The Rise Of Taurean Prince

Wurider05

I understand that it's unfair to place the Kawhi, Jimmy type comparison's on Taurean, which I most definitely agree with. But it's also absurd to sit in here and place caps on his potential as an NBA player. You can't say don't compare him to a superstar but in the same breath compare him to so middle of the pack/fringe all star wing with a name. No comparisons should mean no comparisons period. Nobody knows how good he can be, but it's obvious that he looks pretty damn good out on the court for a seldom used rookie in his first playoff run.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

I figured Bud's successor will be one of those assistants already on staff that still hung around despite Snyder and Atkinson leaving.

Depends on who's still around, who's available (3zus), and who's better.

15 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

It's absurd to compare Taurean to Kawhi period. Why do we have to make these comparisons in the first place? Can't we just let Taurean show us who he is? I'm just not letting my hopes get up on a guy who has yet to show us anything yet. I really do hope Taurean proves me wrong and becomes great because we all know how long it's been since we've had a young player to be excited about, but I think if he's ceiling is 15, 5, & 5, then that's nothing to be down on. At this point, I don't see the x-factor that Kawhi, George, and Butler had in them years 1-3. I see Taurean as more of wild card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on not comparing him, he will be his own great player. But yet to show us anything yet? Just passed Maravich as only Hawks rookie to score in double digits in 4 straight playoff games. His first 4, mind you. That's rare air already.

• Like 2

Prince is not a super, duper all star stud.  Not yet, any way.  We all love to

compare our players to other elite players we see or have seen.

What I like about Prince:

Hawks needed a player for his position and he's filing that need very well.

He has the hustle that we really like.  No sleep walk from him!

He's sneaky fast.  Has the uncanny ability to be at the right place at the

right time, whether it's to grab that rebound or to grab that pass and cram

it in for two!

When he's out for rest, I don't believe any of us thinks, "Oh, crap.  Here comes

Prince back in the game."  Nope.  We're all happy to see him out on the floor.

Oh, yeah.  Everyone wants that, do everything, always selected on the all

everything NBA all star team.

Not many of them out there.

Hawks have a team.  Five starters and at least one back up, bench player for

every position.  Like parts of a puzzle, each player must fit for the picture

to be complete.  Prince fits.  He's good at a lot of different things.  He may

not be "the greatest" but he's far better than a lot of NBA players and he's

sill a rookie and just a recent starter.

• Like 2

Like the no nonsense stuff too. He slams it home on a break then gets back down the court on defense. No posing for the camera, no John Wall posing towards the opponents or the fans. No trash talking just all out hustle and he has gotten pretty damn good now. Has that all business attitude like James Worthy and Scottie Pippen had. Very good teammate to have.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I do not know what he could be. I seen others scoring ability and I have always stated he reminds me of Crash but his ability to be a playmaker makes his offensive impact more potent than it would normally be. It would not surprise me if he averaged 20-22 ppg in the NBA even if it is not likely. 

I kinda see a combination of Scottie Pippen, Rip Hamilton, Crash and Paul George. Not completely the best of the three but got shades of each of them to a degree.

Pippen ability to use his strength and off ball steals awareness like Pip. He's not the athlete or has the elite hand size like Pip. 

Rip ability to have excellent pass perception, BBIQ on offense, great timing on offense and his hand off and cutting ability. 

Crash in the all around game and elite hustle ability, strength and work ethic. No where near the athlete of Crash.

Paul George in the fact that he reads angles extremely well and he's acrobatic for a bigger SF. He doesn't have the iso skills of PG yet who doesn't have great iso skills but Prince has average and at times below average iso skills. 

The player who he reminds me most of is Crash. But he's not the athlete Crash was and he's not the athlete PG is either. Clearly not the athlete Pippen was. Not saying he isn't a solid athlete but those were great athletes in their time. He's as athlete as Rip to me. Not the shooter Rip was though but has more range.

I agree with this. He shows shades of these players and it's fair to say that he reminds us of certain guys past and present... What I don't agree with is need on the forums to make these high comparisons and comparing our youngins to guys that have proved themselves. To say that he could be our Kawhi or whoever is absurd and unfair. Just let Taurean be his own man and develop into who he is supposed to be... Personally, I don't see superstar. I see him more as a jack and as a wild card at this point. I think the ceiling is lower than elite, but I would love for him to develop into the SF this team desperately needs. A fan fave that gives our future #1 & 2 the support they need. I think he's going to be one of our future three Musketeers. I don't expect him ever to be the face of the franchise or a guy that gets talked about much on BSPN. I believe at the absolute best, he's Grant Hill, but I really don't get that notion that's who'll he'll become. I see more utility in him. I really believe Taurean will become his own man and be something that's unique in the league... Taurean's biggest attribute is his intelligence. I can tell he understands the game and hung out with KK while he was here. Sky's the limit and I hope he proves me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Kinda surprised its been that long with all the cats that have entered since then. Wow.

Think of our draft record and how many good picks we have had that have made the playoffs their rookie year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Kinda surprised its been that long with all the cats that have entered since then. Wow.

Most rookies play for bad teams. Even for Prince, he was a lottery pick. If he played where he would have been, he wouldn't get the minutes or he would but they won't be in the playoffs. 

Also, a lot of rookies are 19 and 20, how many of them could get PT at that age is another thing.

• Like 1

So a pretty big question early in the season was the shooting of Prince. In the playoffs he's hitting 57% from the floor and 36 % from three. Very nice climb to this level of play and of course the timing couldn't possibly be better.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2990962/taurean-prince

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AHF said:

Think of our draft record and how many good picks we have had that have made the playoffs their rookie year.

Indeed, indeed.  Who'm I kidding, I'm jus' in for your new avatar.  Haaaaa!!!!!

You mod equally as proficient as Chuk 'eggsperts' for TNT.  Ohhhhhh ... ok, that felt like it went too far.  I sorry, AHoleF.

Self-ban

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You mod equally as proficient as Chuk 'eggsperts' for TNT.  Ohhhhhh ... ok, that felt like it went too far.  I sorry, AHoleF.

You got a lil sadistic streak huh? Well, it was really nice knowing ya...

Bandz a make kg dance...

I'm a little late to the dance but despite struggling with his shot in game 5, Taurean did do a few nice "little things" (there it is again) throughout the game and some of those subtle "little things" were happening with that 3rd quarter response run. Hustle and making shots at the rim when Washington started pretending he didn't exist again.

In the first half though we saw a lot of what we saw when he was playing more in the regular season. If you put more pressure than just maybe a big man at the rim on him, he struggles to finish. One of the worst sequences of the game though was when Taurean made two straight nice passes that resulted in buckets near the end of the first half...and on the next sequence, Bazemore decided to do it himself instead of letting Taurean try to create something and the result? Missed ISO bucket by Bazemore.