• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford is as soft as butter

Lurker

• Moderators

Korver has definitely been catching heat lately.  His defenders think he is being overused and should be spending a lot more time on the bench.  His attackers think his career is over and want him gone.  It is a given that post-surgery he is struggling this year on both ends of the floor and that our younger All-Stars are going to have to step up and cover that slack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

our younger All-Stars are going to have to step up and cover that slack.

This couldn't be more true - Al and Jeff.  I've pointed out before, for me  there is a heirarchy of expectations from our  4 'All-stars'.

1. Jeff

2. Al

3. Paul

4. Kyle.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I'm not hurting over anything. When I watch the game and turn to the Squawk after it to see people blaming Horford of all people when Korver looked like a left over Walking Dead zombie extra or Millsap goes 6-17 it just blows me away. Horford was the last person to blame for that loss. I know Horford is not playing at his usual consistent effort this season but sometimes the agenda gets in the way of what actually happened in games.

I'm messing with you.  I agree Al doesn't deserve all the blame but he is not blameless simply because he ended up with a fancy stat-line.  Also, I think it's more egregious to throw Sap's name in the mud.  Kyle and Teague were the drivers of last night's disaster IMO.

Quiet as it's kept, Budz deserves criticism for his performance lately too.  I'll brace for impact on that one.

• Moderators

The only thing that stands out as a negative to me with Al's boxscore from yesterday is that he had the same number of rebounds on the Hawks' defensive end of the court as each of Porzingis and Lopez.  I can't figure out why he is having such a career year on the offensive boards but such a terrible year on the defensive boards.

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

Honestly, that is more than being harsh. You can't ignore the contribution that was two assists short of a trip dub as a center. All those points didn't count? those rebounds? eight assists? The only real problem with Al was missing both those free throws when we needed them but that doesn't take away from the good he did.

For perspective, Horford had 9 points, 5 rebounds ( 4 offensive rebounds ), 3 assists, an 2 blocks .... in the 4th quarter.

It was the play of Hoford in that 4th quarter that enabled the Hawks to get back in the game.

Now of course, people will point to Horford's 4 point - 5 rebound - 5 assist performance through the first 3 quarters is part of the reason why we were in the hole in the first place.

To me, Horford played a Jason Kidd like game.  Even when he wasn't scoring, he was creating for others.

Last night, he led the Hawks in rebounds and tied for the lead in assists and blocks.

He was the most efficient Hawk on the floor last night. 

I do agree with those that say that Korver's role on this team needs to be reduced.  I have no problem for him to keep looking for his shot when he's in the game.  But his minutes do need to be reduced, in my opinion.

The Hawks are nowhere near the defensive team they were last year, and it showed last night.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Wait, wait.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But Horford was "creating for others" last night?

Yeees, yes.  Let's go with that.  So Kyle was creating rebounding ops for everybody last night.  What a team guy!

7 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Wait, wait.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But Horford was "creating for others" last night?

Passing is his best skill and defining characteristic as a Big. Unfortunately many of the best passing Bigs throughout history are much bigger than Al is so they can do other things well that Cs should actually be doing.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

Passing is his best skill and defining characteristic as a Big. Unfortunately many of the best passing Bigs throughout history are much bigger than Al is so they can do other things well that Cs should actually be doing.

I acknowledge Al is a good passer, but there's a difference between passing and "creating".

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

I acknowledge Al is a good passer, but there's a difference between passing and "creating".

Absolutely agreed.  Mentioning Jason Kidd's ability to move defenders in the same breath as Al Horford is a joke.  

Al makes some solid passes to guys who get themselves open through cuts and screens, but he is not drawing a double in the paint or driving to shift a defense for a pass.

• Like 4

Hawks DEFINITELY need toughness. Its a shame that Cleveland has a GUARD, a GUARD that brings them toughness along with Mosgov and Thompson, while the Hawks sit back and LET Sap get manhandled every game.  They dont want Howard,  neither one of the Lopez brothers, ill throw another name out there.  ZEBO.  The Hawks play small up front anyway, why not have a REAL banger up there helping Sap.

7519memphis-grizzlies-zach-randolph-la-c

bnjn8rygbmqzakdkae38.gif

Zbo.gif

pho.0.gif

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Hawks DEFINITELY need toughness. Its a shame that Cleveland has a GUARD, a GUARD that brings them toughness along with Mosgov and Thompson, while the Hawks sit back and LET Sap get manhandled every game.  They NEED ZEBO:

Our answer is a rapidly declining 34 year old who's already under contract?  I'd take Millsap and Horford over Zbo any day.

• Premium Member

LMFAO!! Zbo???

Good grief... part of me actually would like to see some of these ridiculous moves happen so some of the posters on here would understand how foolish they are being. Horford may not be a "superstar" or "elite" or whatever, but if you guys think switching him for Zbo or Gasol or Howard is moving the needle for this squad you guys are truly clueless.