• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson Potential Buyout

gopack10

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Stein refers to whom when he says "contrary to recent suggestions?"

Us?

I wasn't aware anyone else was speculating.

Regardless, no harm in speculating.

Did you read any of this thread at all?

• 1 month later...

Funny the thread picture on Tapatalk is of the Wild Thing when in fact Joe is at best the Mild Thing. If he were bought out I would bring him back in a nanosecond to plug in at SF and give us some much needed offense and defense from that spot in the playoffs. Thabo and BazeGod then become very valuable players off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

I might take a couple of nanoseconds. My thing is and has been throughout the season, we have no lock-down SF defender. Joe isn't that, obviously, either, but/and so I'd want to see some deal on the cheap that brings even just a young buck like Damien Inglis as well.

I might take a couple of nanoseconds. My thing is and has been throughout the season, we have no lock-down SF defender. Joe isn't that, obviously, either, but/and so I'd want to see some deal on the cheap that brings even just a young buck like Damien Inglis as well.

He's no lock down defender but he can certainly hold down the fort unlike anyone else we have there and he can D up for stretches when he puts his mind to it. Plus he's what 280? He's got 100 lbs on all of our other wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

I've been on the hunt for the genu-wine combo forward with a rep for good defense for awhile. Had been harboring a hope that Danny Granger might be overcoming his foot problem. He's old, but there's plenty of older. And his defensive numbers have been solid even as his offense tailed off those last 2-3 years.

Inglis, from what I've seen, is Granger sized, but with bigger thighs. But his lateral quickness and ability to close-out is pretty well regarded.

This was a thread built on a faulty premise. "Would you take Joe?" really isn't a question to address since, yaknow, he's not available or will be. I would be absolutely dumbfounded if Joe took less money because I'm a person that has paid attention to Joe Johnson since 2005. Dang, has it been that long?

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

Top pick in 2nd round in 2014 draft. Has the distinction of being one of the very few combo forwards drafted in the last 5 years who, by virtually all accounts, is a viable defender both on the wing and in the post. Inglis also brings decent handles and court vision that reminds of Boris Diaw. Obviously, though, hasn't yet developed to be deemed worthy of an NBA roster for any significant length of time. However, again, he's still only 23. I've liked him all this time, and think this is yet another juncture when I think he's a fit for us.

I do wonder if Joe Johnson would be willing, at this point in his career. to come to a team like the Hawks in a mentorship role, because that is something I would be interested in him doing if he was willing to be a mentor that plays limited minutes at this point in his career.  He knows what it takes to win, but he also knows what it is like to be in the building process.

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I do wonder if Joe Johnson would be willing, at this point in his career. to come to a team like the Hawks in a mentorship role, because that is something I would be interested in him doing if he was willing to be a mentor that plays limited minutes at this point in his career.  He knows what it takes to win, but he also knows what it is like to be in the building process.

I could imagine some value to that the next time we field a team intended to contend, Joe or otherwise... think everyone felt Elton Brand was a tremendous asset in that same sort of role not so very long ago.

And, just to be clear, I pulled up this thread because on more than one occasion Inglis is discussed, and it's the most recent actually of several if you run a search on his name in the HS archives. Age 23 is a good age to pick up someone who probably won't ever be starter material, but who certainly might be able to develop into the sort of player who fills a niche bench role in his prime years.

Honestly, I prefer this kind of pick-up to an Alex Len type pick-up at this stage in our evolution, just b/c Len is old enough and has played enough games that there's seemingly not much upside left to hope for.