• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks agree to terms with Bazemore 4 years 70 mIllion

NBASupes

5 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

We still need some real talent on the bench or we are going to be leaning heavily on Bembry and Prince. I still haven't seen anything from THJr that'll suggest he will be in the league after this contract. We would need a backup C if we drop Splitter. Mike Scott is the only PF we've got on the bench.

We need to sign Humphries and Jack 

• Like 1

hace 42 minutos, NBASupes dijo:

Considering all it takes for us to keep Al is trading several cheap no needed anymore players like Tim and Splitter.  Cutting Scott. I think all of us feel good about retaining Al's services.

We are not keeping Millsap, Al, and D12. We could also get some money (not a lot, I would want a starter SF in return) for Millsap...

Let me see if I can make some sense of this.

Howard 3 years 70.5 million. Raises of 4.5% annual. Approximate deal is:

year 1 - $22.4 million, year 2 - 23.5 million, year 3 - 24.6 million.

Bazemore 4 years at 70 million. Don't own bird rights so 4.5% annual raises. Approximate deal is:

years 1 - $16.45 million, year 2 - 17.2 million, year 3 - 17.95 million, year 4 -18.4 million.

Roster with current players minus expendables. For cap purposes, year 1 is all that matters. Numbers are approximates.

Howard - 22.4 million (*year one).

Millsap - 20.07 million

Baze - 16.45 million (*year one)

Schröder - 2.71 million

THj - 2.28 million

Moose - 1.02 million

Edy - 1 million

Patterson - .88 million

Prince - 1.93 million

Bembry - 1.2 million

Total - 69.94 million - 10 slots filled, cap room left - 24.06 million.

Others 

Splitter - 8.25 million

Korver - 5.24 million

Thabo - 4 million

Scott - 3.33 million

Now it is no secret that Scott's contract is not guaranteed. He will be released pending his legal issues.

Al's cap hold is 18 million. So the remaining salaries have to fit within 24.06 million minus 18 million in order for the Howard and Baze signings to be legit.  This means that all 3 of Splitter, Thabo, Scott must go.  We must find trade partners for Splitter and Thabo, Scott must be waived.

So add Korver @5.24 and Horford at $18 million and you have 12 roster slots and for the purposes of signing contracts (13 contracts) need to add in one vet min contract hold and are just barely under the $94 million cap.  So far...everything is ducky.

Now for the purposes of the cap you can resign Horford to a max deal @ $24.9 million. New salary total is: 100.08 million. with 3 slots to fill. You now have an MLE and an 8.8 million traded player exception. I am assumiing the traded player exception is what was used to sign Howard which now explains the Jeff Teague trade. So we really only have the MLE  ($5.63) and bi-annual exceptions ($2.5).

The rest of the roster then gets filled at 1 MLE player, 1 BAE player and 1 vet minimum.

Because of the mechanisms in place, the Hawks only need to drop 2 of Splitter/Korver/Thabo..not all 3. Dropping all 3 results in having to sign a vet min to replace...one is staying for sure.  Okay so after tall that, the existing roster (assuming all resigns) looks like this.

Schoeder/MLE/Vet min

Baze/THj/Bembry/Patterson

Millsap/Korver/Prince

Horford/Moose

Howard/Edy/BAE (bi-annual exception)

This puts the Hawks at approximately $110 million in salary and well into the Luxury Tax.

Year 2, the salaries of Korver, Muscala, Patterson come off the books, as well as the contracts of the vet mins and exception (one year) signed players and Millsap can opt out. Meaning that the Hawks can avoid the double penalty year 2 with the cap.

Okay, so although that roster looks guard heavy...lets remember than in rotations, Millsap will spend time at the 4 making Moose the 3rd string, Horford will spend time at the 5 making Eddy 3rd string at center. Patterson and THj are both emergency point guards as well, but a starting 5 of Dennis, Baze, Sap, Horford, Howard is easily a top 5 defensive unit in the east. The Hawks will be a pick and roll/ pick and pop nightmare for most teams. Dennis needs to continue improving his shooting and the rookies need to develop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Let me see if I can make some sense of this.

Howard 3 years 70.5 million. Raises of 4.5% annual. Approximate deal is:

year 1 - $22.4 million, year 2 - 23.5 million, year 3 - 24.6 million.

Bazemore 4 years at 70 million. Don't own bird rights so 4.5% annual raises. Approximate deal is:

years 1 - $16.45 million, year 2 - 17.2 million, year 3 - 17.95 million, year 4 -18.4 million.

Roster with current players minus expendables. For cap purposes, year 1 is all that matters. Numbers are approximates.

Howard - 22.4 million (*year one).

Millsap - 20.07 million

Baze - 16.45 million (*year one)

Schröder - 2.71 million

THj - 2.28 million

Moose - 1.02 million

Edy - 1 million

Patterson - .88 million

Prince - 1.93 million

Bembry - 1.2 million

Total - 69.94 million - 10 slots filled, cap room left - 24.06 million.

Others 

Splitter - 8.25 million

Korver - 5.24 million

Thabo - 4 million

Scott - 3.33 million

Now it is no secret that Scott's contract is not guaranteed. He will be released pending his legal issues.

Al's cap hold is 18 million. So the remaining salaries have to fit within 24.06 million minus 18 million in order for the Howard and Baze signings to be legit.  This means that all 3 of Splitter, Thabo, Scott must go.  We must find trade partners for Splitter and Thabo, Scott must be waived.

So add Korver @5.24 and Horford at $18 million and you have 12 roster slots and for the purposes of signing contracts (13 contracts) need to add in one vet min contract hold and are just barely under the $94 million cap.  So far...everything is ducky.

Now for the purposes of the cap you can resign Horford to a max deal @ $24.9 million. New salary total is: 100.08 million. with 3 slots to fill. You now have an MLE and an 8.8 million traded player exception. I am assumiing the traded player exception is what was used to sign Howard which now explains the Jeff Teague trade. So we really only have the MLE  ($5.63) and bi-annual exceptions ($2.5).

The rest of the roster then gets filled at 1 MLE player, 1 BAE player and 1 vet minimum.

Because of the mechanisms in place, the Hawks only need to drop 2 of Splitter/Korver/Thabo..not all 3. Dropping all 3 results in having to sign a vet min to replace...one is staying for sure.  Okay so after tall that, the existing roster (assuming all resigns) looks like this.

Schoeder/MLE/Vet min

Baze/THj/Bembry/Patterson

Millsap/Korver/Prince

Horford/Moose

Howard/Edy/BAE (bi-annual exception)

This puts the Hawks at approximately $110 million in salary and well into the Luxury Tax.

Year 2, the salaries of Korver, Muscala, Patterson come off the books, as well as the contracts of the vet mins and exception (one year) signed players and Millsap can opt out. Meaning that the Hawks can avoid the double penalty year 2 with the cap.

Okay, so although that roster looks guard heavy...lets remember than in rotations, Millsap will spend time at the 4 making Moose the 3rd string, Horford will spend time at the 5 making Eddy 3rd string at center. Patterson and THj are both emergency point guards as well, but a starting 5 of Dennis, Baze, Sap, Horford, Howard is easily a top 5 defensive unit in the east. The Hawks will be a pick and roll/ pick and pop nightmare for most teams. Dennis needs to continue improving his shooting and the rookies need to develop.

Hell, Millsap and Horford both will need to become much more effective from the perimeter. Even if we get rid of one, whoever we keep will have to become reliable from 3 for spacing purposes.

6 hours ago, hazer said:

Who says we haven't? We have Al's bird rights, can go over the cap to re-sign him, he'll be the LAST announcement. The players we're signing and trading will get that info up front in the pitch, we won't until the dust settles. You're a vet @capstone21, I know you already know this. Relax  :Horford:

I think Bazemore took $2M less because he heard the plan to bring Horford back, and maybe Horford agreed to it in principle.  Why else is he taking the weekend to think over his options?

He is giving us time to trade players and clear room for him. Bazemore had to take less money to make the plan work.  

6 hours ago, hazer said:

Who says we haven't? We have Al's bird rights, can go over the cap to re-sign him, he'll be the LAST announcement. The players we're signing and trading will get that info up front in the pitch, we won't until the dust settles. You're a vet @capstone21, I know you already know this. Relax  :Horford:

Makes sense with Al taking some time to think it over and I really do hope that's how it goes down.

One last thought on this. For the purposes of the cap, you have to have a minimum number of players on the roster. For every players under 13 you have to add $525k to your cap total before signing other players. There are posters on the board upset about picking up Moose's option or re'uping Patterson.  Moose is only a million dollars. His effective cap difference is then just $475,000. Patterson is $875,000 so his cap difference is only $350,000. These are not bad moves. For the purposes of the cap, picking up Moose's option early is a net win by avoiding the cap hold..same with Patterson.

2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Bazemore at the 2 is a good player. 17 Million dollars apparently is the going rate for good players these days lol. 

Evan Turner played off the bench last season  in Boston and got the same deal. Let that sink in.

No complaints about these salaries from me. Get your money guys.

Why Bazemore chose to re-sign with Atlanta

Kent Bazemore spent a lot of time by himself as he weighed the options in the biggest decision of his basketball career.

He went for a run. He played some golf.

The Hawks small forward had much to think about as an unrestricted free agent. He wanted to remain in Atlanta, where he blossomed over the last two seasons. However, Houston made a most compelling pitch for his services. He did consult with those close to him – his fiancé, parents and advisors.

After all the introspection, the Hawks’ four-year, $70 million contract was more than enough for Bazemore. He turned down four-year, $72 million deals from the Rockets and Lakers. The Rockets’ case was cause for pause.

The Baze Gaze remains in Atlanta.

“Pressure free right now,” Bazemore told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Saturday of his decision. “I felt like it was the right decision. It would have been tough to leave Atlanta. As a player in order to grow I think you have to be comfortable. You have to be comfortable with your organization and the people around you. My life has gone the right direction in Atlanta – on and off the court. It’s a great fit. I’m beyond elated. For me to be able to stay in Atlanta is one of the best things that ever happened to me.”

Re-signing Bazemore was labeled “huge” be a person inside the Hawks organization.

Bazemore, who turned 27 of Friday, has gone from an undrafted player and on three teams in two years to a key part of a successful franchise in four seasons.

Bazemore got engaged this summer and said his fiancé loves Atlanta. His parents wanted to make sure he signed for the right reasons and wasn’t just chasing a dollar. The North Carolina native adopted the city and the city embraced him. He quickly became a fan favorite and appreciated by his teammates. Bazemore started his charitable foundation, ARMS, in Atlanta. A fact he admitted would be awkward if he left.

“I was out there just weighing all the options,” Bazemore said of his alone time. “I’m proud of myself for being efficient in my thinking process. I went through the pros and cons of everything. Atlanta made me a great deal. I’m just so happy, so very happy.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/why-bazemore-chose-to-re-sign-with-atlanta/nrrRY/