• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Based on what you know today, would you rather have had DMC or Splitter?

sturt

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Who's this Splitter i keep hearing about?

The guy is probable to make his NBA debut tonight. I heard he's supposed to be tall?

In all seriousness, I saw today that we are 15-8 with him and 6-7 without him. It is a little hard to figure out what this means without seeing who we played in all of those games or how much he actually contributed. It's still worth noting though.

• Like 1

I mean, I never want to speak ill of DeMarre but you got the sense that he's a guy that was hyper-aware that his shelf life was very limited what between being a career journeyman with a liver disease and all.  His motivations revolved more around securing as lucrative a deal as possible knowing that it would probably be unlikely he'd make it to the end of the deal fully healthy. 

But whatever, use hindsight, foresight, or whichever, the team clearly had a need for competent bigmen in the offseason and had more than enough assets from within and without to find a competent wing  rather than spend $60 mil on a 5th option.   That BudCox predominantly whiffed on the wing depth still doesn't make retaining DeMarre anymore sensible, Splitter has paid dividends when healthy and all that matters is his availability for the playoffs.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

I mean, I never want to speak ill of DeMarre but you got the sense that he's a guy that was hyper-aware that his shelf life was very limited what between being a career journeyman with a liver disease and all.  His motivations revolved more around securing as lucrative a deal as possible knowing that it would probably be unlikely he'd make it to the end of the deal fully healthy. 

But whatever, use hindsight, foresight, or whichever, the team clearly had a need for competent bigmen in the offseason and had more than enough assets from within and without to find a competent wing  rather than spend $60 mil on a 5th option.   That BudCox predominantly whiffed on the wing depth still doesn't make retaining DeMarre anymore sensible, Splitter has paid dividends when healthy and all that matters is his availability for the playoffs.

Don't look now but Hardaway is starting to find his game. Maybe our wing depth issue can yet get resolved.

10 hours ago, sturt said:

If you hadn't heard yet, this might make a difference in how you answer that question...

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/06/raptors-f-carroll-undergoes-arthroscopic-knee-surgery

2016-01-07_1545.png

I'd take Splitter. He'll be more valuable in the playoffs because of his size and toughness. Lopez, Tristan and Mozgov killed the Hawks in the playoffs last season. Al isn't as physical as Splitter.

A healthy Carroll won't stop LeBron. LeBron is going to get his numbers so overpaying to keep Carroll wouldn't be worth it.

The choice was between Millsap and DMC.  So the question should be would you prefer the combination of DMC and Splitter plus and extra $3mil (I'm assuming everything stays same, salary, injuries etc)  or Millsap and Splitter.

Millsap's career numbers that he's putting up would be hard to replace, it would mean Splitter would start with Al at the 4. Then Splitter and DMC would be missing games leaving us thin at SF and C.

Finally, Baze has been a more than adequate replacement. 

• Premium Member

I miss Demarre.  That guy brought more to the table than what the stats suggest which is why I don't care to much for the comparing of him and Bazemore.  However, I think he did the right thing for himself and the business side of things just made it impossible for him to remain here.

As far as Splitter goes, I think that was a good fall back move for where this team is right now.  Yes, he provides some size, defense and rebounding off the bench.  But he's also under contract for only one more season at 8 million per which helps to preserve flexibility.  Need that flexibility if they want a shot at getting better.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, cam1218 said:

The guy is probable to make his NBA debut tonight. I heard he's supposed to be tall?

In all seriousness, I saw today that we are 15-8 with him and 6-7 without him. It is a little hard to figure out what this means without seeing who we played in all of those games or how much he actually contributed. It's still worth noting though.

That means something for sure but to me it means that we have no backup centers outside of Splitter.   At least we didn't until Edy started playing.   So in 12 of the games that splitter was out our frontcourt rotation for entire games was Sap, Horford and Scott.    So I think that stat says more about our total lack of bigs (and Bud's unwillingness to play Edy (or Moose)) than showing much about Splitter.   Hopefully we will do something about it.  Brand could have really helped.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The choice was between Millsap and DMC.  So the question should be would you prefer the combination of DMC and Splitter plus and extra $3mil (I'm assuming everything stays same, salary, injuries etc)  or Millsap and Splitter.

Millsap's career numbers that he's putting up would be hard to replace, it would mean Splitter would start with Al at the 4. Then Splitter and DMC would be missing games leaving us thin at SF and C.

Finally, Baze has been a more than adequate replacement. 

Weeeeel, I agree more with @Jody23.  DMC brought more than the nimbers suggest.  Bazemore has played very well though and appears to be continually improving.  Perhaps what I'm seeing is the fact that Bazemore is a good starter while Kyle isn't starter-material right now.

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Weeeeel, I agree more with @Jody23.  DMC brought more than the nimbers suggest.  Bazemore has played very well though and appears to be continually improving.  Perhaps what I'm seeing is the fact that Bazemore is a good starter while Kyle isn't starter-material right now.

Agreed, DMC had a level.of maturity that Baze doesn't have yet.  He never was too high or too low,  very even keeled.

He understood quickly how to play off Al and Millsap.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Where Baze can't replace DMC is on the defensive end.  He doesn't have the size to check the same guys that DMC could.  Agree witih @JayBirdHawk's analysis above on DMC v Splitter being a red herring.

Which is why i just don't understand why Baze isn't the starting 2.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Which is why i just don't understand why Baze isn't the starting 2.  

Especially with Korver's struggles.  I think pretty much everyone on the Squawk wants to see more of Baze / Thabo.

• Like 1