• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anybody listened to the Shaq/Dwight podcast?

BigDog90

http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=779&pid=1663856

Shaq was acting like a big bro to Dwight in the podcast. Telling him to stop being scared to demand the ball. Stop worrying about what people saying. Use that negativity towards him as motivation  on the court. Don't take jump shots - just post and throw the ball out when doubled. Said people in ATL don't want him to shoot in ATL unless he's the black Kyle Korver. Said he should have punched Harden in the face in the locker room for not passing him the ball. Said if he doesn't win, people are going to blame him. Media always blame the bigs...

Edited by BigDog90
  • Like 4

If Shaq can make D8 an aggressive beast in the paint again I want him to have weekly sessions with diesel but I didn't hear the podcast.   Harden annoys me so I would actually think D8 punching his bearded ass would be funny and maybe worth an early season suspension lol

it would definitely set a tone for the new team on not backing down and getting tough with other teams 

Around the 9 or 10 minute mark Shaq and D8 are talking about working out in the gym together. It would be nice if Howard could develop 2-3 elite power post moves like Shaq that are unstoppable.

i recall a recent tnt show where Shaq was explaining that he didn't have a ton of moves like an Olajuwon or like a great guard would have but he did have 2 or 3 unstoppable elite power post moves that got him a bucket every time down the court. Shaqs key gift that he relied mostly on was his power.

if you listen to Dwight  it sounds like he still believes or perhaps knows he has power over 95 percent of this NBA league but the small ball has effected the grind and bang in the paint from the time he first entered the league as there are now more Floppers inside the paint once contact is made like varjou and bogut for example explained by Dwight....so he feels he has to be able to hit 2 to 3 jumpshots a game in order to take advantage of his speed to get to the goal. Dwight said he will be one dimensional if he relied only on the paint though that's going to be his main field 99 percent of the time....I don't like the idea of Howard shooting but his form don't look bad and he actually does make sense but I still don't like him taking 2-3 shots a game.

instead of shooting Dwight need to take shaqs advice and work the paint in multiple ways...which he said he's going to do anyways but he should stick with that only.

If the this dudes plays up to his potential even with losing some athletic ability, he could be scary good but I am only going to judge him by last year and say he's not an impact anymore but if he does, he could change his impact from mediocre to Korver like, he could be 1st team all NBA and maybe just maybe, the Hawks might have a superstar but he needs to really get his aggression up, his quickness up, his skill level up and his overall BBIQ and energy up. 

I want nothing but superstar work ethic. With his body and talent, it could work, I just have a lot of doubt.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Good podcast. D8 is going to kill it. The combination of "Bud" ball and a revitalized Howard just sounds like a right place at the right time scenario. The Hawks will be one of the teams that will be apart of the "Big Man Movement" which will be the "storyline" of the next NBA season.     

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

If the this dudes plays up to his potential even with losing some athletic ability, he could be scary good but I am only going to judge him by last year and say he's not an impact anymore but if he does, he could change his impact from mediocre to Korver like, he could be 1st team all NBA and maybe just maybe, the Hawks might have a superstar but he needs to really get his aggression up, his quickness up, his skill level up and his overall BBIQ and energy up. 

I want nothing but superstar work ethic. With his body and talent, it could work, I just have a lot of doubt.

Just thinking about the comparison to Shaq.  Shaq at 30 was in the middle of his run for 2nd championship with the Lakers.   It was one of his more dominating years.  From Dwight's perspective, I think Dwight has a better physique, he has a better midrange shot, and he is a better defender.   Mentally though... Shaq was aggressive and knew what he wanted to do.  Our people have to take this moment for Dwight and put into his mind that he will be a superstar simply by dominating the paint.   Nobody in this league can stop him.

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Just thinking about the comparison to Shaq.  Shaq at 30 was in the middle of his run for 2nd championship with the Lakers.   It was one of his more dominating years.  From Dwight's perspective, I think Dwight has a better physique, he has a better midrange shot, and he is a better defender.   Mentally though... Shaq was aggressive and knew what he wanted to do.  Our people have to take this moment for Dwight and put into his mind that he will be a superstar simply by dominating the paint.   Nobody in this league can stop him.

He isn't close to LA Shaq. He literally just had a year with mediocre impact. Shaq didn't have one of those till he was in Phoenix. 

Dwight is going to to have to massively improve this off-season. Him, Dennis and Bazemore all need to massively improve. 

Millsap just needs to improve his shooting especially from 3. Korver needs to improve his conditioning.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He isn't close to LA Shaq. He literally just had a year with mediocre impact. Shaq didn't have one of those till he was in Phoenix. 

Dwight is going to to have to massively improve this off-season. Him, Dennis and Bazemore all need to massively improve. 

Millsap just needs to improve his shooting especially from 3. Korver needs to improve his conditioning.

Shaq never played on a team where he wasn't the focus.  The game has changed so much.  Even when it was Shaq and Kobe, the ball went into Shaq.   Now, it's a little man's game and you have big men trying to play like Little men.  That's what happened over the last few years with Dwight.  He was pushed into a DeAndre Jordan role and he has so much more to offer than Jordan. It's up to us to make Howard great again.  That means that we have to focus on putting that killer paint dominator into him.  He should either be on the pick and roll or a fast post move.. but let's not make him think that he has to develop a midrange game.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'm just digging through bball reference. Dwight turns 31 in December. And since the league began measuring blocks (1973-74), Shaq was the last player aged 31 and up (by February of any year) to average 20 PPG, 10 RPG, and 2 BPG, and the only NBA player above that age to do so in this millennium.

Only seven such players have done it, a total of 17 times in the past 40 NBA seasons.

* Shaq, ages 31 (2003-04; 49.0 FT%) and 32 (2004-05; 46.1 FT%)

* Ewing, ages 31 (1993-94) through 35 (1997-98, although just 26 games)

* Admiral, age 32 (1997-98)

* Olajuwon, ages 31 (1993-94) through 33 (1995-96)

* Kareem, ages 31 (1978-79) through 33 (1980-81)

* Elvin Hayes, age 31 (1976-77), ages 33 (1978-79) and 34 (1979-80)

Dwight was the last 20/10/2 NBA player during four of his last five years in Orlando (2007-08, 2008-09, 2010-11, 2011-12), until Unibrow's past three seasons. I feel like that statistical level is attainable for Dwight on this team, especially if Bud can keep his point guards pushing the pace back to prior-year levels.

~lw3

• Like 3

I'm just digging through bball reference. Dwight turns 31 in December. And since the league began measuring blocks (1973-74), Shaq was the last player aged 31 and up (by February of any year) to average 20 PPG, 10 RPG, and 2 BPG, and the only NBA player above that age to do so in this millennium.

Only seven such players have done it, a total of 17 times in the past 40 NBA seasons.

* Shaq, ages 31 (2003-04; 49.0 FT%) and 32 (2004-05; 46.1 FT%)

* Ewing, ages 31 (1993-94) through 35 (1997-98, although just 26 games)

* Admiral, age 32 (1997-98)

* Olajuwon, ages 31 (1993-94) through 33 (1995-96)

* Kareem, ages 31 (1978-79) through 33 (1980-81)

* Elvin Hayes, age 31 (1976-77), ages 33 (1978-79) and 34 (1979-80)

Dwight was the last 20/10/2 NBA player during four of his last five years in Orlando (2007-08, 2008-09, 2010-11, 2011-12), until Unibrow's past three seasons. I feel like that statistical level is attainable for Dwight on this team, especially if Bud can keep his point guards pushing the pace back to prior-year levels.

~lw3

No reason why he couldn't put up numbers like Duncan did his last 10 years or so. Just have a steady presence around the basket on both ends of the floor. I mean Duncan from age 35-60ish was still a very.impactful player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

No reason why he couldn't put up numbers like Duncan did his last 10 years or so. Just have a steady presence around the basket on both ends of the floor. I mean Duncan from age 35-60ish was still a very.impactful player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if Lebron can use the pills in a bag to help his performance...

Nah Scratch that.

I think that Dw8 will be fine.  One of the things that makes the player is having a coach that knows how to put him in good situations.  I believe Bud is that.  How old is Duncan??  42??  The point is that I believe that Bud will keep Dwight in situations where Dw8 can do his best... and Dw8 is more likely to stay in good shape. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Shaq never played on a team where he wasn't the focus.  The game has changed so much.  Even when it was Shaq and Kobe, the ball went into Shaq.   Now, it's a little man's game and you have big men trying to play like Little men.  That's what happened over the last few years with Dwight.  He was pushed into a DeAndre Jordan role and he has so much more to offer than Jordan. It's up to us to make Howard great again.  That means that we have to focus on putting that killer paint dominator into him.  He should either be on the pick and roll or a fast post move.. but let's not make him think that he has to develop a midrange game.

All of those reasons have nothing to do with the reality that he simply wasn't good last year. You can preach hope, I watched the games and went back to watched more Rocket games. He wasn't good. He wasn't impactful. He wasn't consistent. That is what he was. All of the what ifs just don't carry much weight with me. I need to see massive improvement and I hope he does just that.