• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ready for an new arena? It's coming

macdaddy

Wonder if they will follow the Falcons lead and require "Personal Seat Licenses"?  I guess what it comes down to is owners want a monument built to them as proof the city really wants the team.   ASG probably would have asked for one too, but were afraid the city would say "Go efff yourself and leave town for all we care."

Edited by Randy

I always park at H.E. Holmes station and take Marta to the game; it's very safe that way. When I've driven I've always used the CNN deck. I have to agree with Soth some of those small lots are shady; I've often wondered if they even have permission to use those lots. Anyone can sit a chair in front of a lot and just start charging, and they are never there when you get back.

I also have the added protection of being a big black guy. One of the many benefits of being a big black guy is people never kidnap you for ransom and usually don't approach you in dark parking lots; if they do they are really desperate and you should treat them as such.

I do offer big black guy protection services if you want to buy me a ticket I'll roll with you to the game and look menacing.

• Like 4

Funny, I live in the second largest city in Georgia on the "wrong" side of town according to my co workers. All my neighbors but one are black in the cul de sac I live in. Care to try again?

The area around the arena is not safe. If you have to drive in and not take MARTA you will see some rough parts of town. I've had people that were clearly eying my car up and tried to car jack me more than once going to games. Even more funny, I guess, is that here in Columbus I got almost car jacked after I had to leave my wife in the hospital and that hospital is definitely in a bad part town of town.

So yeah, personal experience tells me all I need to know about the area around the arena and GD.

I have rolled through these places with my PA plates and never once have I felt unsafe. I mean, I am a very intimidating 5'8” and white as scotch tape, but still.

• Like 1

sok, just had to explain why I think that area is unsafe. I have literally almost been carjacked or had my car broken into on more than one occasion. I think anyone that had that happen to them would conclude the area wasn't safe.

There are some rough areas of Atlanta, especially to the south and west of downtown. I've done some bottomfeeding real estate work and have become intimately familiar with the different neighborhoods of Atlanta for the past 15 years. If you are trying to avoid interstate traffic, steer clear of Lakewood (recently rated as one of the top 10 most violent neighborhoods in the whole USA although i own property there and havent had many issues), Pittsburgh, English Avenue, Vine City, Center Hill, and the Hollywood Rd/Gun Club Rd area (real place). Those areas - along with some parts of West End and Peoplestown- at the rougher areas of downtown. I speak from personal experience since i look at property in these areas each month and own or have owned property in all of those neighborhoods. It's like Chris Rock said,

"I don't care where you are in America, if you're on Martin Luther King Boulevard, there's some violence going down. If you're talking with someone and they tell you they're on Martin Luther King, you tell them, Run! Run!"

I can attest thay there are some rough areas of Columbus, too. Saw some things that depressed me to my core. Very sad. Just like rundown parts of Augusta, Macon, and Savannah. Yikes.

But where Phillips is isn't really that bad at all. I think it should stay where it is.

• Like 2

You're on the mark with the Lakewood area and can attest from having grown up there. I still have family and friends there and it takes heaven and earth to move to get me to go visit. It is one of those corridors that were ignored when the city was revamping blighted areas. Even the Habitat for Humanity folks threw their hands up after thugs gutted new homes days after building them. While they did knock down the always dangerous Carver Homes for better housing, the cops normally have to come in force when going into Polar Rock and Swallow Circle because the criminals simply moved over there. Those are NOT places where you want to see the engine light on your car suddenly pop on...

My buddy was recently carjacked outside Cumberland/Galleria. Ergo... watch out, Bravos fans!

~lw3

With so much GPS out there, why would anyone steal a car or a cell phone? You might as well just tell the cops where you're headed.

• Like 1

• Moderators

With so much GPS out there, why would anyone steal a car or a cell phone? You might as well just tell the cops where you're headed.

My joke was, "Carjacking? That's SO 2007!" (thankfully, I could joke a little). News moves slowly in some parts of ATL.

~lw3