• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Observations vs Wizards

capstone21

It's ALL about the defense....Bud said he never talks offense at halftime. 

1. Blazing Baze career high in points and great defense

2. Another sleepwalker for Al, stop shooting 3s

3.  KK on a back to back is good news

4. Steady Sap

5. Teague couldn't buy a bucket early but was still agressive

6. 2nd game I a row Dennis actually ran the offense but his shit selection not so much. His defense was on point though. Diving on the floor harassing Wall and Beal.

7. Moose and Scott made big contributions

8. Holiday keeps impressing - he is long

9. Thabo just plays - between him and Holiday tons of deflection from their 'longnest' lol.

10. Take a breather guys 4 games in 5 nights - all wins - yep.

I think the best defense I've seen Dennis play was late in the 3rd when he was covering Wall. He ran over and disrupted Dudley (I think) and then he instantly got right back in front of Wall. Then he mirrored his movements perfectly before contesting a difficult shot. It was beautiful. Other than that, we grinded it out for 3 quarters and then dropped 39 on them in the 4th. Nice way to cap off 4 games in 5 nights. 

• Like 2

All good points above. Agreed. This particular back-to-back had me really worried, but we continue to thrive in the face of this type of scheduling.

- Baze...I just see passion and determination that can't be taught. He's building confidence with each shot. What and absolute joy to watch him thrive in Bud's system.

- Thabo and Scott delivered tonight off the bench, offense and defense. Loved the effort here.

- And Holiday, that length, sure he's a bit raw but I'm impressed with the minutes he's earned, and he will only get better.  Disrupts passing lanes and such a smooth release on his shot. 

- Moose redeemed himself with that big 3, and I also cringed when he released it. But pulling bigs out like that will continue to spread the floor for our system. 

- Sap remains steady and consistent, maintains control, even when our starters get sloppy.  He was the glue and Baze was the spark. 

- Al was just flat. Didn't see any fire in his game tonight. Fatigue, maybe...but let's step in a few feet and stick to the pick and pop/elbow jumpers.  

- I think Wall's game was getting in Jeff's head early on ...but jeff's 4th quarter composure and ability to create and ultimately get his is what counts in the end.  Continued improvement from Dennis as the game went on.

- Assist ratio awesome, a lot of unnecessary turnovers, defense kept us in, and I don't know what the rebounding ratio was, but spun up another "W."

Get some rest, Hawks. Good division win!!!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OldTimeHawk said:

havent had a chance to watch any games , but keeping track when I can - but is Al staying outside more helping to open up the floor inside ?

If he was hitting more of his mid-range game, it would warrant him stepping out, but I personally think it's killing us on the boards. I'm not a fan of him shooting 3's either. He has an inside game that's being overlooked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

There was a debate about this earlier before the season about it being Cleveland or Boston or Charlotte but I feel like the Wiz might be our rivals

Yup, especially after that playoff series. The Wizards postgame show totally disrespected us. They did their Eastern Conference rankings, and one of the commentators didn't even have us finishing in the top 5 in the East LOL. 

I can't stand this Washington team...and Paula's not even there anymore!  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, jpj2112 said:

Yup, especially after that playoff series. The Wizards postgame show totally disrespected us. They did their Eastern Conference rankings, and one of the commentators didn't even have us finishing in the top 5 in the East LOL. 

I can't stand this Washington team...and Paula's not even there anymore!  

Yes, f*** the Wizards. OVERRATED team the last several years. Their best player cares more about looking good than playing effective basketball, and their bigs are dirty overrated stiffs. The whole John Wall wrist baloney, where the whole freaking team faked a  hand fracture to have a built in excuse for a second round exit puts the cherry on top of the  crusty shit cake that is the Wizards franchise.  Only guy I can respect on that team is Beal cause the dude showed he can flat out ball during our playoff series. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

There was a debate about this earlier before the season about it being Cleveland or Boston or Charlotte but I feel like the Wiz might be our rivals

They're our closest rivals based on the tightness of our last 7 games, but I don't really look at any of their players as rivals now that Pierce is gone. I need someone to hate. Plus the DC fans are about as miserable as they come so there's not enough schadenfreude when they lose. We need to beat the Cavs in the playoffs to cement a meaningful rivalry IMO. They have true championship aspirations and a surplus of hateable players. 

Edited by High5
  • Like 2

-Bazemore is the man.

-Glad to see we can still close out home games.

-Great to see us win these 4 games in 5 days. We didn't have to play any championship contending teams (Some good teams though) but it's still great to win these 4.

-Humphries is shooting 3's. When did this happen? I didn't know he could do this. Can he do this?

-Pierce really served an important roll for the Wizards. They aren't as good of a 4th quarter team as they were in those playoffs.

-Al needs to stop taking these 3's from the top of the key. I'm fine with an open corner three from him but those are really the only 3's I want him taking.

-I love watching the Hawks shoot 100% from the line.

-Really impressed with the Hawks this year so far. Great wins, great effort, we are playing Hawk basketball again, and when we play like this we are very hard to beat.

• Like 1

I fell asleep in the 3rd and I woke up with about 4 mins to go. lol

Anyway:

-Washington is just as dumb as they were last season. They are perhaps the dumbest team in the entire NBA.

-Randy Whittman still has those same stupid expressions that he had while the Hawks mauled Washington last season.

-Bazemore. He might not drop 15-20 a night, but it seems like the Hawks really get a boost when he is on a big scoring run.

-The bench has gotten off to a slow start, but it was big tonight... It sort of started with the Pelts game, but the bench being more productive should lead to some bigger wins.

-Dennis continues to be very up and down.

-It looks like Kyle will be taking more shots that are not 3 pointers. I guess coach Bud figured out that teams have become comfortable with just chasing Korver around the 3pt line.

-Thankfully Ramon Sessions and Jared Dudley did not go off. They've given the Hawks problems in the past.

I just don't see Washington as a threat. 

• Like 4

They aren't our rivals.  Not when Wall is one of the easiest players for Bud to scheme for.  

His teammate have to stay stationary because he's so erratic with no fluidity or feel for synchronization, so his passing tendencies are easy to pick up on and predict. Then we have smart, quick defenders who can guess his steps and draw a couple charges.  The cherry on top is sagging off and allowing him to shoot his poor three pointer. 

Their best team moments in the series last year came with Beal and Sessions controlling with Wall in a crass suit.  Wizards fans have been killing his turnovers all year and calling his mistakes rookie-grade.  His steal and block numbers are insane (2.2 on the latter) but that's about where his statistical advantages end.  Bud would bar him from taking threes at .286, and probably bar him from playing altogether when the Dwight Effect is in play: more turnovers and fouls than FGs made is not good.  

He complained about making as much as Reggie Jackson, maybe Jackson should complain about making what Wall is.

One of the best sequences of the game was Moose making up for Nene abusing him in the paint twice in a row with timely jumpers, one a three.  It clearly damaged their spirits and hopes of making any kind of run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blazemore said:

-Al needs to stop taking these 3's from the top of the key. I'm fine with an open corner three from him but those are really the only 3's I want him taking.

Yeah, I thought the occasional corner 3 was useful, but I don't really see the point in him trying to extend his range beyond that. Our offense already becomes close to unstoppable when he's hitting his midrange shot. 

• Like 1