• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hardaway says he will bring defense

capstone21

Last night vs Dallas: 20 minutes and a big fat ZERO points?????

0/8, 0/4 from 3, 0 assists, 4 rebounds......forget defense, where's his offense. 

The 2 games I've seen him play, he looks uncomfortable,  like he's thinking too much.

I hope this is just a glitch in the machine.

I know it took Thabo and Baze awhile to settle in last year but at least they had their defense to rely on.

I still have hopes for THJr though.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

0/8, 0/4 from 3, 0 assists, 4 rebounds......forget defense, where's his offense. 

The 2 games I've seen him play, he looks uncomfortable,  like he's thinking too much.

I know it took Thabo and Baze awhile to settle in last year but at least they had their defense to rely on.

The start of his Hawks tenure hasn't been a blockbuster that's for sure.  Everyone else at the end of our bench will defend harder, so if that efficient 20 point game don't come real quick he isn't gonna like Bud.  That Knick filth is hard to wash off unlike our Spurs and Warriors pick ups who are freshly bathed.

We all were impressed with GR3, is he still with Indy and if so how's he doing?  I don't know all the contractual logistics or why we went with Hardaway over him, but I'll be thoroughly pissed if he has a better year.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

He needs to bring a jump shot just like Holiday

I think THjr is a better defender than he is given credit for. In New York, he was left on an island very often and given the blame for not rolling or giving help defense when in reality it was just the original defender not giving proper effort.  THjr, I believe, is a system guy and will adapt to the system he is in.

• Like 1

Hardaway Jr just doesn't look like he can shoot. For the most part he isn't chucking in the games I've seen but he can't buy a basket and most of the shots he's taking are wide open.

give the man some time....he can hit these open shots trust me. He will pick it up, it's a different system for him and he just need some more time to adjust. 

He he will get into rhythm eventually. His defense is still his number one main concern.

• Like 4

give the man some time....he can hit these open shots trust me. He will pick it up, it's a different system for him and he just need some more time to adjust. 

He he will get into rhythm eventually. His defense is still his number one main concern.

True we all know we can shoot for sure. I think having a change of scenery and having a coach that picked him because his mistakes could be corrected will go a long way in his development. We may not see what Bud sees in him yet, But then again some didn't see much in Demarre besides his defense when he first got here.

True we all know we can shoot for sure. I think having a change of scenery and having a coach that picked him because his mistakes could be corrected will go a long way in his development. We may not see what Bud sees in him yet, But then again some didn't see much in Demarre besides his defense when he first got here.

exactly excellent points

I really wish people would stop using the Demarre comparison. Anyone who watched him play his last year in Utah knew DMC could be a starter in this league. Every time I watched Utah play, I always came away saying " How is this dude not starting over Marvin".

I didn't like the trade for Hardaway when it happened and my opinion still hasn't changed. Being that he is a member of the team I love, I hope he plays well this year. It might take him some time to get it together but I just don't think he is the player that most want him to be. Blaming the Knicks for his horrible play just isn't fair. He was pretty much the same guy he was in college. He was a streaky scorer in college that didn't defend nor was he very efficient. What you saw with the Knicks is pretty much what dude has always been.

I really wish people would stop using the Demarre comparison. Anyone who watched him play his last year in Utah knew DMC could be a starter in this league. Every time I watched Utah play, I always came away saying " How is this dude not starting over Marvin".

I didn't like the trade for Hardaway when it happened and my opinion still hasn't changed. Being that he is a member of the team I love, I hope he plays well this year. It might take him some time to get it together but I just don't think he is the player that most want him to be. Blaming the Knicks for his horrible play just isn't fair. He was pretty much the same guy he was in college. He was a streaky scorer in college that didn't defend nor was he very efficient. What you saw with the Knicks is pretty much what dude has always been.

I'm not that impressed with him either.

The Atlanta Hawks decision to trade the 19th pick in the 2015 Draft to the New York Knicks for Tim Hardaway Jr. is one of the more controversial moves the team made over the offseason. While Mike Budenholzer and Wes Wilcox have identified Hardaway as a player they have had their eyes on for some time, his progress has been a bit slow so far this preseason.

Hardaway came into Wednesday's game just 6-25 from the field. He saw extended minutes against the Heat but was just 2-8 from the field finishing with seven points and six rebounds. As you can see, he has struggled to make shots all over the floor.

hardawayshotchart

Prior to the preseason, Hardaway talked about playing in the Hawks' system after running the triangle in New York. He talked about how the Triangle was always on your mind and that one of the biggest differences in Atlanta was the free flowing nature on offense. While that is true, there are concepts and reads that players must make in Budenholzer's system and Hardaway currently looks like a player that is thinking a bit too much rather than simply reacting.

Despite his struggles, Hardaway looks like a good bet to see minutes in Atlanta's rotation once the regular season begins. As was mentioned earlier, the Hawks paid a heavy price to acquire him so he will likely get ample opportunities to prove he can do the job.

Atlanta took a similar tact with Thabo Sefolosha, who struggled out of the gate last season. Sefolosha was shooting just 37 percent from the field and was just 2-for-20 from three-point range through November. The coaching staff stuck with him, and he upped those percentages to 44 percent shooting in December while knocking down 37 percent of his long-range attempts.

Atlanta's other major wing acquisition Justin Holiday has also struggled going 2-for-17 from the field in four preseason games.

So expect the Hawks to show patience with Hardaway and to continue to bring him along slowly even while he is struggling offensively.  To his credit, Atlanta has performed well defensively during the preseason with him on the floor. If that carries over into the regular season, then it will be easier to live with some of the growing pains offensively.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/10/19/9566435/tim-hardaway-jr-struggles-atlanta-hawks

Good to know his defense isn't all bad.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

As pointed out already there were a lot of complaints at the beginning of last season that Thabo and Baze were terrible additions as both struggled for the first few months.   This is why we have a player development program.   I'm sure Bud is not surprised nor concerned that Hardaway and Holiday are still trying to figure things out 3 weeks into camp.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Also, THjr shot 35% from 3 with the knicks and 45 % overall.     Korver's already lofty percentages are about 5% higher with the Hawks than any other team he played for.

No - THJ shot 40.8% overall with the Knicks.  Not close to 45%.  He shot 42.8% one season and 38.9% last season for his overall shooting.

• Moderators

No - THJ shot 40.8% overall with the Knicks.  Not close to 45%.  He shot 42.8% one season and 38.9% last season for his overall shooting.

I stand corrected.  I was looking at his 2 pt %.   Still it seemed like a chuckfest in NY and that won't be the case here.   He won't be taking low quality shots or he'll be hitting the bench.

Agreed, @macdaddy, too early to be worried about anyone based on preseason performance.  Preseason numbers don't mean much - good or bad.

Pretty much this.  For all those still whining about the trade, I propose stickying a thread comparing Oubre's and THJr's stats this season.  DLeague nimbahs don't count.

I'm not worried, I just hope Bud doesn't overplay THJr. because he feels the need to justify the trade.

This is one problem I could see about being GM and coach.  I feel pretty confident though after being reminded about Thabo, Baze, and Pero's struggles....although Pero never recovered from his.  He'll get the PT to prove himself.