• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Most Hated By Hawks Fans - Nominations Thread

AHF

40 minutes ago, pimp said:

Cool before and after picture.
After playing 1 game , he spent the rest of the year sitting on the bench in a suit and tie.

@pimp wins the internet today, lol.

• Moderators

I got another low-key nomination for the NBA Division.

gary.payton.celtics.png

Maybe the most mishandled Glove (outside of Brentwood) ever? Got traded here in mid-season by Boston, didn't want to play here with the sorry Hawks (NBA-worst record at 10-45), got waived, immediately RETURNED to Boston as a now-free agent 8 days after getting traded away by them, helped them win a Division Title, became a free agent in the summer, signed with Atlanta's division foe, the heat, and helped Shaq 'n Wade win an NBA title.

It's not all GP's fault, though. Billy Knight was a master at creating NBA champions for other teams.

~lw3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

4 years later, Barkley was right on the money about the Hawks .... again.

People make fun of Sir Charles cause he talks slow and drags his words , but think about it for a second , is he ever wrong in the long run? People just hate him sometimes because he may be talking about your teams lack of talent , shooting , defense etc etc. 

Charles knows his shit

• Like 2

Larry Drew is number one on my ish list. This moron single handedly set forth the events that kept the Danny Ferry core from fulfilling its true championship potential.

Follow me.

Firstly, the offseason we were going hire coach Bud Larry Drew was still under contract until after the Draft, but asked to be released early so he could pursue a new coaching job. I'm sure the Hawks expected him to get an assistant coaching opportunity. Thanks to the incompetence of the Bucks he gets their head  coaching job. He proceeds to draft  Giannis Antetokounmpo whom he knew was number one on the Hawks board one pick before us. We did Drew a solid and he screws us. This denied us of our Superstar slash Kawahi Leonard clone that completes our Spurs east  core. We end up with Bebe and Schröder instead of Giannis and Schröder. I realize we drafted  Dennis after Bebe, but many speculated at the time we did it just to humble Dennis since we owned back to back picks. Now I have to watch Giannis get developed by a mental midget that wants to put a guy with 7 foot plus wing span at PG instead  of coach Bud. He'll  never maximize his potential there and small forward is still an issue for the Hawks. 

Secondly, because we had a Giannis size hole at SF Danny Ferry saw fit to pursue Luol Deng. This free agent pursuit lead to the now infamous "a little  African in him" comments that set the franchise back atleast one year, and caused a tons of negative publicity for the team. We have a better ownership group, but I would rather have Giannis. We went from one of the most experienced front offices to the least over night. Which is likely why we don't move Teague and maybe Al sooner get more for  them. One thing we can  all agree on is Ferry was not afraid to move big name players. 

Lastly, I want to punch Larry Drew's face everytime I see it. I know we can't be 100% certain everything would have went down like I described. However, if this was Mythbusters, then I feel confident my narrative would be deemed plausible. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Don't really have a player(tho Horford  is well on his way)but I do have flawed tendencies by Hawk players that drove me insane.  Josh Smith's bone headed plays takes the cake. Then it's JJ's lazy jumper followed by what I now know was the early signs of Babycakes syndrome.... Horford 's hand clapping after a missed shot was funny and troubling at the same time.     

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pimp said:

babcock
Rider
Manning
Jon Koncak
Christian Laettner
billy knight
Bob Weiss
Wilbon
The Celtics commentators 

Why on Earth would anyone hate Koncak or Laettner from their Hawk days?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

Don't really have a player(tho Horford  is well on his way)but I do have flawed tendencies by Hawk players that drove me insane.  Josh Smith's bone headed plays takes the cake. Then it's JJ's lazy jumper followed by what I now know was the early signs of Babycakes syndrome.... Horford 's hand clapping after a missed shot was funny and troubling at the same time.     

This final 'pole' list will be so much fun...I'll add  'Jab jab jab jab jabber step'

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

Koncak was referred to by many Atlanta fans as Jon Contract and viewed as stealing money from the franchise.  For him it is about opportunity cost - who we could have drafted instead of him (Karl Malone, Detlef Schremph, Chris Mullin, Charles Oakley, Joe Dumars, etc.) and who we could have paid all that money to instead of him.

For Laettner, I think it has to be a punch face thing.  He didn't do anything as a Hawk to warrant listing either in terms of bad play, bad acts off the court or screwing the team over in contract talks.   Just punchable face.

SMH, ol' contrary asz Duff_Man again. :happy:

@AHF explained the "hate" well.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Koncak was referred to by many Atlanta fans as Jon Contract and viewed as stealing money from the franchise.  For him it is about opportunity cost - who we could have drafted instead of him (Karl Malone, Detlef Schremph, Chris Mullin, Charles Oakley, Joe Dumars, etc.) and who we could have paid all that money to instead of him.

For Laettner, I think it has to be a punch face thing.  He didn't do anything as a Hawk to warrant listing either in terms of bad play, bad acts off the court or screwing the team over in contract talks.   Just punchable face.

I'm still mad at the Pistons for offering Koncak that huge contact....or I'm mad we had to match it...I think at the time in 1989 or90 it was like 3 years and 21 million or something...I just know it was a lot for back then....whyyyyyyyy

My friends in elementary school and junior high would make fun of the fact that I was a Hawks fan because of Koncak...saying we had a great team but that we were like a donut...hole in the middle...

Spud

Rivers

Koncak

Nique

Willis

Thats ur classic glazed donut :-(

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I'm still mad at the Pistons for offering Koncak that huge contact....or I'm mad we had to match it...I think at the time in 1989 or90 it was like 3 years and 21 million or something...I just know it was a lot for back then....whyyyyyyyy

http://www.si.com/vault/1989/11/06/8076025/millions-from-heaven-the-atlanta-hawks-jon-koncak-was-a-center-of-little-renown----averaging-62-points-and-61-rebounds-career----until-he-signed-a-six-year-contract-worth-13-million-now-other-lesser-nba-players-sh

6 years 13 million.  2.2M per year basically at a time when Jordan, Magic and Bird made 2.5-3M per season.

And here is some crazy s#*$& from the article:

Still, such is the demand for big men in the league that the Pistons offered him the wacky amount of $2.5 million for one year. "We were only going to ask for two million," says Koncak, still amazed. Had Koncak accepted the offer and Atlanta not matched it, he would have been an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season and able to search freely for some really big dough from any team. But Atlanta raised the bid with its six-year deal, and Koncak opted for instant millionairehood rather than more gambling.

"You just don't let assets of yours walk away and get nothing back for it," said Atlanta coach Mike Fratello, once Koncak was safely back with the Hawks.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

There you go...I thought my figures were off I just remember the salary being insane for his talents...I'm guessing the Pistons wanted to sign him because of the Mahorn expansion draft loss to Minny. Dang, I wish they got him. 

Its funny to see the $ amount back then vs now. You can't even get a 10th man in the NBA for 2.5 million now.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Its funny to see the $ amount back then vs now. You can't even get a 10th man in the NBA for 2.5 million now.

Be careful what you say -- our backup PG is getting considerably less than 2.5M per season and if he isn't in the 10 man rotation we are in trouble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Be careful what you say -- our backup PG is getting considerably less than 2.5M per season and if he isn't in the 10 man rotation we are in trouble.

That's true...lol.

I found it funny that Isiah Thomas also said this at the end of the article you sent...to him I say..."Go borrow a cup of sugar from ur neighbor"....lol

image.png