• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tiago Splitter traded to hawks

GrimeyKidd

Atlanta taking Splitter enables the Spurs to have enough cap space to go get Aldridge. Atlanta pretty much did the Spurs a favor. 

The Hawks aren't getting to the finals anyway and LMA is not coming here. He didn't even interview with the Hawks as far as we know.

I'd rather the Spurs get him than the Lakers.

• Moderators

Splitter is another value contract

AHF should be happy

My reaction is going to depend on what the details of the trade are.  Hopefully, we are treating this like a FA signing and exchanging second round picks or something.  We better not be giving up anything of value.

All things being equal big player > smaller player

We needed some bigs and this guy is better than anything we ran out there last year. Playing Horford and this guy together will make the Hawks look like a professional basketball team for the first time in several years.

Edited by gsuteke

• Premium Member

San Antonio needed to trade Tiago for capspace.  They didn't get anything back unless it was Muscala's unguaranteed contract.

We will need another C if the plan is to move Horf to PF.

• Like 1

We didn't give up any players. Probably just a couple 2nd rounders at most. GREAT deal. We need to resign Milsap and sign and 3 and D SF. Team will be much improved with Tiago and THJ. Tiago is exactly what we needed in the playoffs and knows the system.

• Like 2

Good move for the Hawks. Ive said over and over that they need to break up that Horford/Sap front court. This move also shows confidence in Moose. Good move all the way around. Now they have a BIG........Now they can defend the rim and rebound.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good move for the Hawks. Ive said over and over that they need to break up that Horford/Sap front court. This move also shows confidence in Moose. Good move all the way around. Now they have a BIG........Now they can defend the rim and rebound.

How does that show confidence in Moose?   I think this pushes him to the end of the bench but that's good.

For those interested, I proposed this about a month ago here but included a pick swap which obviously didn't happen

Tiago Splitter + Spurs 1st Round Pick (#26) for Hawks 1st Round Pick (#15)

What Can Splitter Do?

Splitter is a very underrated defender and rebounder. He was the reason we got past the Mavericks last year with his post defense on Dirk and also played Aldridge exceptionally well. Don't let his rebounding numbers fool you, he rebounds his position very well. He's also a very good finisher at the rim using the glass and sets really good screens, an underrated aspect of play for big guys. Tiago is an excellent passer for a 7 footer too, which is how he is able to play so effectively with Duncan.

What Can't Splitter Do?

Pretty much all of Tiagos limitations can be summed up by the fact that he can't really jump. He's basically the anti-DeAndre Jordan, all Jordan can do is dunk and block shots and that's all Tiago can't do. He doesn't get beaten on the offensive glass by his man but isn't going to be rebounding out of his area either. He also doesn't really block shots, but gets in the right position to bother guys with his size. One thing some Spurs fans hate is that he finishes around the rim like a guard, laying it up off the glass instead of dunking it, but he's a great finisher all the same.

In terms of post-ups he's average. He'll get you a bucket here or there but you can't throw him the ball possession after possession.

Why Do The Spurs Make The Trade?

Honestly I'm not certain that they do. However, we need to shed salary if we want to sign a top tier free agent (Aldridge/Gasol) and that means losing one of Diaw, Green or Splitter. All were pivotal to our run last year and it's a gamble to lose one of those guys with no guarantee we'll land a free agent, but he's the only one we can get anything for. Nobody will give up anything for Diaw after his problems in Charlotte and Green is a free agent. It opens up a max cap room slot (depending on Timmys salary) and lets us keep the rest of the group together while also allowing us to get a young guy for the future (I like Bobby Portis)

Why Do The Hawks Make The Trade?

Bud is a disciple of Pop, and that means he won't break up this team this offseason (and nor should he IMO). That means Millsap and Carroll are coming back, so the Hawks have around $9m to play with in cap room coinsidering their cap holds. Splitter fits perfectly in there and with the way the cap is expected to jump, it'll be impossible to get a similar caliber player with that money.

The Hawks need a big man who can defend and rebound. I haven't watched the Hawks extensively but this seems to be the area you have struggled most throughout the playoffs, first with Lopez and now with Mozgov/Thompson. Starting Splitter at center allows Horford to move to the 4 which would remedy the rebounding problem you have against the Cavs bigs.

I'm sure it depends on who is still there at #15, but I don't think anybody who looks to be there will improve you more over the next couple of years than Splitter could. Tiago would fit in to the Hawks team seamlessly having already played for Bud in a similar system for the Spurs. Also, you're only trading down 11 spots and greatly improving a weak spot on your team.

• Like 1

How does that show confidence in Moose?   I think this pushes him to the end of the bench but that's good.

For two reasons. FIRST, Sap might not resign. That means Tiago starts, and Moose is the first big off the bench. Second, even if Sap signs, they can play a BIG lineup with either Tiago or Moose......

Got crazy hype when this update was sent to my phone. This guy knows the system, he's a good passer, good rebounder, and good rim protector. He moves well without the ball and can finish. Without really giving anything up this is a great pickup. We can move Al to the 4 and actually have a legit lineup. I'm hype

• Like 1

For two reasons. FIRST, Sap might not resign. That means Tiago starts, and Moose is the first big off the bench. Second, even if Sap signs, they can play a BIG lineup with either Tiago or Moose......

Moose won't be a starter next year. He needs to bulken up or else he'll get pushed around the paint for 30 minutes.

My reaction is going to depend on what the details of the trade are. Hopefully, we are treating this like a FA signing and exchanging second round picks or something. We better not be giving up anything of value.

They needed the space to get Aldridge

If anything we should get a pick for helping them out

Ok... Can't say I ain't happy. I hope the Brazilian guy sticks to the Hawks this time.

But seriously... Not at Millsap's expense. Splitter has had health issues IIRC... Somewhat injury prone. I really hope it's for a pick and Muscala if we needed to add someone.

Moose is going nowhere

The team believes in him and I think it's a good bet

• Like 1

I am guessing that we used our cap space to get him without sending any contracts back to the Spurs. In this case we should have very little cap space left and we can resign Millsap only with his early Bird rights, which is about 16 mil per year. I guess this means Millsap is gone to Orlando unless we open up more space by other trades.