• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Bud trial happening now (update: NOT GUILTY of DUI!)

macdaddy

In all seriousness (really!) I know I am not the poster child for being in good condition, but in a chiropractic evaluation, I couldn't keep my balance with eyes closed or open, walking putting one foot in front of and up against the other.  The chiropractor laughed and said, I hope you don't have to have a sobriety test anytime soon!

Maybe Bud just has bad balance.

Edited by Watchman

• Moderators

^lol!

JBH, I just peeked at WSB's brief replay (maybe about 10-15 seconds) of the DUI one-foot balance test. Bud was weeble-wobbly, but it wasn't like he was falling all over the place. It looked more like nerves to me (guy in new town with big new job suddenly having to do stand on one foot for a cop with his future potentially on the line kind of nerves) than the undue effects of alcohol kicking in. Of course, I'm looking at this with Volt Green-tinted glasses.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If Bud is found guilty, what's his punishment - from the State and the League?

Back in 2013, J-Kidd's guilty plea drew him a couple games' suspension.

Bud not pleading guilt and being found guilty anyway might tack on a couple more games to it.

As for the law, max jail time is up to one year, plus up to $1,000 in fines, community service, and a suspended driver's license (he rides MARTA anyway so he'd be cool with that). I presume there'd be some mandatory schooling from one of the state's certified DUI schools as well.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/faqs/index.aspx?faqcategoryid=13

~lw3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is there a video of the test?

Eureka! Here's WSB-TV's news report on it from last week, with the video:

http://www.wsbtv.com/video/local-video/defense-calls-witnesses-in-hawks-coach-dui-trial_20160623202059/359519223

You'll see Bud's hokey-pokey test right at about 1:10 into the report, about ten seconds' worth of it. I had guessed right on the location where this traffic stop went down, right behind Margaret Mitchell House off 10th Street. But I guessed wrong on where they had their repast. I assumed he was partying down in Midtown, but the restaurant is up in Buckhead. (Local Three! Classy, Danny, classy!) Bud was heading back to his hotel somewhere intown when he was stopped by the cop for the allegedly busted taillight.

~lw3

• Moderators

I forgot we went through this back in 2013, but here's the difference...

https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=21112

Another DUI charge can result even if a driver was under a specific blood alcohol content level. This is referred to as “DUI Less Safe” in Georgia. This charge is not dependent on evidence of the driver’s blood alcohol content level. Instead, a person can be arrested for this offense if a law enforcement officer believes that the driver is a less safe driver because of alcohol consumption. 

This type of charge may result when law enforcement arrested someone and gave a blood alcohol content test but the driver tested under .08. Another common reason for this charge to arise is when the driver refuses to submit to a breath, blood or urine test.

Because DUI Less Safe is more of a subjective charge that does not rely on more accepted objective evidence as DUI Per Se cases, they are usually tried more often than DUI Per Se cases. The prosecution has the burden of proving the extent of the driver’s impairment beyond a reasonable doubt. It may present evidence such as the driver’s erratic behavior, odor of alcohol, slurred speech or other indications of being under the influence of alcohol. 

~lw3

I’d need some more information to be for sure, but from as unbiased a viewpoint as I can get, I’d let him off with a fine and community service. That amount of wine (and I’m not really speaking from my personal experience, but from what I’ve seen) doesn’t impair you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Watchman said:

If found guilty, he must play Humphries at least 15 minutes in every game, and pickup garbage off the side of the road.

Couldn't agree more. If the Cavs series was any indication than play him twenty five minutes. We were one rebound or one shot from one win anyway.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I’d need some more information to be for sure, but from as unbiased a viewpoint as I can get, I’d let him off with a fine and community service. That amount of wine (and I’m not really speaking from my personal experience, but from what I’ve seen) doesn’t impair you.

Not bragging believe me but I would know from quite a bit of personal experience and your right.

• Moderators

"DUI LESS SAFE WAS THE CASE THAT THEY GAVE ME..."

One of the good things about ATL (only in situations like this one) is we don't have TimeWarner-style 24-hour Local News outlets, or multiple competing newspapers, or round-the-clock hoops-obsessed local TV channels. Otherwise we'd probably have hyper-coverage and multiple panels of "experts" dissecting every legal maneuver. The local sports radio stations aren't chatting this thing up at all, although they certainly will if the jury comes back with a certain finding.

~lw3

• Like 1

From Bud on the stand:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/atlanta-hawks-coach-mike-budenholzer-takes-stand-in-dui-trial/367659908

C'mon Bud, we all know you just got that pimp gait....goin' to Drake concerts and whatnot.

• Like 1