• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sap off the market?

Vol4ever

30 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

What good is that when with him you aren't going to win a title.

We aren't going to win one without him that is for sure. I'd rather be competitive and in the playoffs then something like the Braves have been the last few years

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, swanlee said:

We aren't going to win one without him that is for sure. I'd rather be competitive and in the playoffs then something like the Braves have been the last few years

That's your better chance though if done right. The Braves are going to be in pretty good shape from 2018-beyond.

It's also not a comparable situation because the Braves never were throwing down the money for Jason Heyward and Justin Upton (there is a hard cap in baseball, there aren't loopholes like basketball), plus the depth they had past their starting rotation looked pretty bleak. MAYBE.....MAYBE the Braves bounce back to mid 80s-high 80s in wins in 2015 BUT that would have been it!

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, swanlee said:

Hawks won't be competitive in the playoffs with this team. That's just insanity to expect something different. They'll be lucky to make it to the second round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

He's gonna screw us. I just know it.

Yeah, because that's exactly the type of guy he's demonstrated that he is his entire career. You called it :agree:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Didn't we learn at some point that ORL had offered Sap the same or maybe even more money last go-round as we did?

Having said that, I don't think anyone makes any decisions with 4 or more months left in what everyone knew going-in would be a pivot season. It makes for a lot of recreational fan chatter here and elsewhere, but Sap doesn't really know what he is going to want to do until he sees where this ends up, and likewise Budcox... there's just too much yet to be learned about what we have here (or don't have).

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hazer said:

Yeah, because that's exactly the type of guy he's demonstrated that he is his entire career. You called it :agree:

I saw similar posts last season around this time. Don't get me wrong, I love Sap both on and off the court, but this is a business. You're gonna have these high profile superstars talking to Sap this offseason trying to convince him that he is the missing piece to their championship puzzle. Anything can happen.

So we've done this to him twice now. What reason does he actually have to resign in the off-season? Sure we want him here but if he wants a ring, I don't think he's going to get it with this team. 

Also, how did Horford lie? Did he promise to resign here? He looked like he was gone two seasons ago. 

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

I saw similar posts last season around this time. Don't get me wrong, I love Sap both on and off the court, but this is a business. You're gonna have these high profile superstars talking to Sap this offseason trying to convince him that he is the missing piece to their championship puzzle. Anything can happen.

Apples and oranges. Whorefart mailed it in for 2 years, Sap bleeds out there and has proclaimed his heart is here. You're paying attention, right?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mdizzle5 said:

So we've done this to him twice now. What reason does he actually have to resign in the off-season? Sure we want him here but if he wants a ring, I don't think he's going to get it with this team. 

Also, how did Horford lie? Did he promise to resign here? He looked like he was gone two seasons ago. 

Done what twice, listened to offers for our best player? Who wouldn't, isn't that how you're a good GM? What reason to re-sign? Because he stated his heart is here and he wants to return. Reason being he likes Bud and the city of Atlanta. Whorefart said he wanted a center here so he could play his natural position of PF. We got him one and he bolted anyway, which he apparently had already decided by the previous All-Star weekend. Although he lied to management acting like he wanted to stay. Clear?

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

How many times do players need to change teams before fans stop treating these comments as some lifetime commitment? He said what most players would in that situation. That doesn't mean Sap is planning to leave, but he's going to have an open mind when he hears his offers. Let's be honest, he doesn't get much love from the home fans (compared to other cities) and he's had to deal with very public trade talks from the front office. I wouldn't blame him at all for wanting to move on. Especially if we get waxed in the playoffs again.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Pacman21 said:

Makes sense to keep him it's too late in the season to tank and your probably not getting much back for a FA to be

This is the reality.  I think if everyone saw what is probably being offered then we'd all be on board with just keeping him.   

A total teardown and rebuild will probably just put us right back in this spot 5 years from now.   Why not try to add to what we have ?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Hawks won't be competitive in the playoffs with this team. That's just insanity to expect something different. They'll be lucky to make it to the second round.

Huh? We have not tried in the playoffs with Howard, and DS as a Starter and TH jr. playing well. We certainly are built very differently then previous Hawks teams, we can actually rebound.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

I do hope we keep him. Paul with Dwight and Dennis is a really good core to build around.

Yep and this is not a Core that has been through the playoffs together so it's not like we are trying to do the same thing over and over.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, swanlee said:

Huh? We have not tried in the playoffs with Howard, and DS as a Starter and TH jr. playing well. We certainly are built very differently then previous Hawks teams, we can actually rebound.

That's whats frustrating to me with the Korver trade.   If we aren't going to find an actual scorer at the wing at least load up with guys who can hit the 3.   With Sap and Howard down low we can do some real damage if we had a 2 and 3 that could hit 3s.  

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

That's whats frustrating to me with the Korver trade.   If we aren't going to find an actual scorer at the wing at least load up with guys who can hit the 3.   With Sap and Howard down low we can do some real damage if we had a 2 and 3 that could hit 3s.  

Korver trade was more annoying cause we helped out the Cavs. I can almost justify it otherwise as we have younger better defenders that can take his minutes and we've played good without him this season, he's also never been the same since the injury. I'm almost OK moving him but not OK with helping out the Cav's.

SAP on the other hand as our best player and glue that holds the team together would kill our season if we traded him.

• Like 2