaranteed salary associated with that first rounder.

1. The Nets do care about where the Boston pick falls.  I read a blurb that they don't wanna roll over and hand the pick to Boston, they are still trying to win as many games as possible.

2. RHJ is out injured to he can't get Joe's minutes

3. There is really no  incentive for Brooklyn to buy out Joe unless he's leaving substantial money on the table for them.  I'm sure their first preference would be to trade him even if it's for peanuts to get something.

• Premium Member

Well, while it's not likely any of this is going down, let's do see the whole of the picture, though.

Joe can take a buy-out that saves Brooklyn an amount equal up to the Room exception, anticipating that a team would give him that much in new salary that would make up for it--Brooklyn saves about 10%, Joe get all of his money, and moreover, Joe gets to link up with a contender.

Is it worth it to the Nets? Certainly, they don't want to give another EC rival a higher first round pick than they have to. Then again, how much is Joe's presence actually going to matter to where they finish? And is there another younger SG out there who could be acquired--maybe D-league, or maybe they swing a Lopez trade. They know this much--Joe is not in their future, regardless.

On 1/8/2016 at 0:05 PM, hawksfanatic said:

Why would Joe be bought out?

Brooklyn and Joe would need to agree to a buyout where Joe forks over around $1.7m in order for Brooklyn to get under the Luxury Tax. Is Joe going to give up $1.7m in order to sign with a contender? He won't get that money back from Cleveland or OKC since they're already over the LT and it costs them a whole heckuva lot more than $1.7m to sign Joe to a deal at $1.7m. Maybe he can make that up from Atlanta with the Room MLE?

But I don't see why Brooklyn goes to attempt a buyout of Joe to get under the LT when they could shift around Karasev, Larkin, Ellington to get under. But that assumes that Brooklyn wants to get under the Luxury Tax, which may not even be the case.

I don't see why they'd buy him out. He's probably their best option at SF, keeps them competitive. Last thing they want to do is really help Boston get the #1 pick.

I know CLE is willing to pay it, after outbidding themselves for Thompson. 

• Premium Member

Unless I'm missing something, the most that Joe can get from CLE is about $750,000 at this point. That is, they can only give him the vet minimum, and at that, Coon says minimum salary contracts are different from all other contracts in that they're pro-rated depending on when they're signed during the season. We're approaching the halfway point, and the most a 10+ year player can get is $1,500,000 at the beginning of the season.

We can pay $2.8 m.

I know that doesn't convince anyone, and I'm not sure it should, but it's just good to have the facts where there are facts to be had.

• Like 1

So this just happened:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14541429/brooklyn-nets-fire-coach-lionel-hollins-reassign-gm-billy-king

if you ask me....there honestly may be a buyout coming for joe Johnson. The nets are throwing in the towel looks like and Bud may really need to keep watch on what goes on with their players.

Edited by JTB

2 hours ago, JTB said:

So this just happened:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14541429/brooklyn-nets-fire-coach-lionel-hollins-reassign-gm-billy-king

if you ask me....there honestly may be a buyout coming for joe Johnson. The nets are throwing in the towel looks like and Bud may really need to keep watch on what goes on with their players.

The only thing we can use from them is Bogdanovic.  Bud could supercharge his game into a poor-man's Ginobili by the time he's 28.  

Thad Young has always intrigued people.  Those same people know he'll never give consistent effort.  

I've never seen Hollis-Jefferson play but 6 boards and .481 shooting from a rookie combo wing ain't bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

The only thing we can use from them is Bogdanovic.  Bud could supercharge his game into a poor-man's Ginobili by the time he's 28.  

Thad Young has always intrigued people.  Those same people know he'll never give consistent effort.  

I've never seen Hollis-Jefferson play but 6 boards and .481 shooting from a rookie combo wing ain't bad.

Hollis-Jefferson is a perfect player to go after! Trade Mack for him and we will have a pretty big wing. Now in college he wasn't a great shooter but his activity on defense was what he was all about as he reminded me of a bigger size toney Allen

• Premium Member

Said this in another thread moments ago, so pardon the repeat... but I see Joe as potentially occupying a similar role on our roster to what Paul Pierce did for Washington... and at that, maybe even fewer minutes. I think Joe can give us a veteran presence that isn't otherwise on our roster now that Brand is gone, and moreover, I think he can quite possibly still tap into his productive self when he's not "the" guy, but "a" guy, and not expected to pull anything like the weight he's been asked to pull in Brooklyn.

But, then, yeah... I revel in being among the optimists on the board. Sue me. :D

Marc Stein: All indications are the Nets’ Joe Johnson, contrary to recent suggestions, presently has no interest in seeking a buyout in Brooklyn. So … 

Marc Stein: So if JJ holds firm to that stance chances greatly increase he finishes season w/Nets, since $25M is hard to trade even as expiring contract 

– via Twitter ESPNSteinLine

Trade, Joe Johnson, Brooklyn Nets

Joe doesn't seem interested in giving up ANY money, lol.

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Marc Stein: All indications are the Nets’ Joe Johnson, contrary to recent suggestions, presently has no interest in seeking a buyout in Brooklyn. So … 

Marc Stein: So if JJ holds firm to that stance chances greatly increase he finishes season w/Nets, since $25M is hard to trade even as expiring contract 

– via Twitter ESPNSteinLine

Trade, Joe Johnson, Brooklyn Nets

Joe doesn't seem interested in giving up ANY money, lol.

Huh, it's almost like some understanding of the cap, knowing what Joe is like, and common sense allows you to sniff out the bullshit. Who'da thunk it?