• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Time to go in a different direction

smoove31210

vor 7 Stunden, Hotlanta1981 sagte:

The problem is that they can't shoot nor defend the three.

They are well able to defend the 3. The problem is buds defensive scheme. The team doesn't need to sag into the paint when you have D8 glued in there already. That and the double teaming is a problem as long as d8 is on the floor because he isn't able to close out on the weak side.  It only makes sense when we play without a well rebounding 5(as last year) who's preferably agile.

But Bud didn't catch up on the fact that we have a completely different team from last year.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Bud is fine and while i think bud and wilcox as a gm has been bad so far, it's too early to tell if they know what they are doing.

They banked on Korver and Baze and Hardaway being able to hit 3s this year.   That didn't work out but it wasn't a stretch to think that would work.   That right there is pretty much the problem.   There are other smaller problems but thats a the big one.   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

They are well able to defend the 3. The problem is buds defensive scheme. The team doesn't need to sag into the paint when you have D8 glued in there already. That and the double teaming is a problem as long as d8 is on the floor because he isn't able to close out on the weak side.  It only makes sense when we play without a well rebounding 5(as last year) who's preferably agile.

But Bud didn't catch up on the fact that we have a completely different team from last year.

His defense don't work with Dwight but he's damned to continuing trying. He tried with Mike Muscala only to stop playing him when he realize Mike doesn't have the tools for the NBA.

• Moderators

We are 25th in 3 point percentage and our point differential is -1.1.   The only other playoff team close to that number is Indy.  

We lack talent which is on Bud and Wilcox.   As far as coaching?   This team has overachieved like all of Bud's teams.   Without Sap (and Baze) we are circling the drain because of our lack of talent.  But with them we'd still be grabbing the 4th or 5th playoff spot which is amazing considering what we are working with.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We are 25th in 3 point percentage and our point differential is -1.1.   The only other playoff team close to that number is Indy.  

The differential was -.5 in the 38-44 season.  At this point it doesn't look like this team can push 7 games in a first round.  Where you at Pero?!

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

When Bud says he's going to feed Dwight, he doesn't mean doing it on the low block primarily. He mainly means drive and dishes and when he rolls hard to the rim.

And he got touches this way and this team tried at least five more times to **get him the ball** and failed because honestly, neither Dennis nor Tim know how to feed the ball inside unless they are dribble driving, like the modern game.

So you admit this isn't Dwights fault! That's all I wanted to hear. While dwight does do some things we can all disagree with there's some things he does well but can't be rewarded for it. Not being able to feed a traditional big man really shows that the NBA has changed BIG time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bankingitbig said:

Front office should have recognized that it was time to go in a different direction after they couldn't resign Horford. Instead, for whatever reason, they decided to keep being a treadmill team rather than rebuild. They tried to do a semi-retooling with the Teague and Korver trade, but signing Howard + Bazemore and putting us in this predicament with Millsap this offseason limits what we can do in the future.

I agree with getting a true GM, but I still want Bud as the head coach. I believe Howard gets too much blame from people and I also think he will step up a notch in the playoffs. Howard is having a good season. That said, the problem is his style of play just doesn't really fit the NBA anymore and it definitely doesn't fit the way Bud wants to play basketball. That is on the front office for failing to recognize that prior to signing him.

Excellent post.

I really don't care anymore....if I were bud I'd just start building around Dennis, THJ, Prince. In my opinion these 3 guys are starter material in the near future  which may come with some bad first seasons but that's just apart of being new starters in the NBA. And from there we need to find our future big men to go along with them since Sap and Howard are much older.

So because we can't fit with Howard and since Sap is likely to command too much money the only other option is to get younger immediately and let these young guys get some real time burn. The only vets I would consider keeping is illayasova and Calderon.

Drafts aren't very promising in the NBA but I would trade up if we could. Unlike many around here I also believe bazemore would be wanted by certain teams and that his contract isn't too hard to get rid of if the Hawks really want to.

So next season let's roll with:

starters

pg-Dennis 

sg-THJ

sf-Prince

pf-????

c-????

Bench

pg-Calderon 

sg-Bembry 

sf-?????

pf-Illayasova 

c-Humphries 

may be a tad unrealistic to find two new starters in one off season but it can be done with some trades. Bud has to start playing the young guys simple as that. 

1. Turn Kent Bazemore's contract into Danny Green's contract and trade him. That might be all you need to do but if not, attach one of the firsts you traded for along with it.
2. "Greg Monroe" Dwight Howard or see if a team like Milwaukee is stupid and will take him.
3. Let Paul Millsap walk.

Resign Tim Hardaway Jr/Ersan Ilyasova.
Move up to the 10-12 slot in the draft again and grab Justin Patton. If not possible, get Ivan Rabb or a guy like Zach Collins (if he declares). Isaiah Hartenstein is another option.
Take Tyler Lydon or Alec Peters with your second.

This takes some thinking, but who is an under the radar veteran that is a good defender? Sign them.

3 hours ago, Bankingitbig said:

Front office should have recognized that it was time to go in a different direction after they couldn't resign Horford. Instead, for whatever reason, they decided to keep being a treadmill team rather than rebuild. They tried to do a semi-retooling with the Teague and Korver trade, but signing Howard + Bazemore and putting us in this predicament with Millsap this offseason limits what we can do in the future.

I agree with getting a true GM, but I still want Bud as the head coach. I believe Howard gets too much blame from people and I also think he will step up a notch in the playoffs. Howard is having a good season. That said, the problem is his style of play just doesn't really fit the NBA anymore and it definitely doesn't fit the way Bud wants to play basketball. That is on the front office for failing to recognize that prior to signing him.

I am not sure if I want bud as a coach.  Bud coachs with feeling.  He liked korver, but korver starting days were long gone. He likes bazemore, and yes I did wanted them to resign him, but bazemore is a bust and 2 squad guy at best, he is too inconsistent with no left handles and drives to the basket with his body upright , that is why he get stripped all he time.  Bud should sit him and start hardway, why?  Because he desires it. Best player plays , right? Well that I was raised. Not based on bud's style of coaching, and that is, " because I like u".

I like the idea of Sap at the 5, or at the 4 with a shooter at the 5 (like with Al, but we need better rebounding). I loved the idea of Howard but am souring pretty bad on the fit.

Sap is our best player, a top 3 PF and a worker. I say resign him and unleash him the way we did the past two seasons. Build AROUND our best player. Ditch Howard and bring in tons of shooting. I'm convinced we can deal Howard for a decent package somewhere, basically let's just retool and dramatically improve our depth, try to bring in a wing with our assets. Resign THJ and Ilyasova too, they're good players.

Here's the thing: our depth is TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. Prince and Dennis are talented but young and they show it. Millsap and Howard are good (yes, Howard is a good player) but they don't fit yet and might never fit. Ilyasova and Hardaway are solid ... and that's literally all we've got. Bazemore and Thabo aren't cutting it.

Millsap is a friggin awesome player, he deserves better.

Bud just caught lightning in a bottle being ahead of the curve on the pace and space ideal.  

A whole hell of a lot has changed since Kyle was the TS% King, DeMarre was the "heart," we had the best PG trio in the league by far, and two AS Stretch 4s to boot.  I can understand those things shall pass, but to totally abandon the modern style to suit a C who can't play in space on either end will forever puzzle me.  Pop got not one but 2 PF/Cs who can stretch the floor on offense and yet another who excels at perimeter defense.  

Splitter's injury woes and whatever the hell is going on with Hump and Bud didnt help matters.  Still this team should be constructed considerably better than it is.  It's cool to have Dwight for the glass dominance but his liabilities must be fully accounted for with your Big depth.  You gotta have some type of facilitation, perimeter mobility, and mid-range prowess.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Even if I'd want to not change much, Dwight Howard should get "Greg Monroe'd" (if he disagrees, then trade him) and Kent Bazemore should get traded. I still think this offense is not far from a fix, but it can't happen until the summer. Even if something major isn't done, just doing something like this:

1. Eat the money on Kent Bazemore's contract to where it looks like Danny Green's, attach one of the first round picks that you traded for to it, and trade for a mid second round pick for this year at the draft.
2. Privately talk to Dwight Howard and see if he'll agree to a bench role like Greg Monroe's.
3. Draft one of the following with your first pick: Patton/Hartenstein (if him, a center will probably need to be acquired to let him develop for a year)/J. Collins/Rabb/Z. Collins (if he goes)/Adebayo.
4. Take Tyler Lydon and Alec Peters with your second round picks (assuming that you can get one via doing #1).
5. Try to sign a guy like PJ Tucker in the MLE.
6. Bring back Millsap and Hardaway Jr.

May fix the offense. The general idea is to get more shooting.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

It's cool to have Dwight for the glass dominance but his liabilities must be fully accounted for with your Big depth.

Yes!   We have no backup center.   We haven't had a backup center all year.    We went in with Moose, Hump, Splitter.   That's a joke anyway but becomes a bigger joke when Splitter can't suit up, Hump doesn't see the floor and....well....Moose.   

You don't have to bench or trade Dwight to compete in the modern NBA.   The Cavs start Thompson.   But you have to have shooters.  Shooters.   3 point shooters.   We have none. 

The Cavs have 9 (Nine!) players shooting over 37% from 3.    We have 1 (Uno) and that's Ersan.   

22 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't understand what this means.

I'm meaning eat some of the money on Bazemore's contract. He is untradeable if you don't...well maybe not. Maybe call Indiana and ask for a swap of bad contracts of Bazemore and Eillis.

• Like 2