• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

KK to the Cavaliers

SalvorMallow

17 hours ago, AHF said:

Because the Cavs wouldn't want us to have an option.  But I am hopeful that is the case.  Being able to kick the can to 2020 if we don't like the 2019 pick greatly enhances this deal.

AND it's only Top-10 protected. Meaning it could possibly end up an 11-14 lottery pic. However unlikely, still a possibility. So Hawks shipped future assistant coach on his final declining year out to get a ring before he returns, in exchange for a possible lottery pic in whichever year of '19 or '20 Hawks choose. At which time 3zus will probably be seated right next to Bud in a suit, I might add. That's a GREAT and very smart deal.

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member

From CLE release:

The 2016 NBA Champion Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired guard Kyle Korver from the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for guard/forward Mike Dunleavy, guard Mo Williams, cash considerations and a protected first round draft pick (first possible pick is Cleveland's 2019 first round pick), Cavaliers General Manager David Griffin announced today from Cleveland Clinic Courts.

Okay, more reason for intrigue instead of clarity. C'mon, someone do your job and give us specifics.

Just now, sturt said:

Why is it so difficult for anyone to report the conditions on this draft pick? Damn.

No kidding...I'm still confused. To my knowledge from what I read on squawk yesterday...it's a 2019 Cavs 1st round pick (1-10 protected)...we also have the option of waiting until 2020 with the same stipulations. That's my understanding, even though I'm still not 100% sure.

• Premium Member

So it now appears based on his tweets that C-Viv is saying he's affirming that the 2019 is protected 11-30, and if necessary, gets kicked back to 2020.

Not actually our option, then.

Would never wish an injury on a specific player, but I'm so tempted to transgress that just for the 2018-19 season.

Cavs fans really happy with this trade   #1 gives us a fill in until JR Smith is back,, then once he is back we have another three baller coming off the bench..   dunleavy just wasnt getting it done for us.. mo williams wasnt going to play he actually retired but wouldnt sign off..  so dont expect that to change.. and we give up a 1st rounder in the future..  no biggie its likely the 30th pick anyways...  

Korver  Deal Final...Bud speaks!!

One deal is done.

There may be more trades for the Hawks in the coming days and before the Feb. 23 NBA trade deadline but one roster-altering move has been made.

The Hawks officially completed the trade to send Kyle Korver to the Cavaliers for a Mike Dunleavy Jr., Mo Williams and future first-round pick on Saturday.

The teams were finalizing the trade on Thursday when news of it broke and Korver was informed of the pending deal and held out of a game against the Pelicans. The Hawks continued to seek another team to take Dunleavy, dealing with multiple teams, but ultimately competed the trade in the framework.

With the trade of Korver, the Hawks continue to talk to multiple teams about multiple players. Paul Millsap is the centerpiece of most of the discussions. For now, he remains with the Hawks. As for whether the trade of Korver and possible other moves signals a change in the direction of the franchise, coach Mike Budenholzer said not necessarily.

“My answer to that is I don’t think there should be any assumptions made about anything,” said Budenholzer, who also serves as president of basketball operations. “Organizationally, we have to make hard decisions. I think it’s important that each one of them puts us in the best situation, the best place, to be a great organization. In this case, we made a trade that wasn’t easy. It was a hard decision. This is a good team that we have. This is a team that has shown an ability to compete at a high level. Keeping it together is something … I just wouldn’t make any assumptions going forward.”

Korver played 332 games with the Hawks in his four-plus seasons. He averaged 10.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 31.3 minutes. He shot .462 from the field, .452 from 3-point range and .887 from the free-throw line. He is the Hawks’ all-time leader in free-throw percentage and is third in all-time 3-pointers made list (818). He hit at least one 3-pointer in 311 games with the team. He ranks eighth in NBA history with 1,952 career 3-pointers. He set the NBA record for consecutive games with at least one 3-pointer of 126 that has since been broken by Steph Curry. Korver was one of four Hawks players to make the All-Star team in 2015.

Two days after the trade of Korver, there was still a sense of emotion in Budenholzer.

“Kyle is somebody who was a big part of us building our culture and our success over the last five years,” Budenholzer said. “I have a ton of respect for him and an appreciation for him as a player, more so as a human being. … You know me, I’m a little emotional. Luckily I had 24-48 hours before I had to talk to you guys. A lot of those conversations are private. I think everybody knows how I feel about Kyle.”

The first-round pick the Hawks receive is for 2019. It is top-10 protected and will move to 2020 if not conveyed in 2019. The Hawks also received cash in the deal to pay for the remaining guaranteed money on Williams’ contract. Williams has not played this season after surgery and will not join the Hawks.

“Between injuries and the end of his career, I wouldn’t expect Mo to be a part of us going forward,” Budenholzer said.

Despite looking to move Dunleavy, he is expected to join the Hawks as soon as possible. He won’t be with the team for Saturday’s game at the Mavericks.

“We will bring him in,” Budenholzer said. “I think he’s got the type of game and a skill set that I think he could be very good playing for us. We’ll just have to see how he is, integrate him, continue to build. He’s a player who we’ve liked, and personal I’ve liked, for a long time. We’ll see how he fits into our mix.”

With the departure of Korver, Budenholzer said he expects a bigger role for Tim Hardaway Jr. and more minutes for rookies Taurean Prince and DeAndre Bembry.

Hardaway, who will be a restricted free agent following the season, is also a player the Hawks had discussions about with other teams. His role has increased this season and has averaged 11.4 points per game. He has scored in double figures 21 times, including six 20-point games.

“I’m excited but I also know we have (Prince) and (Bembry) and wings who are capable filling that role as well,” Hardaway said. “We have to come together and play hard together.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/assumptions-about-future-but-hawks-trade-korver-completed/AYnlGszCxVSSv4XZBGpR9H/

• Moderators

With the news that there is no option, I'm back unexcited about this one.  The option would have been huge.  Two years from now I expect Cavs to be excellent.  Would rather have waited and tried to extract similar value from another team over the next 5 weeks.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, sturt said:

All sentimentality aside, there is a legit argument that says it is entirely plausible that replacing these numbers with minutes for Prince, Bembry and THJr is a good idea.

2017-01-07_2238.png

2017-01-07_2332.png

Giving minutes to THJr who has earned them (unlike Baze this year) and to our rookies who haven't earned them but for whom we should have hope about their ability to seriously develop is the best reason to like this trade.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Yeah, it feels too disrespectful in a way to say it, but as much as Korver's game carried us when this team was in its prime, it appears that this year the reverse is true. Classic addition by subtraction. And you might try to ride that out with a younger player, or a player who you have under contract for awhile... might... but under the circumstances, it does make all the sense in the world to grab the best deal you can grab.

Before looking at this, I was thinking Budcox seeming eagerness to do this deal (ie, so far ahead of the deadline) was a case of CLE being eager to replace JR Smith, and a concern that waiting too long might mean CLE moves on and finds some other player on some other team to deal for.

But now, I'm thinking it's both. That part is true, but I also am inclined to think our own season's success was being held back by the Korver's slower step and significantly reduced production reflected by these numbers above. We needed to move on, and all the more so given that we have just drafted two young wings who we're so convinced have bright futures in front of them. Doesn't hurt that THJr's game seems to finally be developing into a reliable asset, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Before looking at this, I was thinking Budcox seeming eagerness to do this deal (ie, so far ahead of the deadline) was a case of CLE being eager to replace JR Smith, and a concern that waiting too long might mean CLE moves on and finds some other player on some other team to deal for.

Yeah, that and don't know how else we would be offered a first no matter where it ends up being slotted. Hoping we hang on to Tim because its really looking much better right now with him getting good minutes. Hope Bud makes that a consistent routine because it would benefit both Tim and us.

• Premium Member

THjr's 82games numbers are strong, @Thomas.

Again, said it maybe 3 times already in the last 3 days... the trade bait chatter is click bait beggars' cheese. I encourage my brothers and sisters in the Church of Hawksquawk... don't take the cheese.