• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best Strategy for Draft night?

Diesel

• Premium Member

1.  Ditch the Pick  and save the money for a FA.  -maybe trade for future picks or a Player to be hidden in Europe.

2.  Trade the Pick for an experienced Junior player.   -Similar to the THJr pick last year. 

3.  Pick the Best Player Available.  - Whoever that may be.

4.  Pick a Solid Sf or a solid C.  - Need specific.

5.  Use the Pick and other assets to trade up for a Better pick. 

6.  Use the Pick and other assets to trade for a good vet. 

Which of these Philosophies or another would you ascribe to for this draft night?

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ties go to filling position needs.

If I were to rank them.. they go this way:

5, 6, 2, 4, 3, 1.

I like some of the guys in the upper portion of the draft.   I don't know how well Budcox drafts in the middle round.   They scare me.  So going after Best Player available could give us another Adrien Payne.  A second round talent.   I mean, the year we picked Dennis, we also picked Bebe and we passed over:  Gobert, Hill,  and Crabbe. When we picked Payne, we passed over:  Hood, Cappella, Bogdanovich,  and Clarkson. 

I'm not saying that we can't draft.. I'm saying that the midrounds are tricky. 

Plus.. we need some right now talent. 

• Moderators

There is no right answer.  It depends on what is available in trade, who is on the board, etc.  My default strategy would be best player.  Take Gobert.  Take Hood.  Get someone who can play for  years.

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

1.  Ditch the Pick  and save the money for a FA.  -maybe trade for future picks or a Player to be hidden in Europe.

2.  Trade the Pick for an experienced Junior player.   -Similar to the THJr pick last year. 

4.  Pick a Solid Sf or a solid C.  - Need specific.

5.  Use the Pick and other assets to trade up for a Better pick. 

6.  Use the Pick and other assets to trade for a good vet. 

Which of these Philosophies or another would you ascribe to for this draft night?

Draft BPA. With nearly the whole team going to be free agents next summer, definitely need to think about the future. 

Dennis will still be in the NBA in 10 years. I can't say the same about the rest of the roster.

Edited by BigDog90
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

If I were to rank them.. they go this way:

5, 6, 2, 4, 3, 1.

I like some of the guys in the upper portion of the draft.   I don't know how well Budcox drafts in the middle round.   They scare me.  So going after Best Player available could give us another Adrien Payne.  A second round talent.   I mean, the year we picked Dennis, we also picked Bebe and we passed over:  Gobert, Hill,  and Crabbe. When we picked Payne, we passed over:  Hood, Cappella, Bogdanovich,  and Clarkson. 

I'm not saying that we can't draft.. I'm saying that the midrounds are tricky. 

Plus.. we need some right now talent. 

Yeah, the draft is risky.  Personally, I wish Bud stay away from older players. With the exception of Dennis, under Ferry and Bud, all their guys were juniors and seniors.

31 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Send our pick and an asset like Hardaway,Splitter,or Teague to move up just enough to ensure that we get Denzel Valentine. 

I read Valentine has knee issues, some believe could be similar to Danny Granger.  He may not even be drafted in the first round now.

Valentine & Ulis News

Not good news for Ulis either, who I want us to draft.

Edited by bird_dirt
add link

5 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

I read Valentine has knee issues, some believe could be similar to Danny Granger.  He may not even be drafted in the first round now.

Valentine & Ulis News

Not good news for Ulis either, who I want us to draft.

Ok so we're gonna pass up on the man who was snubbed the Player of the year title last season in college bball because of a knee problem? No sir, I'll take a young Danny granger type player all day in this system. Don't forget Granger was an all star before his career went down the crapper if he could just give us some of that in his tenure here we'd be right back atop the east

9 hours ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Ok so we're gonna pass up on the man who was snubbed the Player of the year title last season in college bball because of a knee problem? No sir, I'll take a young Danny granger type player all day in this system. Don't forget Granger was an all star before his career went down the crapper if he could just give us some of that in his tenure here we'd be right back atop the east

I did explicitly say that.  Sure I'd be weary of him, but he could certainly be a net gain for the right price.  

I'm just saying don't trade away assets and move up to select him if there's a strong likelihood that he will drop to us anyway.   Hell, if Budcox thinks the other GMs are overstating the injury, there's a chance we could trade down to pick up another asset and still draft him.

5 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

I did explicitly say that.  Sure I'd be weary of him, but he could certainly be a net gain for the right price.  

I'm just saying don't trade away assets and move up to select him if there's a strong likelihood that he will drop to us anyway.   Hell, if Budcox thinks the other GMs are overstating the injury, there's a chance we could trade down to pick up another asset and still draft him.

I meant to say "I *didn't* explicitly say that", but past time for edit function.

16 hours ago, Mdizzle5 said:

The Hawks don't really have any sort of strategery.

Oooooooohhh, okay.....

• Moderators
On June 17, 2016 at 5:48 PM, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Send our pick and an asset like Hardaway,Splitter,or Teague to move up just enough to ensure that we get Denzel Valentine. 

Teague is worth way more than that.

• Like 3