• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best Strategy for Draft night?

Diesel

BPA. If you can get a player like Thon Maker, who already has great physical tools, competitiveness, and the drive to improve, you grab him. He's someone that either be really good starter or just decent (off the bench). Either way, I think he will earn a spot on someone's roster for the next 10 years.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

It really depends what you see in Denzel.... I see a future all star and potential NBA teamer 

idk if "teamer" is a word but I'm rolling with it

Even if he is a future All-NBA player, you can move up to where you need to be to take him for a lot less than Teague.

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

Even if he is a future All-NBA player, you can move up to where you need to be to take him for a lot less than Teague.

I don't see him as a future all NBA player and he's within our range. Splitter might be a move up option for him but not Jeff or Dennis 

• Moderators

My only strategy is mastering "Furriner" and "Stash" pronunciations thoroughly, before the draft party gets here.

I'm thrilled to discover that Zhou Qi doesn't rhyme with "dooky" (kinda like "Joakim" without the m, instead), so he's back on my list as of today. Furkan's name looks too much like an New Englander utterance when he turns the ball over... "Furkan' Korkmaz!", so I'm keeping him off my board until I can be sure it's pronounced like Rafael Furcal's... "fer-CAN".

https://nbabakka.blogspot.com/p/nba-players-pronunciation-guide.html

~lw3

47 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

My only strategy is mastering "Furriner" and "Stash" pronunciations thoroughly, before the draft party gets here.

I'm thrilled to discover that Zhou Qi doesn't rhyme with "dooky" (kinda like "Joakim" without the m, instead), so he's back on my list as of today. Furkan's name looks too much like an New Englander utterance when he turns the ball over... "Furkan' Korkmaz!", so I'm keeping him off my board until I can be sure it's pronounced like Rafael Furcal's... "fer-CAN".

~lw3

Lol ... furkan lethal strikes again. :laugh:

Ah well, I say if we stay at 21 we take a flier on that Thon Maker guy.  Most articulate pre-draft interview I heard all year.  

48 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

~lw3

It's funny you said that lw3, last week I stubbed my toe and out of the blue yelled ...FURKAN KORKMAZ...I swear no joke...I laughed afterwards too...it's literally crazy you posted that.

• Moderators
Just now, kg01 said:

Lol ... furkan lethal strikes again. :laugh:

Ah well, I say if we stay at 21 we take a flier on that Thon Maker guy.  Most articulate pre-draft interview I heard all year.  

A co-worker last week was like, "That Tonn McCare is gonna be a sleeper, just watch!" And I exclaimed, "Who the hell are you talking about?" just as the Boss Lady strolls into the conference room. Good times. Good times.

~lw3

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

A co-worker last week was like, "That Tonn McCare is gonna be a sleeper, just watch!" And I exclaimed, "Who the hell are you talking about?" just as the Boss Lady strolls into the conference room. Good times. Good times.

~lw3

I think Thon looks the part of a baller for sure. Remind me of what Garnett looked like on slam magazines back in 95, also Rasheed. Long and lanky, I'm a little worried though about the competition he has faced thus far. He would be a very anti Hawk pick in my opinion but who knows, maybe we are turning a corner and want to start drafting non Josh Childress ala fundamentally sound players and more guys like Thon that have a little street ball/swag in their games.

There are so many Mock draft and their isn't a consensus on who the Hawks should draft if they remain at #21.

It is very varied as well:

Thon Maker, Cheick Diallo,  Zizic and/or Zubac, Malichai, Bembry,  Juan Hernangomez, Prince, Valentine

On 6/17/2016 at 2:55 PM, Diesel said:

If I were to rank them.. they go this way:

5, 6, 2, 4, 3, 1.

I like some of the guys in the upper portion of the draft.   I don't know how well Budcox drafts in the middle round.   They scare me.  So going after Best Player available could give us another Adrien Payne.  A second round talent.   I mean, the year we picked Dennis, we also picked Bebe and we passed over:  Gobert, Hill,  and Crabbe. When we picked Payne, we passed over:  Hood, Cappella, Bogdanovich,  and Clarkson. 

I'm not saying that we can't draft.. I'm saying that the midrounds are tricky. 

Plus.. we need some right now talent. 

You won't say it but I will. WE CAN'T DRAFT. For every Dennis Schoeder and Jeff Teague they find (Horford was manna from Heaven and a Gearon pick), we end up drafting twice as many Adam Keefes, Al Woods, and Josh Childresses. 

Give me Option 6 all day long. We need to contend in 2017, not in 2024....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Whoever we get needs to be contributing and a regular rotation guy  from day 1.

I don't agree. We are not competing for anything next year realistically. We need to build for the next 2 or 3 years. The East is weak enough for us to still make the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I don't agree. We are not competing for anything next year realistically. We need to build for the next 2 or 3 years. The East is weak enough for us to still make the playoffs. 

You don't need to be competing for a ring next year for whoever we pick to contribute next season.  All it means is he's better that who's on the current roster .  even if we are building for the next 2-3 years playing and contributing now means he'll be better in those 2-3 years.

18 minutes ago, Dejay said:

You won't say it but I will. WE CAN'T DRAFT. For every Dennis Schoeder and Jeff Teague they find (Horford was manna from Heaven and a Gearon pick), we end up drafting twice as many Adam Keefes, Al Woods, and Josh Childresses. 

You're going there, DJ?  Are we doing this now?  Name that awful Hawks draft pick contest?

Give me Doug Edwards (who?  Exactly).

21 minutes ago, Dejay said:

One more time....WE SUCK AT DRAFTING.  We screwed the pooch on too many lottery picks and didn't get serviceable rotation players with our later 1st round picks.  There is no denying that no matter the spin.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

You're going there, DJ?  Are we doing this now?  Name that awful Hawks draft pick contest?

Give me Doug Edwards (who?  Exactly).

I have you outgunned, KG because I have Basketball Reference open in my browser. Give me Tom Henderson and Mike Sojourner in the first round. Why are they significant? Because we passed up effin' GEORGE GERVIN to draft them...