• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud wants "HIS GUYS" back

JTB

I stand and accept that I didn't believe in the plan last year.  I am the first to say that.. But I watched the plan work and became a believer.  I'm not saying that Hots is wrong for not believing last year. I say that every year, regardless of what successes we have he predicts gloom and doom.  I'm here to say that this past year was no fluke.  The clock has struck midnight and we still have a team capable of winning 60 and going back to  the ECF and winning that.

Saying the team will win 50-52 games is not really doom and gloom.

Doom and gloom would saying that they're sink to 8th seed or miss the playoffs.

No my friend.  We kicked the Cavs butt all season last year.  Funny how when we got injured going into the playoffs, especially the lose of our best defender Thabo.. that you and others can just ignore that.  Did you not see DMC gimpy on one knee trying to keep up with Lebron.  No Korver in games 3 and 4.  Sap whole playoff run was non-sap.  Come on ..even you should be able to see how injured we were and note that without the injuries, we would have put together a better playoffs altogether.  A playoffs befitting who we were thorughout the season.

They won regular season games... The playoffs are different. The Hawks ran through NJ and Washing during the regular season, but the series when to 6 games in both series.

Even Golden State scored 10 PPG less in the playoffs than they did in the regular season.

The Hawks have no depth, big men or post scoring. I mean, right now Moose is the only big man off the bench. And its a stretch to call him a big man.

• Moderators

So in other words, you think that we can't even match what we did last year?  And you cried so much on draft night because you thought that our help would come from some drafted rookie?

AHF, you're prototypical of the guy I have described.  The nonbeliever who believed that last year was coincidence.   You speak out of both sides of that conversation but in your heart, you don't believe that we're good enough to repeat what we did?  That's fine... because I know that you will enjoy eating the crow that coming your way for THJr and your thoughts about the short comings of this team.  I know you will enjoy eating it because as a fan, you just want to see the Hawks successful.  However, it's disappointing that you lack faith in what Bud has done.

Bud is making us better than we were while Not losing any of the weapons or identity that made us good in the first place.  The best games I watched us play last year were loses.  Our loss to Golden State and our Loss to Memphis. In both of those cases, those teams had to use every weapon they had to beat us and we never stopped coming back.  At the end of the Memphis game,I remember Tony Allen acting like they had just won the NBA title because they were able to beat the mighty Hawks.  It reminded me of when Jordan and the Bulls were playing and they dominated so that teams were happy  just to be able to stay close to them.  I haven't lost focus of how good our team was based on a sweep in the ECF.   We fielded a different team in the ECF.  However, if our players can get back healthy, we will win the ECF.  We're one of the best teams playing and as soon as you recognize it, the better you'll feel about our new GM/Pres.

I don't think you actually read what I wrote.

Let's assume DMC and Sap repeat what they did last year exactly.  

Last year Sap earned $9.5M and DMC earned 2.4M.  Let's assume the market values that performance at $16M and $12M respectively.

That means that we paid $11.9M last year to get $28M of performance.  This  year we will pay $28M to get that $28M of performance.

In the big picture, champions always have some guys who are significantly outperforming their salary.   It is what separates them from the pack.  Frequently, that is a superstar whose value is capped by the maximum salary.  Lebron on the free market might get $40M.  Instead, Miami paid him $19M at his highest.  That is a huge amount of extra value which makes it much easier for them to construct a contender roster because you are starting from a point where you are way ahead of the curve in terms of bang for your buck.

We will be more challenged going forward if we are staying with our core because we have had a number of guys outperforming their deals.  Arguably every single starter last season outperformed their deal.  DMC and Sap won't provide that kind of performance to pay leverage next season.  Horf will be up for a big raise the next year which will dilute his leverage, etc.

We are going to have to make smart decisions to win a championship and that will be a challenge for Bud to add to this core when the core will cost more every year.

That was my point.  The only thing I said about whether we can repeat last year's performance is that I still have optimism for next year because we were elite when healthy and I think there is value in continuity which we will have between our starters , some of our bench guys and Bud.

Not sure where you came up with the rest of that.

• Premium Member

Saying the team will win 50-52 games is not really doom and gloom.

Doom and gloom would saying that they're sink to 8th seed or miss the playoffs.

No the doom and gloom of your post was saying first or second round exit.   We just got back from the ECF.  We won our 2nd round series in 6 and we were injured at that point.  People say Wall was injured but I counted him in most of their games and he contributed strongly after the injury.  We took the best that Washington could give and we beat them in 6.   As I look around the East right now, I see Miami and Milwaukee getting better.  I see Chicago maybe remaining the same.  I see Washington with Pierce.. maybe falling back and Toronto probably falling back as well.   What team is going to knock us out in the first or second round? The Nets?  The Hornets? 

Come on.  The Gloom and Doom is your acceptance of something that is not based on reality but based on just being a doubter in the Hawks.

• Premium Member

They won regular season games... The playoffs are different. The Hawks ran through NJ and Washing during the regular season, but the series when to 6 games in both series.

Even Golden State scored 10 PPG less in the playoffs than they did in the regular season.

The Hawks have no depth, big men or post scoring. I mean, right now Moose is the only big man off the bench. And its a stretch to call him a big man.

Pop quiz...

Who were the top teams in the Regular season  in the East?

Who were the two teams that met in the ECF?

Answer to both:  Hawks and the Cavs.

Who were the top teams in the Regular season  in the West?

Who were the two teams that met in the WCF?

Answer to both:  Warriors and the Rockets.

The playoffs are more focused than the regular season, however, the outcomes show that the regular season is a pretty good predictor of who the best teams in the conference are.

Sure, there are times when you have upsets.. but that is because Basketball is based on Matchups.

• Like 1

We lose games. There's no other answer to that if we bring back Sap and lose him to injury.

That answer would be the same for any team that loses its All-Star power forward to injury. Some may make due better than others but at the end of the day, they'll have their share of L's...

• Like 2

• Premium Member

That answer would be the same for any team that loses its All-Star power forward to injury. Some may make due better than others but at the end of the day, they'll have their share of L's...

Not necessarily...Houston lost D Howard for how long?  Duncan gets a lot of rest during the season.  Cavs lost love.  Bulls lost Noah, Gibson for multiple games  Memphis lost Randolph, Clippers lost Griffin etc

Edited by Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Didn't mean to post it twice. All I know is that if the Spurs can sign both LMA and Leonard we can figure it out. Why do cap rules only apply to us?

They own Leonard's Bird rights we don't own anyone's bird rights.  Only early bird rights

• Premium Member

Cleveland will be over the cap also even losing Love. Some how teams that want to add talent find creative ways. Teams like the Hawks do just enough to keep competitive.

Sap and Carrol's contracts killed us this year.  They signed 2 year deal therefore we don't own their bird rights