• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford's New Go-To Move - The Defended Fadeaway

SalvorMallow

2 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

Al was an absolute mess out there tonight.  He was avoiding contact under the basket, getting bullied for rebounds, and kept demanding the ball to iso into a defended fadeaway from the mid post.  

It's getting extremely frustrating to watch him out on the court with all the mistakes he's making.  He's so damned soft that he can't even make a move on Collison in the post.

Is it time to consider a trade at the deadline?

when you are a big man struggling to make shots- pulling up for an out of rhythm three just doesn't seem prudent

there are at least three kittens currently in splints due to al horfords play tonight

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Horford's play is part of my worry but the other part is Bud.  This is the part of Popovich he's missing. You know if Duncan played like this he would be laying into it and let him hear it for playing soft.

I know we don't have much depth but I would be putting Al on the bench for some of those shots/plays.  Same goes for Dennis.  They're getting a little too comfortable out there with their poor play and may need a reality check.

The other part of Pop he's missing is Tim Duncan period. 

That said, I don't think Bud would ever trade Horford. He likes his stretch bigs. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mdizzle5 said:

The other part of Pop he's missing is Tim Duncan period. 

That said, I don't think Bud would ever trade Horford. He likes his stretch bigs. 

Yeah Bud wouldn't trade him.  Ferry would have.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Yeah Bud wouldn't trade him.  Ferry would have.

Indeed Ferry reportedly tried to.  I just don't know if Bud can be objective enough with this team.  He comes from a culture where they kept everyone together.  The difference is, the Hawks don't have the kind of players the Spurs do.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

When you shrink the rotation to 7 guys they tend to get comfortable with their playing time.    It's on Bud to toughen this team up.     The most physical thing we've done all year is Bud bumping a ref.  

Ha! Good one! Unfortunately, it's true though.  I thought the Hawks would come back tougher and with a chip on their after the beating they took from the Cavs in the ECF. I was dead wrong.  

11 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Ha! Good one! Unfortunately, it's true though.  I thought the Hawks would come back tougher and with a chip on their after the beating they took from the Cavs in the ECF. I was dead wrong.  

Only ones who've done that are Millsap and (arguably) Bazemore.  Might be time to sacrifice some 'skill' for some 'tude.

15 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Me too, I thought they'd be hungry and fighting hard. They seem a little too content with last years '60 win/ECF' berth.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Only ones who've done that are Millsap and (arguably) Bazemore.  Might be time to sacrifice some 'skill' for some 'tude.

Millsap, Baze and Thabo are giving the effort.   Teague is doing what Teague does so I'm happy with that.    Horford has been inconsistent and Korver has too but i feel like he'll get better.   Splitter I'm unimpressed with so far.   The rest of the team are kind of borderline rotation players so bottom line is we need more quality nba talent if we're going to compete this year.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

Al was an absolute mess out there tonight.  He was avoiding contact under the basket, getting bullied for rebounds, and kept demanding the ball to iso into a defended fadeaway from the mid post.  

It's getting extremely frustrating to watch him out on the court with all the mistakes he's making.  He's so damned soft that he can't even make a move on Collison in the post.

Is it time to consider a trade at the deadline?

ESPN NBA TRADE MACHINE says that Horford, Scott and Mack for Howard would go thru.........

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Millsap, Baze and Thabo are giving the effort.   Teague is doing what Teague does so I'm happy with that.    Horford has been inconsistent and Korver has too but i feel like he'll get better.   Splitter I'm unimpressed with so far.   The rest of the team are kind of borderline rotation players so bottom line is we need more quality nba talent if we're going to compete this year.  

This is why the Hawks absolutely have to start taking the Draft seriously. The whiffs and highly questionable decisions in the first round have had a cumulative impact on this team.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Ding, ding, ding!!  We have  winner.

Now, how do you get talent in the nba?  FAgency, draft, development (basically).   And therein lies a big issue I have with our FOffice (under Ferry and Budz).   It's development, development, development for them all day/everyday.  That's great but not at the expense of the draft, especially considering FAgency isn't our cup of tea (we all know the FAgency issues pre-date life itself in Atlanta so that's not on them).

Why sign a 3 and work 3 years to develop him into a 7 when you can draft a 7 and try to work him into a 10?

@hawkman gets it.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ding, ding, ding!!  We have  winner.

Now, how do you get talent in the nba?  FAgency, draft, development (basically).   And therein lies a big issue I have with our FOffice (under Ferry and Budz).   It's development, development, development for them all day/everyday.  That's great but not at the expense of the draft, especially considering FAgency isn't our cup of tea (we all know the FAgency issues pre-date life itself in Atlanta so that's not on them).

Why sign a 3 and work 3 years to develop him into a 7 when you can draft a 7 and try to work him into a 10?

@hawkman gets it.

At this point though we have trades to consider.    Our best 4 guys are basically:

Sap, teague, horford, dennis.      That only covers really 2 positions.    You have to trade talent to get talent unless someone is dumping salary.   

The other option is trading picks or trying to pickup solid nba guys that aren't needed on their current team the way the Cavs did last year by getting Mozgov, Shump, and JR.     I mean seriously.   Look at those 3 guys.   They all could be starting for the Hawks and the Cavs acquired them to bolster their bench.   They don't make those transactions and they might not have gotten by the hawks.  

4 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

We better be buyers of talented veterans who know how to win this trade deadline.

Who though?  Right now the only vets allegedly available are Morris (PHO), Anderson (NO), Smith (LAC), Lantz (LAC), Lawson/Jones/Donatas (HOU).

Although I absolutely hate him, Morris could actually help us in terms of bringing some attitude.  Assuming he doesn't completely napalm the locker-room.

Anderson would help us too but I'm not sure we could come up with a package enticing enough for them, especially considering they apparently think they're still in it.