• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ready for an new arena? It's coming

macdaddy

• Moderators

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/hawks-reed-discuss-philips-arena-rehab-locations-f/nm5X4/

The Atlanta Hawks met with Mayor Kasim Reed and city officials to explore arena options in Atlanta.

In a press conference Thursday to discuss a variety of issues, the mayor said he and the team discussed the possible rehab of the team’s current home, Philips Arena, and the possibility of moving to another site in the city.

Reed said he and Hawks owner, Tony Ressler, discussed the Civic Center and a third location, which he wouldn’t reveal because “it’s a real estate play.”

“What I’m willing to do is coming to the table that makes sense and is fair to the people of Atlanta,” Reed emphasized. “I’m not closed to participating in a reasonable plan to make sure that the Hawks remain in the city and that’s what I expressed in that meeting.”

The mayor wouldn’t go into further detail, but said he was “very satisfied” in his interactions with the new ownership group.

On his first full day as principal owner of the Hawks in June, Ressler told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the 16-year-old Philips Arena would need to be remodeled or replaced.

“There’s do-nothing. There’s remodel. Or there’s a new arena. Do-nothing is not an option,” said Ressler.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/hawks-reed-discuss-philips-arena-rehab-locations-f/nm5X4/

I would rather them remodel Phillips but honestly they don't need a new arena. Phillips is rated 1 or 2 every year as one of the best arena's in the nation. Philips has only been open for 16 years. I don't think that one good year entitles the organization to a new arena.  MARTA takes you right there. 

• Moderators

I think it's in the best location already.   The civic center would be very convenient for me but there's not really a close enough marta stop.  i guess the wrongly named civic center stop is close enough to walk but ideally you want to put people out right at the gates.

• Admin

I think it's in the best location already.   The civic center would be very convenient for me but there's not really a close enough marta stop.  i guess the wrongly named civic center stop is close enough to walk but ideally you want to put people out right at the gates.

I am not from Atlanta but I always read the complaints about getting to Phillips as the traffic is always bad and that is the reason so many people are late to the games

I disagree. I have NEVER liked the location of the Georgia Dome OR the Omni or Phillips Arena. Has NOTHING to do with " bad people" downtown. ( code word for the ghettos). Has everything to do with the fact that its just too cramped and not conducive to tailgating like it should. The traffic is another issue.

The PRIME spot for football, basketball, baseball, etc. was the old General Motors plant. Too late for that now. The Civic Center is a good location. There is prime territory all up and down Georgia 400. I WISH Atlantic Station had room. Bottom line, anywhere but where Phillips is currently located.

• Moderators

I am not from Atlanta but I always read the complaints about getting to Phillips as the traffic is always bad and that is the reason so many people are late to the games

Well that's true to a point but also Atlantans typically think they can get anywhere faster than they reallly can.   No decent spot in the city itself is going to be much different in terms of traffic although i'd say civic center might have a slight edge.  It's a really good location but i think there is a lot of good synergy down around centennial park now that they've been trying to cultivate for really 50 years.   Now that's its here i'd hate to lose the most important live event facility

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Last time I was in Atlanta, 85 was packed... but over by the arena was the easiest driving.  Need to do something about 85.

Welcome to Atlanta where sports arenas come to die...

Anyway, say goodbye to Philips Arena, folks. It, like the Georgia Dome, Turner Field, and Panthersville in Decatur all have a date with dynamite. I also wouldn't be too shocked if the 40+ year-old GSU Sports Arena also joined this list soon. I personally have no beef with Philips itself but the problem I saw coming years ago was putting a 20,000-seat arena on the same footprint that was already tight when the 16,000-seat Omni was there. I've stated as much when this topic was discussed before.

As far as the Civic Center location is concerned, I can see where they're coming from here. They've been discussing redeveloping the Civic Center for awhile and with the Fox, Gwinnett Arena, and the Cobb Energy Center around (not to mention FOUR amphitheaters in the metro area), there really is no need for the Civic Center other than APS high school graduations and Family Feud, which can all be done at other venues. As for how they do in terms of getting folks to and from the rails as well as the additional space needed for parking, well...

Love Phillips, hopefully a remodel. But the Civic Center location is very good too. Still in downtown (Midtown-ish, O4W-ish) and Civic Center train station is only a 2 block walk.

What a complete waste of money.  Phillips is excellent already, has ample parking, and is within walking distance of several major attractions in the city.  Traffic can be bad anytime, anywhere in Atlanta so moving to another spot will do nothing good.   Traffic is the problem that should be addressed first, not building another arena.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a new one built though - but only after the new Falcons stadium is finished.  Creates a lot of money floating around, which we creates a lot of possibilities for the people in charge.  

• Like 1

What a complete waste of money. Phillips is excellent already, has ample parking, and is within walking distance of several major attractions in the city. Traffic can be bad anytime, anywhere in Atlanta so moving to another spot will do nothing good. Traffic is the problem that should be addressed first, not building another arena. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new one built though - but only after the new Falcons stadium is finished. Creates a lot of money floating around, which we creates a lot of possibilities for the people in charge.

Good points. I would lean on a massive rebuild where they are at but I know the city folks want to knock off two birds with one stone by having them take over the Civic Center spot...

The Civic Center area seems "open", but I'm sure problems would arise there as well, no perfect location for the ever-worsening Atlanta Traffic.

And I'm no venue aficionado by any stretch, but the gut feeling I get from Phillips is nothing special. Outside detail is kinda lame IMO. I liked Turner a lot as well as The Omni.

Sounds unbelievable, but I don't think I've ever been in the Dome. No battle of the bands, chik fil a games, SEC championships, Final Fours, Falcons exhibition games, nothing. Just never been interested in tailgating and live football.

Edited by benhillboy

The "problem" with Phillips is the luxury suites. The one side of the arena configuration isnt working for the suite goers. So this really boils down to can they reconfigure the current building or create a new one around the luxury suites. Unfortunate but that is the crux of the story

• Like 1

I like Phillips, seen concerts from the suite side, hope they choose to refurbish, all new Falcons Stadium renderings I've seen show the Dome as a parking lot, Civic Center locale is good as well, and it's still only 3 blocks from a MARTA rail station.