• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This worries me about Tim Hardaway Jr.

NBASupes

He said this at our press conference:

“The triangle is a tough offense to get used to,” Hardaway said. “You really have to be dedicated and mature to that end. We tried. We tried our best while we were there, but it’s a learning process. You learn and you get better each and every day. I think after a year, those guys will get used to it.”

Does he not realize 65% of our offensive sets are based off of the Triangle offense?

http://nypost.com/2015/06/29/tim-hardaway-i-wont-forget-phil-jacksons-diss/

Difference is their entire team was trying to learn it. Here he will have his teammates to lean on and I didn't know we were running any sort of the triangle.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

“The triangle is a tough offense to get used to,” Hardaway said. “You really have to be dedicated and mature to that end. We tried. We tried our best while we were there, but it’s a learning process. You learn and you get better each and every day. I think after a year, those guys will get used to it.”

Does he not realize 65% of our offensive sets are based off of the Triangle offense?

He will be ok. It takes at least two years for MOST people to get the triangle offense. Second, the Hawks run VARIATIONS of it. Its not their base set. The Hawks use a lot of Hammers, pin down screens, pick and rolls, etc.

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 2

While I'm not particularly excited about the THJr acquisition...he was probably just repeating stuff from coaches for the sake of the press conference. The Knicks offense reminded me of the line from "Apocalypse Now":

Colonel Kurtz: "You disapprove of my methods?"

Captain Willard: "I don't see any method...at all."

Difference is their entire team was trying to learn it. Here he will have his teammates to lean on and I didn't know we were running any sort of the triangle.

This!  It's a lot easier to learn an offense when every one around you can answer your questions vs every one asking the same questions.

• Like 4

Well if he ends up not getting our system then he won't be playing. Bud isn't incompetent. However if he does get it and plays to his potential I'm more excited about him than I would be with any rookie. I've always been a fan of THJ's upside which we have seen small glimpses of from time to time. If Bud and the staff can coach him to be he best he can be like they did with Demarre and Paul then I think we will get a better player than anyone we could have drafted.

• Like 2

Do you guys not realize that he has played for potentially the worst team in the nba his first 2 years. There were coaching changes and locker room turmoil not to mention his team captain is probably one of the biggest ball hogs in the game and there wasnt much other positive veteran leadership to learn from....he is now with a team thats been in the playoffs 8 straight years with experienced and unselfish players that know how to win in this league. Learning any kind of system in a losing culture is difficult and wouldnt nearly be as hard in our winning culture where players both know and believe in the system and there are players on the roster that are examples of how he could/should play. Itll be a lot easier for him to here in ATL and he should really flourish in to a Kyle/DeMarre esque contributor for us on offense. Bud will also iron out any kinks he has on defense. I wouldnt worry. He wont be a star but he will be just fine

• Like 2

"...Bud will also iron out any kinks he has on defense"

Agreed RD#8...and he is in the last year of his contract...which we all know is the "hustle on defense" year line%20dance.gif

Team Option till October like Dennis' contract!?

I don't think I was that thrilled with the Thabo and Bazemore signings (and there were even a fair amount of grumbles when Milsap and DMC were signed) so let's give him a chance.  Last thing we needed was another No. 1 draft pick sitting at the end of the bench, or getting a lot of frequent flyer miles between Atlanta and Ft. Wayne.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't think I was that thrilled with the Thabo and Bazemore signings (and there were even a fair amount of grumbles when Milsap and DMC were signed) so let's give him a chance.  Last thing we needed was another No. 1 draft pick sitting at the end of the bench, or getting a lot of frequent flyer miles between Atlanta and Ft. Wayne.

Unless he ultimately developed like Dennis and Jeffrey!

• Premium Member

I think the triangle that Phil Runs and the game that Bud plays are different.  For years, players have failed trying to learn that triangle.  Mashburn, Jason Kidd, and Jim Jackson failed at trying to implement that offense.   You sy 65% of our offense is the triangle.  I don't know about that.  My thought was that we ran a motion offense with lots of handoffs... like the Spurs and the Warriors.  We may have a few of the same principles but those are principles that can be true for any offense.

For instance, the ball movement and the pace is not something that you see in Phil's triangle.  Phil's triangle actually slows the pace down a lot and puts the ball in the hand of your 2 or 3 more than anybody else.   Yeah, they do handoffs and yeah, they have some similar spacing but I wouldn't say that the two offenses are that similar.  I think THJr will have a really easy time finding his place in our offense.  In fact, his ability to drive the ball will allow him to create new wrinkles ala Ginobili.

As I stated before, I'm going to wait until he performs on the court to cast judgment on this move. I was one of the first to rail bringing in DMC, Thabo, and Bazemore and stuck out swinging like B.J. Upton. Let's see what the coaching staff does with a guy with a whole lot to prove, knowing that he has a contract coming up sooner than later...

• Moderators

As I stated before, I'm going to wait until he performs on the court to cast judgment on this move. I was one of the first to rail bringing in DMC, Thabo, and Bazemore and stuck out swinging like B.J. Upton. Let's see what the coaching staff does with a guy with a whole lot to prove, knowing that he has a contract coming up sooner than later...

That is where I am trying to get my head to.  I do have more faith in Bud than I've had in any coach/GM we've had.