• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Time to go in a different direction

smoove31210

New coach? Seriously need a GM who can seriously build a team.....I personally was not a fan of resigning Kent Bazemore, we did a terrible job of building bench depth. We have 4 guys at least on the roster that would not either A) be in the league right now or B) be in the D-League or maybe overseas! 

• Like 3

A new coach wouldn't matter, because all teams today choose to play offense this way:

1. Run it through the high post
2. PNR

THEN, they may post up on the low block, but as been shown through stats.nba.com, having Howard post up doesn't really help.

Edited by Lurker

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A new coach wouldn't matter, because all teams today choose to play offense this way:

2. PNR

THEN, they may post up on the low block, but as been shown through stats.nba.com, having Howard post up doesn't really help.

Who brought in Howard and who is using him the way he is currently being used?

When Bud says he's going to feed Dwight, he doesn't mean doing it on the low block primarily. He mainly means drive and dishes and when he rolls hard to the rim.

And he got touches this way and this team tried at least five more times to **get him the ball** and failed because honestly, neither Dennis nor Tim know how to feed the ball inside unless they are dribble driving, like the modern game.

• Like 1

And here's a good example of this in this game:

Set play OOT was called for Howard, I'm pretty sure, and due to it, both Tim and Dennis try to execute the play. Both hold the ball for a few seconds, nervous as they are not sure they can get the ball in without turning it over (as they aren't used to playing this way), then Ilyasova tries to get the ball to Howard and there's a turnover.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

When Bud says he's going to feed Dwight, he doesn't mean doing it on the low block primarily. He mainly means drive and dishes and when he rolls hard to the rim.

And he got touches this way and this team tried at least five more times to **get him the ball** and failed because honestly, neither Dennis nor Tim know how to feed the ball inside unless they are dribble driving, like the modern game.

I repeat...who is asking Dennis and Tim to feed the post when as you put it, they can't do it?

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I repeat...who is asking Dennis and Tim to feed the post when as you put it, they can't do it?

Bud.
But honestly, the only two players that can feed Dwight how he should be on the team is hurt (don't mean Kent) and not trusted.

Wait.

• Premium Member
Just now, Lurker said:

Bud.
But honestly, the only two players that can feed Dwight how he should be on the team is hurt (don't mean Kent) and not trusted.

Wait.

He was ordering that sh-t at full health...particularly at the beginning of the season

Offensively spoken Howard simply isn't the player Coach Bud and the FO made out to be. They thought he's capable of a PNR but he isn't and it hurts our variability on offense. We can only run the 1-4pnr because Howard isn't really rolling hard. He's rolling slow. Howards game is what it is. The fault is in the FO for constantly setting up plays around  D8 which won't work with this offense. In the end it gets Dennis AND D8 frustrated and additionally we get to lose possession after possession 

• Like 2

Strip Bud of his presidential power, let Millsap walk, trade Dwight/Bazemore and take a step back for a year. It'd help more than just staying the course and you could even end up with a Blazers like surprise (last year).

At the very least, Bud's presidential power needs to be stripped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

2. PNR

Bench Howard. He's not a starter in today's NBA. The Hawks play better with Millsap at C.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Strip Bud of his presidential power, let Millsap walk, trade Dwight/Bazemore and take a step back for a year. It'd help more than just staying the course and you could even end up with a Blazers like surprise (last year).

At the very least, Bud's presidential power needs to be stripped.

I'm not sure how much patience ownership has left with Bud but I can definitely tell ownership is starting to get their influence on roster management with the team going away from cheap journeymen (Carroll, Mack, Baze, etc) to chasing stars (George, Butler) in midseason, that's not Bud like.

Nobody is going to take Dwight and Baze unless you take worse contract/s back or give up a 1st. I'd say have them come off the bench and they dominate 2nd units, maybe somebody would give up a late 1st.

They'd end up like the Mavs the past couple of years, veteran team that keeps making the playoffs but don't expect them to make any noise. POR is young.

1 hour ago, StephenHawking said:

We can only run the 1-4pnr because Howard isn't really rolling hard. He's rolling slow.

He does roll slow as hell lol.

20 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Bench Howard. He's not a starter in today's NBA. The Hawks play better with Millsap at C.

Getting paid way too much for that.  Plus a benching would kill his morale no doubt.  

I would like to see a Dennis-Thabo-Prince-Ilyasova-Sap lineup with Bembry, Tim, and Dwight heading the second unit.  If Sap protested playing against Cs amidst nagging injuries in a contract year I couldn't knock him though.

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

He does roll slow as hell lol.

Getting paid way too much for that.  Plus a benching would kill his morale no doubt.  

I would like to see a Dennis-Thabo-Prince-Ilyasova-Sap lineup with Bembry, Tim, and Dwight heading the second unit.  If Sap protested playing against Cs amidst nagging injuries in a contract year I couldn't knock him though.

23 mil a year for 2 more years will be a bargain seeing how the cap will rise and salaries going up more.

If Dwight is really all about trying to change his reputation and wanting to win in ATL it's his best bet. Otherwise his reputation is damaged beyond repair like Rondo.

He could still get big minutes like Kanter and Monroe.

That'd be a nice lineup.

I question if Millsap would get shut down soon. Knee injuries are no joke and he's trying to get that last big pay day. A torn ACL would cost him millions.

5 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Sorry, but no line up change is going to make this team better. Many thought Korver was the problem... Now it's Dwight.

This roster is too damn flawed and it just lacks talent.

The problem is that they can't shoot nor defend the three. On top of that, this team doesn't have players that are consistently good.

Two years ago this team had 4 starters that were productive most every night... Now, who is consistent in the starting line up?

This roster is full of erratic players now. Honestly, this should have been obvious from day one.

This. I think the roles are screwed up but Atlanta needs to move Dwight and Bazemore. They need to bring in Butler or George. They need to keep Tim. Dennis needs to excel at just the PnR. 

Front office should have recognized that it was time to go in a different direction after they couldn't resign Horford. Instead, for whatever reason, they decided to keep being a treadmill team rather than rebuild. They tried to do a semi-retooling with the Teague and Korver trade, but signing Howard + Bazemore and putting us in this predicament with Millsap this offseason limits what we can do in the future.

I agree with getting a true GM, but I still want Bud as the head coach. I believe Howard gets too much blame from people and I also think he will step up a notch in the playoffs. Howard is having a good season. That said, the problem is his style of play just doesn't really fit the NBA anymore and it definitely doesn't fit the way Bud wants to play basketball. That is on the front office for failing to recognize that prior to signing him.

• Like 2