• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Bud trial happening now (update: NOT GUILTY of DUI!)

macdaddy

So I'm hoping Mike Scott has the same lawyers as Coach Bud even thought the offense is really quite different. We're still talking about Hawks here and it looks like Mike took the heat for his brother, right or wrong. But then I'm not a judge or a court of law so we'll see what happens later. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So  don't take a breathalizer?

Just my opinion, but my hunch would be to say, "No, Thank You, Officer".

When it comes to drinking and driving, I'm a guy that does very little of either action, so my personal risk of a traffic stop is low. Still, there just seems like too much that can go wrong if you do take it... that cough medicine you forgot about taking, for example.

Even if you took it, and passed it with flying colors, the cops might still try to come up with something punitive to justify the traffic stop. And states like Georgia have this "DUI Less Safe" thing in place for ensnaring drivers in just these kinds of cases, where your breath results have you Under the Limit, but they don't want to just send you on your way with a ticket.

One of my buds had his license taken on-the-spot for "laughing" in his car while awaiting the breath results... to calm him down while we waited for that plus the background checks, I cracked an unrelated joke that he laughed at, and the GSP, watching from the car behind us, found that to be disrespectful. Protect and Serve, baby! Another was given the Inquisition over suggestions he had the "faint smell of marijuana" in his car (Actual Q: "So, why do you have rolls of paper towels in your back seat?"). This, only after they could not verify their initial "strong smell of alcohol" with a breath test.

Yes, you definitely go to jail for refusing the test, and while it will be costly, you can lawyer that thing down from there, rather than from something worse. Also noteworthy, the Supremes just ruled that cops/jailers cannot do compulsory blood draws on you if you refuse the breath test... so by the time you go to jail, all they can have on you is the cops' visual/video evidence and (if they bother to do it) your compulsory breath results at the jail, results that are likely to be lower with the time delay.

~lw3

• Like 3

• Moderators

Praise Be to Danny for his testimony, and for the Defense lawyers pushing to make sure he could be present for the trial. His presence essentially confirmed for the jury that there's no way he would stick his own neck out to hire a personal friend, take him out to a fancy dinner to celebrate his arrival in a new city, then send him off into the night driving drunk.

~lw3

No driving in any town required for an older non coach like myself. Red wine while cooking dinner with Angela, eating dinner and sometimes enjoying life to this point so far after dinner, but then circumstances rule the day. No driving for us at that point of the night. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Listening to the guys on 680... 

Hillarious.  First.. He lied about how many drinks he had.  Secondly, he's not a man's man drinking a white wine spritzer...

Should have tied him down and made him watch all the Cleveland series. 

23 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

"DUI LESS SAFE WAS THE CASE THAT THEY GAVE ME..."

One of the good things about ATL (only in situations like this one) is we don't have TimeWarner-style 24-hour Local News outlets, or multiple competing newspapers, or round-the-clock hoops-obsessed local TV channels. Otherwise we'd probably have hyper-coverage and multiple panels of "experts" dissecting every legal maneuver. The local sports radio stations aren't chatting this thing up at all, although they certainly will if the jury comes back with a certain finding.

~lw3

uh CNN is still here right?  Or did move already?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

uh CNN is still here right?  Or did move already?

yeah they're still breathing! But I noted "24-hour LOCAL News", so unless there's a tornado blowing through or a kid in a hot car somewhere, there's not much coverage of ATL stuff.

I should add that not only is CNN/HLN a few blocks away from the Courthouse, but whatever it is that became of Turner's CourtTV (truTV?) is six traffic lights up the street from them. None of them found time to bring a camera downtown, either.

~lw3

• Like 1