• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best Strategy for Draft night?

Diesel

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

It makes a lot of sense but I'm not gonna try and convince you because Teague and Millsap are your sacred cows. 

Please...

Tell me why Denver would like to trade away the 7th Pick in the draft for a 31 year old Power Forward who will opt out at the end of the season... When they have Kenneth Faried?   Faried is 26 years old.  Signed for 2 more years.   Plays strong around the basket and cost 8.5 Million less than Sap per year. 

Skim... Understand this.. you can try to make this about me... but FACTS are FACTS...  Denver would have to have the DUMBEST GM in the World to do what we want him to do...  It doesn't make sense for his franchise (AS I SAID)...  So we await your moment of brilliancy explaining how this does make sense. 

Malik Beasley should be the pick. If we were gaga  over Devon  Booker last year then Beasley  is a more athletic explosive version. He can put it on the floor  and hit floaters  already and can  yam too. He shot better from the field and shot damn near 39% from 3 as a freshman. He also was at Florida  State and not surrounded by  all Americans at every position and put up better numbers Imo. 5 rebounds  a game from a SG.

I can't figure out why this kid is so undervalued but I hope it's  real. Maybe it's the injury thing,  maybe  it's playing at state versus Duke, or perhaps not being a top prospect out of high school. I don't care what it is but we need to take advantage. Dude is a legit well rounded scorer with great feel for the game. 

But hey what do I know. I thought Bobby Portis was a great fit last year and I watched us pass on him and trade our pick for a player renovation project. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Please...

Tell me why Denver would like to trade away the 7th Pick in the draft for a 31 year old Power Forward who will opt out at the end of the season... When they have Kenneth Faried?   Faried is 26 years old.  Signed for 2 more years.   Plays strong around the basket and cost 8.5 Million less than Sap per year. 

Skim... Understand this.. you can try to make this about me... but FACTS are FACTS...  Denver would have to have the DUMBEST GM in the World to do what we want him to do...  It doesn't make sense for his franchise (AS I SAID)...  So we await your moment of brilliancy explaining how this does make sense. 

OK a couple reasons...

The nuggets are rumored to be working out players in the late teens.

As of now they are stacked with guys that need minutes at every position. Guys locked into next season and relatively young at every position.

Pg-mudiay/Nelson

Sg-barton/Harris

Sf-chandler/gallinari

Pf-faried/louvergne

C-jokic/nurkic

Talk around the league is the nuggets rather consolidate and go after an allstar like cousins(to reunite with malone) or Millsap. 

7 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

OK a couple reasons...

The nuggets are rumored to be working out players in the late teens.

As of now they are stacked with guys that need minutes at every position. Guys locked into next season and relatively young at every position.

Pg-mudiay/Nelson

Sg-barton/Harris

Sf-chandler/gallinari

Pf-faried/louvergne

C-jokic/nurkic

Talk around the league is the nuggets rather consolidate and go after an allstar like cousins(to reunite with malone) or Millsap. 

I would love the #7 pick. I believe this draft is 8 picks deep on all star talent. 

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

I would love the #7 pick. I believe this draft is 8 picks deep on all star talent. 

I agree. I can see bud falling in love with jaylen brown during workouts like he did with kawhi leonard and making a move to get him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skimaskway23 said:

I agree. I can see bud falling in love with jaylen brown during workouts like he did with kawhi leonard and making a move to get him. 

Yup...I live 40 minutes from Cal and got to see Jaylen play a lot live. The guy has a lot of Kawhi type skills. He is gonna be a beast if the right team can develop him. If he goes to a team with no development skills like the Nuggets or Kings then he could be in trouble. I think Bud can sculp him into an all star player in 3 years. 

hace 4 horas, ATLien_ dijo:

Malik Beasley should be the pick. If we were gaga  over Devon  Booker last year then Beasley  is a more athletic explosive version. He can put it on the floor  and hit floaters  already and can  yam too. He shot better from the field and shot damn near 39% from 3 as a freshman. He also was at Florida  State and not surrounded by  all Americans at every position and put up better numbers Imo. 5 rebounds  a game from a SG.

I can't figure out why this kid is so undervalued but I hope it's  real. Maybe it's the injury thing,  maybe  it's playing at state versus Duke, or perhaps not being a top prospect out of high school. I don't care what it is but we need to take advantage. Dude is a legit well rounded scorer with great feel for the game. 

But hey what do I know. I thought Bobby Portis was a great fit last year and I watched us pass on him and trade our pick for a player renovation project. 

Agreed on Malik Beasley, he should be our pick if we stay at 21

2 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Agreed on Malik Beasley, he should be our pick if we stay at 21

In my heart of hearts I don't really believe he'll  be there at 21 despite what the mocks say. If he's  gone I would draft Taurean  Prince  at 21 and make sure we come  away with Caris  Levert in the second even if we have to trade up. He's another guy that would be in the lottery without his injury history. Picking as late in the draft as we are you have to take chances to find a potential star.

Timothe Luwawu at 21 would be be nice too, but he's seemed to have raised his status into the lottery. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

The move would probably to to New Orleans for #6.  That makes more sense than Denver.   You made a lot of statements about what Denver is doing, but didn't make a case why they trade out of the lottery for a 31 year old PF.  They are not a team that is ready to compete so they would not give up on a 26 year old PF with 2 years left on his contract for a 31 year old PF who will opt out at the end of the season. 

The move to get Brown is simple.  Dennis/#21 to New Orleans for #6.

New Orleans needs a real PG so bad that it's killing them.   

When Pete Babcock watched the last of the Lenny Wilkens playoff teams gets blitzed by the Knicks in the 1999 playoffs, he made the decision to start over. Mookie and Smitty were traded as Babcock embarked on rebuilding.

It did not turn out well, as Kelly Dwyer lays out in Ball Don't Lie yesterday.

It took nine very long seasons to get back to the postseason, a stretch dotted with many failed first round picks, poor basketball and myriad punch-lines at the franchise's expense.

In the draft, the supposed golden challis for such putridity, for every Jason Terry and Josh Smith, there were a number of good guys who just couldn't make a positive impact on the Hawks rotation.

Such is the risk with letting go of that playoff run - one false lottery pick or bad free agent signing could limit the success of the franchise moving forward. LeBron James is a no-brainer at the top of a lottery, but there are many years where that's not the case. Few franchise saviors exist from one generation to another, which is why they are celebrated at the end of their careers with a Hall of Fame plaque.

Teams make mistakes in the draft and free agency, and those executives pay with their jobs when they are wrong. Miss on Chris Paul or have an unexplained affection forShelden Williams and the team suffers, no matter if Al Horford is your next pick. Those misses stunt the growth of the franchise and limit the ultimate upside of the team's climb.

The Hawks run with Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, Mike Woodson and Larry Drew peaked and now drifts into a new era with Danny Ferry at the controls, Mike Budenholzer on the bench and with only Al Horford as a core link to all of those teams.

They look like they will be a playoff caliber team again, stretching their postseason relevance to a likely seventh season and many executives will laud the ability to stay in the mix year after year while fans and the NBA Watchers will yawn at the averageness of the whole endeavor.

It's a success in that it's hard to win in the NBA and even harder to maintain that, season after season, especially when there is that lack of franchise player at the top of the roster. San Antonio has had an amazing run, but it helps greatly to build around David Robinson and then Tim Duncan, for sure.

I don't begrudge anyone for holding out the championship trophy as the only true measure of success - it's what you're supposed to be gunning for, to win it all. But just as I am not willing to toss out Dan Marino, Charles Barkley, Ernie Banks and the like for never winning it all, I am not willing to call these hard-working Hawks teams less than some form of success.

We've been saying this for how long? The sins of GMs past still haunt this franchise like a Poltergeist. I know, dead horse that's been beaten into pixie dust. And I know, Chris Paul hasn't made it out of the second round. But stuff like this is the chief reason why so many are against a total reboot. I've seen enough guys over the years who thought that they were the smartest man in the room (see Knight, William), only to do and say things that makes you wonder what credentials were actually needed to perform the job and where you send in a resume. When the bulk of fans (not scouts, not coaches, but FANS) on a forum like this can see that Josh Childress was a bust, that Marvin Williams is average at best, and Shelden Williams' wife is a much better player but the GM cannot, well, what else can be stated? It's not to say that Bud will make the same boneheaded moves that Kasten, Babs, and Knight did but the spotlight is on him to deliver the goods...   

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

The move would probably to to New Orleans for #6.  That makes more sense than Denver.   You made a lot of statements about what Denver is doing, but didn't make a case why they trade out of the lottery for a 31 year old PF.  They are not a team that is ready to compete so they would not give up on a 26 year old PF with 2 years left on his contract for a 31 year old PF who will opt out at the end of the season. 

The move to get Brown is simple.  Dennis/#21 to New Orleans for #6.

New Orleans needs a real PG so bad that it's killing them.   

Nope. The Denver rumors have backing. The new Orleans stuff you are talking about has none, it just makes sense to you. I'm also not surprised you put dennis in that trade seeing as you are a teague fanboy

• Like 1

Hope the Hawks do actually attempt to pick in this year's first round but I hope y'all do realize that it doesn't matter what shiny rookie they pick, they're going to chill on the bench for a minimum of half of the season. So I wouldn't complain, its something normal for whatever reason.

In all seriousness, here's my board of who I'd be interested in if no attempt is made to move up (no order):

Taurean Prince

Malik Beasley

Thon Maker (project)

If none of the above are available, trade the pick away.

The elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about is Millsap.  We are scared to give horford the max but what lies ahead is way worse.

Millsap signed a 3 yr deal last summer with the intent of voiding his last year. After next season he is going to want an even bigger contract than horford due to the cap rising again. Before we get to that point, we have to trade him while his value is peaked. This franchise does not need it's arm twisted into giving Millsap a 200 million dollar deal in 2017. We can keep horford but Millsap has got to go! 

And I love Millsap. I just don't want that burden on our franchise. He could net us a ton of youth while keeping a lot of our key players.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

The elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about is Millsap.  We are scared to give horford the max but what lies ahead is way worse.

Millsap signed a 3 yr deal last summer with the intent of voiding his last year. After next season he is going to want an even bigger contract than horford due to the cap rising again. Before we get to that point, we have to trade him while his value is peaked. This franchise does not need it's arm twisted into giving Millsap a 200 million dollar deal in 2017. We can keep horford but Millsap has got to go! 

And I love Millsap. I just don't want that burden on our franchise. He could net us a ton of youth while keeping a lot of our key players.

I love SAP too but I'd try and deal him. He stops our flow of the game. I don't like his slow shot release. We need a quicker PF. Not quickness like with steals because SAP is obvious tops at that but just with decision making and game flow. 

I understand that rebuilding sucks but I think we have enough assets to retool really well.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

I agree with this but there were some rumors of him having a rod in his leg. I hope it's not true.

30 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I agree with this but there were some rumors of him having a rod in his leg. I hope it's not true.

I heard about the rod too, but we need to take risk. This is the same logic that had us draft  Sheldon Williams  over Brandon Roy. Billy Knight ended up being right on Roy but he had an amazing 5 ish year run where he was one of the better players in the NBA. I would take that over 10 years of the Landlord any day. 

If anyone  can play with a rod in their leg I'll bet on the 19 year old to recover. If he didn't have this  issue he wouldn't be available to us at 21, and he still may not be. 

27 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

If anyone  can play with a rod in their leg I'll bet on the 19 year old to recover. If he didn't have this  issue he wouldn't be available to us at 21, and he still may not be.

Huh?

He probably shouldn't be, but for the most part with some exceptions he's been mocked regularly at 20-30 even before those news of a rod came out. I saw some earlier that had him at 15-18, but most have had him low in the first round from the beginning. If you're surprised, I agree honestly.

Edited by Lurker