• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ready for an new arena? It's coming

macdaddy

I hope they put the new arena in a more convenient and I'll say it: SAFER part of town. Driving to the arena and the Dome is driving through some very bad parts of town.

Is it that bad? I go to GSU and I haven't felt worried leaving games and coming back to campus. Then again I don't drive there, but Atlanta isn't that dangerous so long as you keep moving.
  • Like 2

The "problem" with Phillips is the luxury suites. The one side of the arena configuration isnt working for the suite goers. So this really boils down to can they reconfigure the current building or create a new one around the luxury suites. Unfortunate but that is the crux of the story

Yeah - that sounds like the problem with Phillips.  Basically it seems that the whole game now is luxury suites - that drives everything. The fans in the regular seats are basically just props and noisemakers to create a sports atmosphere for the people that matter.

• Like 3

I really like the current location now that i am familiar with the different entrances and ways to get there. Take Dekalb Ave/Decatur St into downtown and 95% of the time its smooth sailing. The few times i have tsken MARTA has bern great too since brings you right into the building. The area is mostly safe. I love being able to park at the State Bar for free. Lots of good nearby restaurants and right next to Centennial if you want to get down there early and hang with the family. (Me and my kids have made a game of chasing pigeons in the park. Cheap thrills and good exercise, right? And yes, @Spud2Nique i am talking about actual birds and not women.) Anyway, it seems like a waste to move it and i am not a fan of more taxpayer dollars being thrown at something like this when Phillips seems to be in good shape and has aged well.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The "problem" with Phillips is the luxury suites. The one side of the arena configuration isnt working for the suite goers. So this really boils down to can they reconfigure the current building or create a new one around the luxury suites. Unfortunate but that is the crux of the story

Ahh, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out what was "wrong" with Phillips.

I hope they put the new arena in a more convenient and I'll say it: SAFER part of town. Driving to the arena and the Dome is driving through some very bad parts of town.

Ive never gotten the feeling that Phillips Arena was unsafe. I typically take Marta though. The one time i drove there i also didnt feel unsafe. What is it about the drive that makes it feel unsafe to you ?

Putting an arena or stadium no where near mass transit is a terrible idea. A lot of people still take MARTA to games and you will now force them to drive. We need less cars on the road, not more. The Braves will regret their decision to go to Cobb. They have guaranteed 5,000 more cars every game day in the worst part of the interstate in Atlanta.

Edited by DeacKillsaDevil

With that attitude you might as well just stay in the middle of nowhere southern georgia.

Putting the new arena at Civic Center would put it near the Pine St homeless shelter. The city and CAP have been trying to shut that down for years and are in the middle of a federal lawsuit over it.

A buddy of mine lived near there and said the bums were horrible to deal with. Nothing like why you see near the Mission or Woodruff Park.

• Premium Member

With that attitude you might as well just stay in the middle of nowhere southern georgia.

Funny, I live in the second largest city in Georgia on the "wrong" side of town according to my co workers. All my neighbors but one are black in the cul de sac I live in. Care to try again?

The area around the arena is not safe. If you have to drive in and not take MARTA you will see some rough parts of town. I've had people that were clearly eying my car up and tried to car jack me more than once going to games. Even more funny, I guess, is that here in Columbus I got almost car jacked after I had to leave my wife in the hospital and that hospital is definitely in a bad part town of town.

So yeah, personal experience tells me all I need to know about the area around the arena and GD.

Clearly @Sothron, you need to stop cruisin' around in that 2017 Escalade.

On a serious note, I've lived in Atlanta all my life and have never had a moment where I felt unsafe (other than those times I was clearly up to no good but we won't talk about that).

This is why it sounds so strange to hear accounts like yours, soth.  I know I'm blessed to not have had those experiences.  However, it makes me question those who are calling for all the stadiums to move out of the downtown area.  I think this Cobb Barves experiment is in for some issues primarily traffic/parking.

Funny, I live in the second largest city in Georgia on the "wrong" side of town according to my co workers. All my neighbors but one are black in the cul de sac I live in. Care to try again?

The area around the arena is not safe. If you have to drive in and not take MARTA you will see some rough parts of town. I've had people that were clearly eying my car up and tried to car jack me more than once going to games. Even more funny, I guess, is that here in Columbus I got almost car jacked after I had to leave my wife in the hospital and that hospital is definitely in a bad part town of town.

So yeah, personal experience tells me all I need to know about the area around the arena and GD.

I'm curious how they "tried" to steal your car. Were you still in the car and accelerated away? Did you catch them in the act and fight them off? Did you talk them into giving up a life of crime and going back to school? 

Personally, I've never had an issue in that area. My dad lives right down the road from Philips so I've driven around the area countless times. For games, some of the small parking lots are a bit shady, but I always take the MARTA or use the parking garage next to the State Bar of Georgia. It's fairly convenient and has always seemed safe enough. 

Braves games are a bit more worrisome, but I still can't say I've had any issues over there. I guess driving a 10+ year old car with not a single thing of value inside has its benefits. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm curious how they "tried" to steal your car. Were you still in the car and accelerated away? Did you catch them in the act and fight them off? Did you talk them into giving up a life of crime and going back to school? 

Personally, I've never had an issue in that area. My dad lives right down the road from Philips so I've driven around the area countless times. For games, some of the small parking lots are a bit shady, but I always take the MARTA or use the parking garage next to the State Bar of Georgia. It's fairly convenient and has always seemed safe enough. 

Braves games are a bit more worrisome, but I still can't say I've had any issues over there. I guess driving a 10+ year old car with not a single thing of value inside has its benefits. 

When you see three to five people coming directly at your car at a stop light or stop sign and you notice at least one of them has a gun in either his hand or sticking out of his waistband, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going on. I'm just glad I spotted them in time. One of the small parking lots had two guys that were hanging outside my car when I came back to get something I left and when I called out to them to ask why they were hanging around my car they ran.

The attempted car jacking at my local hospital was at 2 in the morning and they had a gun pointed at me. Thankfully they thought better of having a 2006 v8 Charger coming at them to get out of the way instead of trying to shoot.

This isn't some kind of paranoid fear. This is stuff that actually happened. I'm glad none of you have had these experiences.

With the current amount of gentrification in Atlanta, its never been safer. Besides any thug who wants to hit it big is gonna go where people gather no matter where it is.

I really hope they don't move the arena to Cobb because its ""SAFE"". Might as well release a press statement telling half the hawks fans to go eff themselves and all the white people who makes six figures to come pay 100$ for nosebleeds.

Edited by Static

When you see three to five people coming directly at your car at a stop light or stop sign and you notice at least one of them has a gun in either his hand or sticking out of his waistband, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going on. I'm just glad I spotted them in time. One of the small parking lots had two guys that were hanging outside my car when I came back to get something I left and when I called out to them to ask why they were hanging around my car they ran.

The attempted car jacking at my local hospital was at 2 in the morning and they had a gun pointed at me. Thankfully they thought better of having a 2006 v8 Charger coming at them to get out of the way instead of trying to shoot.

This isn't some kind of paranoid fear. This is stuff that actually happened. I'm glad none of you have had these experiences.

Alright, I was just wondering what that looked like. It sounds like you've been very unfortunate (and at the same time fortunate) to be faced with those situations. Sorry to hear it. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Alright, I was just wondering what that looked like. It sounds like you've been very unfortunate (and at the same time fortunate) to be faced with those situations. Sorry to hear it. 

sok, just had to explain why I think that area is unsafe. I have literally almost been carjacked or had my car broken into on more than one occasion. I think anyone that had that happen to them would conclude the area wasn't safe.

I hope there is enough 'Alpheretta Unicorns' to replace all the college students and millenials that walk to the games. 

and LOL if you thought the games were quiet now. Imagine a stadium full of golf claps.