Dwight Howard to Atlanta

gopack10

As I'm sure most of you realize by my posts, I read Soaring Down South and Peachtree Hoops a lot as they both offer different perspectives with some quality information.  SDS had this piece this morning as they analyze different "available" players at the moment.

I don't think they are suggesting that it will happen, just the possibility that it could and how it would affect the roster.

http://soaringdownsouth.com/2016/01/19/atlanta-hawks-trade-target-1-dwight-howard/

I think we can all agree that Horford at the 5 just isn't going to cut it for this team and with us giving Millsap the contract we just did, could Horford be expendable?  His numbers are down outside of his three point shooting and have been on decline for a few years now, not that he still isn't a very good player.  This would be an interesting scenario to say the least.

What do you guys think?

• Premium Member

Howard's not the player he once was obviously (except for Monday against the Clippers-whewlawd), but he would only have one more year on his deal if he opted in.  I wouldn't be mad considering what Al is gonna cost for the next five years.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Howard's not the player he once was obviously (except for Monday against the Clippers-whewlawd), but he would only have one more year on his deal if he opted in.  I wouldn't be mad considering what Al is gonna cost for the next five years.

Dwight's not opting in and then you have to turn around pay him more than Al for another 5 years as well.  Why is everyone assuming Al takes a 5 year max (yeah I know injuries) , why not a 2+1 like Millsap to take advantage of the supposed salary cap spike when the new TV deal kicks in?

I'd rather pay Al the max than Dwight because soon enough you would hear how unhappy D12 is in Atlanta.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dwight's not opting in and then you have to turn around pay him more than Al for another 5 years as well.  Why is everyone assuming Al takes a 5 year max (yeah I know injuries) , why not a 2+1 like Millsap to take advantage of the supposed salary cap spike when the new TV deal kicks in?

I'd rather pay Al the max than Dwight because soon enough you would hear how unhappy D12 is in Atlanta.

That's why I said IF he opted in, which I think the Hawks would want if they did that deal.  

Millsap is definitely betting on himself with the deal he took, but he was also coming off a great year and he's following it up with another.  You're right, we don't know that Al wouldn't take a similar deal, but considering his circumstances, I don't see him doing that.  Do you?

For what it's worth, I had to do a lot of driving on MLK day and I heard Rick Kamala from NBA TV/92.9 Game repeat his claim from several weeks ago that a well-positioned source told him that Howard to ATL was a done deal. It sounds like this is coming from Howard's camp - as Kamala specified he wasn't hearing it from the Hawks - but he said he was told by someone who would know that the Hawks likely won't re-sign Horford for the money he'll be seeking and Howard wants to come back to Atlanta, and Howard had been told it was a "done deal" that he was coming to the ATL at the trade deadline or in free agency this summer. Of course, I have no personal knowledge other than hearing Kamela on the radio, but apparently Kamala hasn't backed off on this. (There's a slight chance that this was an MLK replay of a previous recording, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about current stuff that happened over the weekend in the NFL, so I think Kamala repeated the claim from his source as recently as Monday.)

16 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

That's why I said IF he opted in, which I think the Hawks would want if they did that deal.  

Millsap is definitely betting on himself with the deal he took, but he was also coming off a great year and he's following it up with another.  You're right, we don't know that Al wouldn't take a similar deal, but considering his circumstances, I don't see him doing that.  Do you?

So he opts in for 1 year then he leaves the next for nothing? or we resign him at a max deal?   Those are the options....pass today, tomorrow and 5 years from now.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So he opts in for 1 year then he leaves the next for nothing? or we resign him at a max deal?   Those are the options....pass today, tomorrow and 5 years from now.

Another option is that we don't bring him in and lose Horford to a max deal this summer.  At least we get something out of this deal with that extra year of Howard, assuming he opts in which the article states would have to happen for this deal to get done.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, vdunkndunk said:

For what it's worth, I had to do a lot of driving on MLK day and I heard Rick Kamala from NBA TV/92.9 Game repeat his claim from several weeks ago that a well-positioned source told him that Howard to ATL was a done deal. It sounds like this is coming from Howard's camp - as Kamala specified he wasn't hearing it from the Hawks - but he said he was told by someone who would know that the Hawks likely won't re-sign Horford for the money he'll be seeking and Howard wants to come back to Atlanta, and Howard had been told it was a "done deal" that he was coming to the ATL at the trade deadline or in free agency this summer. Of course, I have no personal knowledge other than hearing Kamela on the radio, but apparently Kamala hasn't backed off on this. (There's a slight chance that this was an MLK replay of a previous recording, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about current stuff that happened over the weekend in the NFL, so I think Kamala repeated the claim from his source as recently as Monday.)

It wasn't a replay.  I heard it also.

Dwight gets brought up here more than anyone else.  Can we stop beating a dead horse here?

I also agree with the thread title - totally misleading and look at this dude's post history.  This is a classic bait thread so that you can read one of his articles on his site.

So who would the trade involve?

Howard, Sap, Sef, Blaze, Shredder would be fun viewing. And a hometown superstar the flashy ATL crowd has been starving for would fill up the seats and sell some jerseys. But how long until Dwight's injured? Whining? So forth?

This could be good. This could be bad. I'm going with a "no thank you".....