• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I Am Calling Out Those That Call Al Horford anything other than BOSS

bumpyphish1

• Premium Member
On 6/1/2016 at 8:51 PM, Lurker said:

You counterjinxed Al Horford. He's been total garbage these two games and is going to cost ATL both these games

Lol, he almost had a triple double the second game. You are such a troll.

If you want to point the finger at a single player on this squad it should be Korver. We probably have an extra 3-4 wins if he was playing anywhere near last year's level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Let's see you "fans" respond to this:

In his last five, Horford averaged 21.4 points, 9.2 boards, 4.2 dimes, 2.2 blocks, 1.0 steals and 1.8 treys on 63.8 percent from the field -- he has been the best player in fantasy in his last five.

From rotoworld. So, yeah, Horford sure has been "horrible"...

If he can keep it up in the playoffs, Hawks might have a chance to upset the Cavs. There's no clear cut 2nd best team in the East. 

6 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

If he can keep it up in the playoffs, Hawks might have a chance to upset the Cavs. There's no clear cut 2nd best team in the East. 

I agree. If we can get everyone hot going into the playoffs, I think we have a shot at going back to ECF and probably making an upset there as well.

"Disappointing" and "great" are both covered, we need a thread to bump for Horford's simply acceptable performances. It's important we make absolute claims about Horford's ability based on each individual game. 

Edited by High5
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, High5 said:

"Disappointing" and "great" are both covered, we need a thread to bump for Horford's simply acceptable performances. It's important we make absolute claims about Horford's ability based on each individual game. 

Welcome to the 'Squawk.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I agree. If we can get everyone hot going into the playoffs, I think we have a shot at going back to ECF and probably making an upset there as well.

That's a big "if" though. I expect Korver and Millsap to have a better showing in the playoffs since they should be healthy. I just don't know which Teague, Dennis and Scott we'll see in the playoffs. 

This is probably the Hawks' last great shot at winning it all since next summer four starters (minus Al) and Dennis will be up for FA and usually situations like that hurts the team than help them. 

• Premium Member

Hands down that game was one of the best all around performances we've seen from Horf.  But, for the Hawks to do what some here believe they will, he's going to have to have that kind of effort consistently.  Especially in the playoffs.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

Hands down that game was one of the best all around performances we've seen from Horf.  But, for the Hawks to do what some here believe they will, he's going to have to have that kind of effort consistently.  Especially in the playoffs.

True, but I can't lie to myself any more about this team's chances or about Horf becoming the 20 and 10 guy this team needs. I'm certain that this season will end just like previous seasons. I'll do my best to enjoy the ride though as this team can play some pretty good basketball when everyone pulls their weight.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, hawkman said:

True, but I can't lie to myself any more about this team's chances or about Horf becoming the 20 and 10 guy this team needs. I'm certain that this season will end just like previous seasons. I'll do my best to enjoy the ride though as this team can play some pretty good basketball when everyone pulls their weight.

I'm right there with you.  I love Horf, but he's pratically 30 and at this point, he is who he is as a player.  Not a slight against him at all as he's a really good player, but nothing in his history suggests he will ever be a player that performs this way consistently.  Whether it be at the center position or any other position, to win a title you need a star player.  Those guys are hard to get.  The Hawks know all of that and I don't think they've given up on trying to get that guy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I'm right there with you.  I love Horf, but he's pratically 30 and at this point, he is who he is as a player.  Not a slight against him at all as he's a really good player, but nothing in his history suggests he will ever be a player that performs this way consistently.  Whether it be at the center position or any other position, to win a title you need a star player.  Those guys are hard to get.  The Hawks know all of that and I don't think they've given up on trying to get that guy.

Exactly this. We know he can do this but the question is always can he do this MORE often than NOT.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Exactly this. We know he can do this but the question is always can he do this MORE often than NOT.  

Horford is an ultimate team player, alot like guys such as Buck Williams and Grant Long.  In fact, the night Horford was drafted, Buck Williams is who Jay Bilas compared Horford to and I think it's a good comparison.  He's a great teammate, a guy who hustles and can make alot of energy plays on both sides of the floor.  Can he have those occasional games where he puts up big numbers?  Absolutely.  But he's not a go to player, a guy that will always carry you offensively or manufacture easy baskets in the halfcourt.  Horf's never been that guy and that's fine.  Numbers aside, I think there just have been games this year where he hasn't played with that kind of hustle that we're used to seeing from him.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Horford is an ultimate team player, alot like guys such as Buck Williams and Grant Long.  In fact, the night Horford was drafted, Buck Williams is who Jay Bilas compared Horford to and I think it's a good comparison.  He's a great teammate, a guy who hustles and can make alot of energy plays on both sides of the floor.  Can he have those occasional games where he puts up big numbers?  Absolutely.  But he's not a go to player, a guy that will always carry you offensively or manufacture easy baskets in the halfcourt.  Horf's never been that guy and that's fine.  Numbers aside, I think there just have been games this year where he hasn't played with that kind of hustle that we're used to seeing from him.

When I've criticized Al - that has been my point.  I like to say we get "Cement boots Al' tonight.

2 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Horford is an ultimate team player, alot like guys such as Buck Williams and Grant Long.  In fact, the night Horford was drafted, Buck Williams is who Jay Bilas compared Horford to and I think it's a good comparison.

Jay is uncanny at comparisons and projections.   BSPN f&@ked up allowing all the new analysts to do the same at the draft without a fraction of the historical player recall he has.

Buck was smaller and clearly a more rugged rebounder at 10 per for his career, but their personalities were probably the biggest factor in Bilas' analogy with the unselfishness almost to a fault and leadership through example and professionalism.  Buck even favors Al's dad.  

His closest career comparisons per The Reference are also similar to Al in Rasheed, Horace Grant, and Otis Thorpe.  I had no idea Al was 245 lbs, 20+ pounds heavier than all 4 of these guys.  I also thought Rasheed was a more productive rebounder, never getting close to 10 per in a season.  Al will likely finish his career with a Thorpe-like 14 and 8 while being a super-sub for a contender late in his career.